Gaming regrets
  • Oasis?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • My biggest regret is that page turn.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I don't mind a bit of Madness but they're not fit to shine Chas & Dave's thruppeny bits.
  • I heard Chas & Dave have a collab coming out with Dr Dre... Knees up motherfucker.

Yeah I know, but it tickles me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re: PS2/GC/OLDBOX and apathy kicking in - that is when diminishing returns started to kick in re graphics etc. We weren't right at that point (I'd say we are now) - but we were certainly approaching the peak of the hill. It's also when a lot of people here hit a certain age when many probably stop playing.

It was certainly a point at which I was going to give up the whole thing. Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX and Viewtiful Joe on GC pulled me back. Then RType Final and Gradius V on PS2 consolidated that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My apathy kicked in the generation before, it was the Dreamcast that sucked me back in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    N64 and Saturn kept me going. PS1 was a damp cloth on the whole. But the whole Halo love in really turned me off - and when it looked like no-one was going to try building anything different I was ready to pack it all in.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'd imagine that Suggs and pals, Ali Campbell and pals, and Paul Weller and pals all set new records for selling records
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I heard Chas & Dave have a collab coming out with Dr Dre... Knees up motherfucker. Yeah I know, but it tickles me.

Me too :D
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Re: PS2/GC/OLDBOX and apathy kicking in - that is when diminishing returns started to kick in re graphics etc.

It was the lack of gameplay evolution that disappointed me. Vice City would've been a far lesser experience on PS1 with LEGO graphics, but I was most amazed by its freedom and attributed that to the PS2's power. The PS1's era was the dawn of 3D and its effect on gameplay, so that was huge. Then 3dfx and the early GeForce cards allowed the PC to jump a generation ahead.

I was lucky in having such a PC and a PS1, but a handful of games aside, the PS2 failed to progress beyond what they'd offered in combination for years (and then Operation Flashpoint turned up). It was the Xbox that tried, and imagine that with the PS2's library in tandem with its own.
  • That is largely how I feel about this gen.
    Things be shinier but for the most the extra power isn't being used to add new gameplay. For the most.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'd like Digital Foundry to do a piece on how much untapped hardware potential there is. Crysis is now ten, and whatever you think of it (I've never played it), there hasn't been another of its kind since.

Even if more software did max the best of our current hardware, you get the feeling that that'd be through poor optimisation as much as push. But that's okay — I'd still like to see it. It's almost as if the current consoles are deliberately hobbled to allow devs to keep pace. If that's not true now, when will it be?

Perhaps if Sony consolidated their talent and just made a few games each year? I'd take 20-30 games per year in total if I found one or two special. 'Course, that'd surely have the reverse effect of franchise ubersafety.
  • Crysis was peak PC elitism, since then the focus has shifted from top end tinkerage to ease of use, mainly down to Steam.

I guess VR is the big shift this gen, or this gen's gimmicky Kinect. Time will tell.

It is either that or we all bought powerful consoles to play indie games.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Crysis was peak PC elitism

It was grabbed hold of and waved about as such, but it should've been a universal celebration of visual advancement.

From Tomb Raider's T. rex to Tenchu's roof runs in the space of two years... That's not our age, it was the era. Most modern stealth games are worse than Thief!
  • Throwing my collection of Crash magazines in the bin.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Not worth ebaying?

I done quite well when I sold all my mags on there.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It was years ago before ebay probably.

Although I did make a bit selling some early Mojo magazines on ebay a few years back. The arse seems to have fallen out the magazine market now.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Escape wrote:
    Crysis was peak PC elitism

It was grabbed hold of and waved about as such, but it should've been a universal celebration of visual advancement.

From Tomb Raider's T. rex to Tenchu's roof runs in the space of two years... That's not our age, it was the era. Most modern stealth games are worse than Thief!

I, and several other of the PC crew guys, have stated multiple times that Crysis deserved to be celebrated, and not just for its visual splendour.

Raw graphics aside, it was a triumph of gameplay and environmental design. It was dozens of awesome sandboxes that gave you a base to attack and asked you to solve the "puzzle" as you saw fit. It solved the Superman conundrum (namely, how do you make a really powerful character fun to play?) by basically saying fuck it, and not hiding your powers away behind unlocks or bullshit plot contrivances to strip you of your powers and make you vulnerable.

Instead, it gave you situations where using the full array of your insane capabilities was fun and rewarding, and made the enemies smart and reactive enough that your victory felt earned.

No game since has struck that balance as well as the original Crysis, imo. The Sains Row games, from 3 onwards, gave you insane powers, but the world design suffered as a consequence, and, like Infamous, movement feels floaty and lacks weight. The enemies are thick as shit as well.

That first Crysis though - even forgetting the brilliant graphics, it's an incredible game. The sequels lost a lot of that as areas became less open and it became more of a CoDesque duck shoot.

It is still, to this day, my favourite FPS.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!