Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and buy Roujcoin now [ROU]
  • Yoss, if you can afford it stick to shares. I would. I don't have the cash. Plus I'm a techhead so was interested in the tech and wanted to know how it works. Getting your toes wet is normally the best way. I'm in for around £100 and that's my lot. I'm happy with that. I know people who are in for thousands of pounds and to me that's scary. If I had thousands of pounds available, I'd be buying shares or putting it in stocks and shares isa.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Who is giving you back your money? Shipchain themselves?

No, you are offering your shipchain tokens on an exchange and someone will buy them off you. Sometimes another individual sometime the exchange itself. Same as how stock market works in that aspect.

But why? What do the tokens represent? They are not a share of the company so they won't pay you a dividend. Why will someone buy them off you? What do they represent? If I owned 100% of all the tokens for a shipping company what would that mean? I wouldn't own the company, and they wouldn't give me any share of their profits, so what is the purpose of the token?

Quoting for page turn.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m pretty sure that you can buy shares in a few companies for £100.
  • But you buy fewer shares for a 100 pound. You heard the man, you can buy TEN thousands of the worthless crypto thingies and that is a HUGE number.
  • Yossarian wrote:

I mean, you can, but it's not really worth it.
  • @legaldinho “What are you so scared of that you won't answer question, ever offer facts or owt?”

Wow
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

I mean, you can, but it's not really worth it.

I’m not sure it’s any more worth it to buy cryptoshares.
  • I don't see much wrong with Dino toying with 100 quid. It's hobbyist level and he is clearly getting a kick out of it. Some would easily spend that in a few months betting on the football without being considered problem gamblers.

I do have concerns that some out there beyond this forum have put a lot more into it, with a lot less research and could be in a bit of a state if things go wrong.
  • I don't see much wrong with Dino toying with 100 quid. It's hobbyist level and he is clearly getting a kick out of it. Some would easily spend that in a few months betting on the football without being considered problem gamblers.

I do have concerns that some out there beyond this forum have put a lot more into it, with a lot less research and could be in a bit of a state if things go wrong.

Oh for sure. But it isn't what Dino is saying except as a fallback argument. If he just posted "stfu you bores, I'm dumping 100 quid for fun and seeing if I get lucky", no one would argue with him.
  • I don't see much wrong with Dino toying with 100 quid. It's hobbyist level and he is clearly getting a kick out of it. Some would easily spend that in a few months betting on the football without being considered problem gamblers. I do have concerns that some out there beyond this forum have put a lot more into it, with a lot less research and could be in a bit of a state if things go wrong.
    Agree but that’s not particular to crypto
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't see much wrong with Dino toying with 100 quid. It's hobbyist level and he is clearly getting a kick out of it. Some would easily spend that in a few months betting on the football without being considered problem gamblers.

Agreed, I'm just trying to understand where the value lies.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Yeh but like I said I wanted to understand how the, exchanges, public/private keys etc worked. It was an amount I was willing to risk.
  • @charlie
    They don't drop 50% in a fortnight though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And apologies for doing this again, but is anyone able to answer my question?
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Who is giving you back your money? Shipchain themselves?

No, you are offering your shipchain tokens on an exchange and someone will buy them off you. Sometimes another individual sometime the exchange itself. Same as how stock market works in that aspect.

But why? What do the tokens represent? They are not a share of the company so they won't pay you a dividend. Why will someone buy them off you? What do they represent? If I owned 100% of all the tokens for a shipping company what would that mean? I wouldn't own the company, and they wouldn't give me any share of their profits, so what is the purpose of the token?

A true story, I know someone who went and spent £6,000 on cryptocurrency without telling his missus. What's worse is that he didn't even know what the particular tokens he bought did. He just bought twenty at random. Needless to say he got a bollocking off me. I told him to find out what they did, cash out of the scam coins asap and as soon as he breaks even get out. Fecking idiot. But there are plenty out there.
  • Bueller?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    From what I understand, they’re pseudo-shares which the people who make and buy them hope will be valued in the same way as actual shares. If enough people become interested in buying them, they might.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But why? Why is shipocoin worth more than truckycoin vs taxicoin? They are not tethered someway to the performance of the company then what does it matter? And if anyone can create them then there can be an unlimited supply, so where is the value?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, most of those criticisms can be levelled at shares. Shares can pay out dividends, but not all do. They do give you a vote, but if there’s a controlling shareholder/s, then that vote is useless.

Assuming that you have a share that doesn’t pay dividends and without a meaningful vote, then it’s pretty much the same. Technically, the value of a share isn’t tethered to the performance of the company, it’s based on what the market perceived the value to be, albeit this figure is mostly driven by performance. There’s no particular reason that this shouldn’t be true of these coins.

As for supply; a company can already make as many shares as it wants.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But with a share you own a share of the company, so there is at least some correlation between the value of a company and the value af a share in that company. With a crypto token there is no correlation, so what determines the value of the token?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So my question still stands unanswered, where is the value?
  • There is no value. The only value they have is what someone else is prepared to pay. It’s the worst aspects of the stock market. Pure speculation. All you have to go on is the expectation that someone else will still pay a higher price in the future. It’s a bet.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There is some correlation, but it’s hardly perfect. A company could have a total share value which is lower than the value of the assets that they own. Alternatively, if a buyout is happening, the share prices shoot up. Really the value of shares is entirely based on what people will pay for them at a given moment, same thing for cryptoshares.
  • As per gonz posting, if this is illegal but unenforced Id expect that to change. The bigger it gets, the more people will lose and the more they’ll enforce the law and these things are then junk.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But what underwrites that bet?

Why would someone pay more for the token I bought? If its value has no relationship to the performance of the company that issued it then how can it increase in value compared to any other token?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It has a relationship to the perceived value of the token. If the performance of the company increases, so might the perceived value of the token.
  • But what underwrites that bet?

Why would someone pay more for the token I bought? If its value has no relationship to the performance of the company that issued it then how can it increase in value compared to any other token?
    Presumably because they believe that someone else will then in future pay them even more than they're buying them from you for?

• It's a digital Ponzi scheme, but I guess because it's ultimately based on nothing with a real world value, the potential ceiling is limitless?
  • But what underwrites that bet? Why would someone pay more for the token I bought? If its value has no relationship to the performance of the company that issued it then how can it increase in value compared to any other token?

Are you still asking specifically about tokens or blockchain tech in general?

Anyway, flip the question around and keep asking yourself the same thing about a credit card, or a bank account, or cash, or gold. Why do we assign value to it? Because it can be exchanged for goods and services. Sure, but why? Why not just trade goods and services for goods and services? Because it's inefficient.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!