The Apple Thread
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    To be honest, as soon as you start asking about specs and features then you've pretty much already missed the point of Apple products. People are paying for an entire experience, something simple and accessible to use, with great interoperability with other Apple products, all wrapped top in an appealing, well designed, well built package.

If that stuff doesn't appeal to you, that's fine, stick with Android. For those of us who value those things, then the iPhone X is the current pinnacle of that experience as far as phones go, and we may be willing to spend an extra couple of hundred quid to enjoy it, regardless of what you might read on a spec sheet.
  • I'm fairly certain the difference between a £200 Android phone and a £400 Android phone is likely to be significantly bigger than the difference between the 8 Plus and the X.

I repeat:
    Barely, hence 'virtually' identical. It's a £200 difference in price, but I'm not seeing a £200 difference in features.

You never do when it comes to flagships, though, do you?

It’s the same with graphics cards, cars and any luxury items, where double the cost does not equal double the quality or capability. After a certain point, a consumer knows there’s diminishing returns on extra cost, but they do so anyway since they want to treat themselves.

• It strikes me that Yoss' view of Android is quite out of date, from his comments.

Anyway, something I actually give a shit about:
    AJ wrote:
    what's this about the WiFi button not turning the WiFi off?
  • People are paying for an entire experience, something simple and accessible to use, with great interoperability with other Apple products, all wrapped top in an appealing, well designed, well built package.

Why is the iPhone X the pinnacle of the experience though? How is the experience of using the X that much better than the experience of using the 8 Plus?

Everything in that quote goes for the 8 Plus no?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I do use Android quite regularly at work. I haven’t lived with it particularly, but I’m not entirely blind to it.

Having said that, most Android users’ versions of Android is also quite out of date, so I am often using older versions of Android to reflect what’s actually in use.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    People are paying for an entire experience, something simple and accessible to use, with great interoperability with other Apple products, all wrapped top in an appealing, well designed, well built package.

Why is the iPhone X the pinnacle of the experience though? How is the experience of using the X that much better than the experience of using the 8 Plus?

Everything in that quote goes for the 8 Plus no?

Bigger, sexier screen, new ways to interact with the device, better AR capabilities, all the new hotness in one package.

I mean, as I’ve said, pretty much the larger, OLED rather than LCD screen with the better camera is worth the extra to me.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I do use Android quite regularly at work. I haven’t lived with it particularly, but I’m not entirely blind to it. Having said that, most Android users’ versions of Android is also quite out of date, so I am often using older versions of Android to reflect what’s actually in use.

It can vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer, too. From what I've experienced of it, recent Google sanctioned Android is pretty much on-par with iOS; one is better in some ways, the other is better in others. The choice really isn't about one having a better UX, being more stable or having more features, it's about personal preference on many smaller things. For instance, one of the things that irks me on iOS is that the comma is on the second level keyboard, which is pretty damned minor.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, I don’t really subscribe to iOS being better than Android particularly. It’s better for me because I have bought into the Apple ecosystem and Apple have done a great job at getting these things working together. I love the fact that open tabs in Safari on either my laptop or phone are instantly accessible on the other, for instance.

But yeah, Android fragmentation is a pain in the arse. I’m glad that I don’t have to deal with that outside of work.
  • People are paying for an entire experience, something simple and accessible to use, with great interoperability with other Apple products, all wrapped top in an appealing, well designed, well built package.
    Why is the iPhone X the pinnacle of the experience though? How is the experience of using the X that much better than the experience of using the 8 Plus? Everything in that quote goes for the 8 Plus no?
    Because it's the most expensive. There really isn't much more to it than that. The best phone is the most expensive one and if this one is the most expensive then this is the best.
  • I don't think that Google can ever really do much about fragmentation, because it's the manufacturers who cause it. The amount of shit I see running Marshmallow and Nougat, when more capable phones are stuck on Lollipop is dumb. My phone could easily run Oreo, but Lenovo haven't bothered updating it from Marshmallow.

