The Apple Thread
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So... do I want to go to Restore, set the Source as the partition and the Destination as the main drive? I have no idea how any of this works.

That sounds about right.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Looks like this is the help page you want:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904
  • Hmm... 

DO I COPY OVER OS X Base System? Hovering over it and it pops up with 'Startup Disk'. There's another section called OSMXL which brings up 'Mounted Partition'.

Thanks for this, Yoss.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    NP.

I generally wipe the target disk before reinstalling, but I don’t know if that makes any difference, TBH.

I suspect that the mounted disk is your target disk, but I couldn’t swear to it. I am like 95% sure that you will only be able to install onto the main drive, not the startup disk anyway.
  • Finally had the courage to hit go and I get error 254. Doh.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Looking through that help page, it looks like you might be best off using Disk Utility to wipe Macintosh HD and then reinstall onto there.
  • I'm just going to hit buttons until I get somewhere. Cheers, Yoss!
  • EDIT AGAIN: Ok, I'm going to just buy a USB installer for her.
  • My boss kindly got me a new top spec Macbook Pro this week to replace my creaky 2010 one that was really struggling... also just in time to enable me to work from home during this trainwreck of a week weather wise.

It is just so darn good... and super quick compared to my last (obviously). Touch bar thing is a little hit and miss, I keep knocking Siri when typing. It pissed me off there were no USB ports, making my life that little more difficult when transferring files across. Sound quality is pretty decent. Fan noise is very quiet (except when rendering), space grey casing looks lovely on my black desk.

All in all, very very happy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You can remove Siri from the touchbar in the settings.

And yes, it’s a nice piece of kit.
  • I ordered a similar MacBook today. New job is great so far, especially the laid back approach to such things. New boss shouted over whilst putting her coat on to leave “Have we bought you a laptop yet Tony?” I said no. “Email Moira [the studio manager] with a spec and she’ll order whatever you want. Moira, get him whatever he asks for. Ta.”
  • Yup, pretty class!
  • Fiddling with an iPhone 5, with the idea that I might use it as my main phone. I'm surprised how well it runs for an Apple phone this long out of production. The 4 and 4S had crippling updates not long after they stopped being produced (which is a pity as they're still physically the best phone ever made). Anyone know if there's some technical reason for this?
  • Also, where the fuck is the GPS toggle? I said I wanted it off during setup, but now it doesn't want to let me select a timezone for the automatic time functionality.
  • Settings>privacy>location services ?
  • "Hey Siri, turn the fucking GPS on love"
  • Settings>privacy>location services ?

So it is. Silly place to put it. Not the worst UI balls up, though; it turns out that I couldn't set a time zone because I had the toggle on to automatically set the time zone. The toggle that gives every impression of being a toggle for automatically setting the time itself.

Say what you like about him, Steve Jobs has was the only thing that ever kept Apple from being a clusterfuck.
  • iOS/OSX has always had weird toggle or design quirks. The old ones have been fixed and new ones have taken their place - for example, hiding airdrop control panel switching (which is still there, but not as visible as it used to be, even though the change doesn’t actually free up as much control panel real estate as you’d think) or the WiFi off button not actually turning WiFi off.

I’ve had issues with every piece of Mac software / hardware since college but, generally, I’ve been pretty happy with them. So, I don’t think this is a Jobs thing.

For reference - this has included 2 iMacs, 2 Mac mini’s, 2 MacBooks (1 Pro, 1 Air), 2 iPads, multiple iPhones and, even, an Apple Watch.

Given what I know about you AJ, I think you’re gonna have a bad time on the Apple ecosystem. Honestly, I’d avoid it, if I were you.

This message was sent from my iPhone.
  • I've used Apple stuff on and off since I was at Uni and have definitely seen things get worse (at least from my perspective) since Jobs let go of the reins. The less said about the stuff between him leaving and coming back the better.

There are a lot of things that'll piss me off about having an iPhone, but none of them as much as having to pay for a phone that's far too big because there's no alternative. Besides, I've replaced the browser, email and keyboard with the Google equivalents, which helps a bit.

Anyway, what's this about the WiFi button not turning the WiFi off?
  • AJ wrote:
    Fiddling with an iPhone 5, with the idea that I might use it as my main phone. I'm surprised how well it runs for an Apple phone this long out of production. The 4 and 4S had crippling updates not long after they stopped being produced (which is a pity as they're still physically the best phone ever made). Anyone know if there's some technical reason for this?

If you're willing to use an iPhone that's stuck on iOS 10 why were you looking at brand new Android phones? Given cost was one of your issues, an older Android of that size screen would be significantly cheaper than an iPhone.
  • Because the iPhone was free and I couldn't be arsed putting the leg work in required to find out whether there actually is a suitable discontinued Android as a quick look didn't find any.
  • Ok, free is a difficult price to beat.
  • Yup, it was that or a one with a 4.5" screen, only 1GB RAM (Android get a little bit jittery with less than 2GB) and a big fuck-off LG logo on the front, from my brief search.
  • I saw someone using an X the other day. That notch, no headphone jack, no SD card slot, the price, and yet people still buy the fucking things. Bizarre.
  • Most of that applies to the whole of the current iPhone line, apart from the SE.

Also: you missed it being overpriced and the software environment being overly restrictive, if you're doing a fanboy rant.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think I may pick one up.

:)
  • An SE? Good choice.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A Nexx.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It is a lovely piece of kit. I’ve used one at work and it’s just a great to play with.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!