Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and buy Roujcoin now [ROU]
  • There are a limited number of bitcoin, so arguably once they have all been mined if you wanted some to buy something with you would have to pay someone for theirs. So that is a reason to pay more that isn't just a bubble.

Of course that all falls down given the ease that the hypothetical seller could quite easily just accept a different currency that has the same features but is more readily available or price their product accordingly in bitcoin.
  • My last post was a bit offensive. Not that I’m having a go at eg Dino or anyone. Having a punt on a few of these as a hobby or whatever. You might make a killing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Their faith alone keeps the prices rising. People lose that faith, it's game over.
    See also stock markets and money.
  • With regards to speculating and bubbles you guys are all preaching to each other, nobody is disagreeing with you.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There are a limited number of bitcoin, so arguably once they have all been mined if you wanted some to buy something with you would have to pay someone for theirs. So that is a reason to pay more that isn't just a bubble.

Of course that all falls down given the ease that the hypothetical seller could quite easily just accept a different currency that has the same features but is more readily available or.price their product accordingly in bitcoin.

Exactly, you could accept any number of cryptocurrencies with similar utility, so why would any one currency be worth more than another?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    My last post was a bit offensive. Not that I’m having a go at eg Dino or anyone. Having a punt on a few of these as a hobby or whatever. You might make a killing.

Same
    Djornson wrote:
    With regards to speculating and bubbles you guys are all preaching to each other, nobody is disagreeing with you.

Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to see if there is something I'm missing, some aspect I haven't seen that give these tokens some inherent characteristics or value that will enable me to predict how their value might change.
  • There are a limited number of bitcoin, so arguably once they have all been mined if you wanted some to buy something with you would have to pay someone for theirs. So that is a reason to pay more that isn't just a bubble. Of course that all falls down given the ease that the hypothetical seller could quite easily just accept a different currency that has the same features but is more readily available or.price their product accordingly in bitcoin.
    Exactly, you could accept any number of cryptocurrencies with similar utility, so why would any one currency be worth more than another?

Transaction speed and expense.

Bitcoin is slow and expensive. 

ie. if i want to send you 10 bitcoin i actually have to send 10.0001 bitcoin because the chain takes a bit and it takes fucking ages to get to you.

Other coins are free and faster.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Their faith alone keeps the prices rising. People lose that faith, it's game over.
    See also stock markets and money.
    Governments and laws protect money and investments.
  • Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to see if there is something I'm missing, some aspect I haven't seen that give these tokens some inherent characteristics or value that will enable me to predict how their value might change.

Coin and Token are two different things i think.

Did you know that? (genuine question)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So why are they less valuable?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to see if there is something I'm missing, some aspect I haven't seen that give these tokens some inherent characteristics or value that will enable me to predict how their value might change.

Coin and Token are two different things i think.

Did you know that? (genuine question)

No, the two terms seem to be used interchangeably. What is the difference?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    There are a limited number of bitcoin, so arguably once they have all been mined if you wanted some to buy something with you would have to pay someone for theirs. So that is a reason to pay more that isn't just a bubble. Of course that all falls down given the ease that the hypothetical seller could quite easily just accept a different currency that has the same features but is more readily available or.price their product accordingly in bitcoin.
    Transaction speed and expense. Bitcoin is slow and expensive.  ie. if i want to send you 10 bitcoin i actually have to send 10.0001 bitcoin because the chain takes a bit and it takes fucking ages to get to you. Other coins are free and faster.
    You've got 10 Bitcoins? Lend me a couple of grand, would you?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

From Wikipedia:
    Economic value is a measure of the benefit provided by a good or service to an economic agent. It is generally measured relative to units of currency, and the interpretation is therefore "what is the maximum amount of money a specific actor is willing and able to pay for the good or service"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_(economics)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It always comes back to people being willing to pay more for one over another. Always.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

From Wikipedia:
    Economic value is a measure of the benefit provided by a good or service to an economic agent. It is generally measured relative to units of currency, and the interpretation is therefore "what is the maximum amount of money a specific actor is willing and able to pay for the good or service"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_(economics)

So it provides less benifit but is more valuable?

I'll ask again.
  • Cos you can't buy fried chicken with them.
    Yet.
    If for some reason you wanted to fanny about converting into another currency before buying fried chicken.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It always comes back to people being willing to pay more for one over another. Always.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There is no other explanation. You can accept this one or not, but there's no point in asking the question again, this is the answer.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Yoss, I understand why the value of a commodity increase when it's in an inflatory bubble. That's not what I'm asking.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It kind of is.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My response has nothing to do with inflationary bubbles or prices rising. At all.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Talk to me about petrol yoss. Tell me why petrol costs pretty much the same regardless of if you're buying shell, BP, texaco, Tesco or Asda?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Because this is the price that people are willing to pay for petrol.
  • Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to see if there is something I'm missing, some aspect I haven't seen that give these tokens some inherent characteristics or value that will enable me to predict how their value might change.
    Coin and Token are two different things i think. Did you know that? (genuine question)

I don't really know. I know when i bought ethereum i bought ethereum gas which is used to fuel the blockchain. Tokens in ethereum world are used to create apps. I think correct term is different every application of blockchain technology, when trying to discuss we should probably specify what we are talking about. bitcoin/eth/ripple/stella/monero/monaco etc etc, the list is endless.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Because it does exactly the same thing?

@yoss?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That's immaterial. Yes, part of the reason that the prices are the same are due to competition, but that competition has shaped the price that consumers are willing to pay for petrol. If any one provider jacked up the price, they'd stop selling any as people would no longer be willing to buy it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Coin and Token are two different things i think. Did you know that? (genuine question)

I don't really know. I know when i bought ethereum i bought ethereum gas which is used to fuel the blockchain. Tokens in ethereum world are used to create apps. I think correct term is different every application of blockchain technology, when trying to discuss we should probably specify what we are talking about. bitcoin/eth/ripple/stella/monero/monaco etc etc, the list is endless.

So if someone wanted to create an app that utilised the ethereum block chain they would need to obtain an ethereum token?

If that's the case then I can see an inherent value to an ethereum token.
  • Petrol price is linked to cost of extracting crude oil, though.

Is that your point Goober?

Bitcoin is linked to nothing?
  • Djornson wrote:
    So if someone wanted to create an app that utilised the ethereum block chain they would need to obtain an ethereum token? If that's the case then I can see an inherent value to an ethereum token.

I'm going to read this and get back to you :)

https://blockgeeks.com/guides/ethereum-token/
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    That's immaterial. Yes, part of the reason that the prices are the same are due to competition, but that competition has shaped the price that consumers are willing to pay for petrol. If any one provider jacked up the price, they'd stop selling any as people would no longer be willing to buy it.

And yet bitcoin is with 6 grand and lite coin is worth 200 quid. They do the same thing. My question is why, if they provide the same service/utility?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!