Jelly Bean and KitKat are at least dying off now as loads of apps are now requiring Lollipop as a minimum.
  • Sorry my missing on this. Yoss basically got my point. If I was spending £800 on a phone then the extra £150 on top of that isn’t a big enough leap if it means I get something I’d rather have. I do the same with all expensive purchases. I never get something that I’d be kind of happy with as ultimately I’d still be spending a big whack of cash on something I’m not fully on board with - this then (to me) equals wasting money. I’d rather do without completely for a couple of months and save the extra until I can afford what I want.
    Which in this case was again for all the things Yoss mentioned. I’m also fully tied into the Apple ecosystem now anyway.
  • So it's basically what Cinty said then, rather than any actual benefit the device offers?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Aside from the benefits I’ve listed?
  • Fuck me! The device does offer benefits over the 8. Perhaps they seem trivial and silly to you DD but I noticed the differences when we went and looked. I chose what I liked and wanted and off we went. I don’t see why anybody’s choice of phone would upset anybody else. It’s a fucking weird mindset to have. Anyway, I’m off from this thread now for a while. Enjoy.
  • Strong flounce game there.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But the specs are basically identical to a less-strong flounce.
  • SE has benefits over all other models, of course.
  • I don’t see why anybody’s choice of phone would upset anybody else. It’s a fucking weird mindset to have.

It hasn't. I said I couldn't see why anyone would choose the X over the 8 Plus. You said you have an X, and couldn't see why anyone would choose the 8 Plus over it. I asked what you saw as a big leap. I'm not sure where you get anyone being upset from that
    The device does offer benefits over the 8. Perhaps they seem trivial and silly to you DD but I noticed the differences when we went and looked.

That's all I was asking. What are they?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How many times do you need an answer to this question Dante?
  • What are they?

Screen and camera. Possibly security / facial rec stuff - can’t remember if that’s on vanilla 8.
  • AJ wrote:
    This is a silly discussion.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What are they?

Screen and camera. Possibly security / facial rec stuff - can’t remember if that’s on vanilla 8.

The facial recognition stuff is X only.

Come to think of it, I seem to recall that the X has stereo speakers too. Can’t swear to that one.
  • I'm asking for an answer from the person who bought one, not you.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Why?

Edit: I mean, the benefits have already been listed for you. There aren’t magic, secret benefits that you only learn about at purchase. This is feeling more like you having an axe to grind than anything else.

As I understand from his posts, the main benefit is that he just plain liked it more. Emotional response to various factors, so doesn't have a rational list of reasons.

I’ll not flounce the thread here as I think Dante obvs deserves an answer on this. There’s the nice to haves that Yoss mentioned, so that’ll be yer Oled screen, edge to edge display (more or less), better cameras and what have you but the main reason I chose the X was for the facial recognition. I may well get this on all Android phones but, as I mentioned, I’m pretty tied to Apple through a mix of historical fanboyism and a more pressingly - my business.

My reason for wanting the facial recognition is clearly going to be very specific for me but actually pretty important (again to me) and now my phone is much easier for me to use. Due to the nature of my business I tend to have a mixture of cuts, cements, paints, muds and a whole load of other shit distorting my finger prints almost permantly. This means the fingerprint ID stuff for unlocking devices doesn’t work for me ever and so in the past I’ve had to push to open the phone then type in my code to access it. Facial recognition means I no longer have that problem. So yeah, a very niche problem but one that exists for me and one that has now been streamlined down to just smearing my shit covered fingers over the screen as I text but, yknow at least I can now easily get to that point.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    zGHQb4O.gif
  • Cheers Uncle. Now the Face ID stuff absolutely makes sense for you. It's not something I'd ever thought about, but I'd imagine you aren't alone in that.
  • Yeah, it’s not a problem for everyone but it won’t just be me. Facial rec also means that I can now use Apple Pay too. This also used to be tied to fingerprint so again no point in me using it. The face stuff also makes filling in online forms and payments to trusted sites almost seamless too. It seems your face has become the equivalent of your ccv on the back. It’s made the phone miles more usable for me.
    My wife doesn’t have the same excuse though - her hands are flawless; her nails exquisite. I’ll see if I can get her on here later and you can question her into submission instead. She has no excuse other than liking the shiny and new.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    But the specs are basically identical to a less-strong flounce.

:D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!