Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Looks like the CoD version of the Tower from Destiny. Odd.
  • COD WW2 IS THIRD PERSON?????

See page turn. Oddness due to Normandy beach being "the tower."
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Christ. Just watched a playthrough of a stealth section. I'm out.
  • So that new Need For Speed game EA has coming out...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Rancid.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's some game hidden under gambling and cards maybe, but it's hard to see. Who the fuck wants to organise cards and gamble for loot and go through page after page of this shit when they buy a racing game? Seriously, EA can just keep their lousy 'games'.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There must be a load of people gobbling it up though, the move to EA Access is all a part of it. So you feel like you're getting the game for nowt and are then more likely to spend a bit of money to catch up to the grinders who unlock this stuff after spending money upfront on the game when it's released.
  • The Belgian Gambling Commission have opened an investigation into the use of loot crates in video games (specifically Overwatch and Star Wars Battlefront)

Please excuse the formatting...

"The gambling commission is investigating the new video game SW: Battlefront II. In this game, you can pay money for upgrades, only you don't know what you're getting beforehand. Overwatch, another popular game, is also being investigated.

[...]

The game features loot crates, which offer items but the contents are random. "Therein lies the problem", says director of the gambling commission Peter Naessens to VTM news. "It depends on luck and at that point you're gambling."

The commission says this game poses a danger to minors, who are under (social) pressure to spend a lot of money on the game.That's why they're starting an investigation. "If we are dealing with a game of chance, they need to have a permit."

In the worst case scenario, this could lead to fines of hundreds of thousands of euros. The game could also be removed from stores. EA, developer of the game, declined to comment."
  • Was thinking about this earlier, and while what's in SWBF2 is a complete cluster fuck, I can't lie, even if EA put the ability to ollie behind a loot-boxed paywall, I'd like still buy the Digital Early Access Gold Deluxe Edition of Skate 4.
  • To flip this about, is there any game/franchise/situation where you'd happily throw your money at it?
  • I paid for stuff in h5, but I had gift cards and I got the game for free because you lot are legends.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    To flip this about, is there any game/franchise/situation where you'd happily throw your money at it?

No.

Also, Payback looks like a PS3 game with its juddery framerate.
  • To flip this about, is there any game/franchise/situation where you'd happily throw your money at it?

A free to play one. That implemented microtransactions well. So without loot boxes.
  • I've put a few quid into World Of Warships in the past, which is free to play. Have been quite happy to do so to, It's mostly pretty reasonable in it's implementation I think, I never spent more than the cost of a full game. There was some stuff that was far too expensive like special premium ships, but most of them are more like reskins anyway.
  • I've bought skins in the past for stuff like Gears and SFIV. I'd rather they were given out as performance based rewards like they used to be, but that's gone the way of the dodo it seems.

The lootboxes themselves are the problem for me. Paying real money for a chance at getting what you want is cancer. People criticise shark cards in GTA online but at least with those you know exactly what you're getting for your dosh. 

The Steam marketplace offers a way around it somewhat by letting people buy and sell their stuff. Prices can be high but you're getting the specific item you want. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar for consoles.
  • MoesTavern wrote:
    The Steam marketplace offers a way around it somewhat by letting people buy and sell their stuff. Prices can be high but you're getting the specific item you want. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar for consoles.

This is basically what I've tried, several times, to explain itt - a well implemented system offers the ability to dust/craft/exchange, meaning everything has value.

What recent AAA titles are doing is pretty ugly stuff, but please differentiate between F2P and traditional.

On the subject of lucky dip / loot / gacha, as a mid 30s professional guy I have no problem spending on a little gamble; the whole process of lucky dip is enjoyable for me, and many others. The rush of excitement when the 'tells' appear (a lot of gacha will give visible cues as to the rarity you're about to receive). It's a rush, like any gambling, and I'm happy to assign a portion of my disposable income to it, same as many will bung a fiver on an accumulator, or down the races once in a while.

I should stress that I'm not trying defend things such as that we're seeing in SWBF, and children most certainly need protecting, but this whole 'throw it all the bin' isn't a particularly nuanced approach to the problem.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    To flip this about, is there any game/franchise/situation where you'd happily throw your money at it?

Final Fantasy has had plenty of microtransaction based stuff over the years and I haven't really gotten on with it.

I played the Kingdom Hearts phone game for a while, decided to pay for the weekly pass thing once as a kind of tip but ended up feeling like I'd chucked a tenner in the bin. Felt a bit dirty after that and I ended up stopping playing it. Also, it's fucking massive and can't be shoved to an SD card for licensing reasons so there's that too.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I agree with Nick, but let's call it what it is.

I think the argument that it's not gambling hinges on there being no difference in real-world value between a rare item and a common one ie they are both just 1s and 0s and worth nothing at all.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It feels fairly easy to shoot thwt argument down. Given people are paying money for them.
  • Is anyone arguing that it isn't gambling?

Plus these items do have a real-world value, you only have to see people trying to sell their accounts to realise that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If it was openly accepted as gambling, it'd have serious problems.
  • I suppose is a distinction that, in gacha, you always get *something*, so you are paying for an item, you just don't know what. In trad. gambling on the other hand, you can pay and get nothing.
  • It’s still bullshit. If you want to gamble, go gamble. Keep it the fuck away from progression in games.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    MoesTavern wrote:
    People criticise shark cards in GTA online but at least with those you know exactly what you're getting for your dosh.

The ability to glitch free money in the early days was so brilliant it felt like genius design. A game about doing crime without consequences turned sim. I stopped playing before Rockstar patched it, so I don't know if my character was ever given a dunces' hat.
  • People are still happily getting free money now I think, when I played a little a while ago anyway. Guaranteed at least one hacker per online lobby.

I did that car cloning and selling glitch to get a bunch of free cash too. Much more time consuming than just having a random chimp walk up to you and spawning a thousand moneybags per second over your head.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It devalued everything when every third player had millions, but the grind was ridiculous. They should've tied items to skill-based mission trees, and apartments should've belonged to individuals via a pink-slip system. To keep players from sitting on theirs, they'd have to accept at least one mandatory challenge every week or lose it.

I think it'd be nice to let owners choose their challenges, with a maximum percentage for repeat events.
  • Yeah I would have preferred it if things could be unlocked via missions perhaps, or just found randomly around the place. But obviously they want to fleece everyone. And fuck the shitty grind.

I don't know how much real money you would have to spend to unlock everything but it must be quite an awful lot by now. The thought of giving them more money on an already full price game when they seem to be completely unable to stop the hackers is utterly laughable.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    With the mission trees, I was thinking about progressively harder race missions to unlock faster cars; progressively harder flight missions...

For the luxury planes you could have Pilotwings-graded landings or similar. Stunt courses for the street bikes. Just tie whatever it is you're trying to unlock to a kindred test of relevant difficulty. Like silver ships in WipEout HD, which are a badge of ability.

More than anything, I think it needs a lot more players per server. With so few players you invariably flock together, at which point there's little to do besides shoot each other. And quite a few people dissed San Andreas' MP mod for its primitiveness!
  • I wouldn't mind some rewards for my landing planes on buildings shenanigans. I quite like your concept actually, makes more sense than the grindy nonsense we have now. For the current system to work at all it would need a much more emergent and fully realised world to play/earn/steal in, and much less reliance on real money microtransactions. Unlikely to happen anytime soon though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!