The Apple Thread
  • I'll just put her down as "easily led".

Speaking of Touch ID, we had a discussion in the office about the most sensible location for a fingerprint scanner. There was an even split for front and back, The only thing anyone could agree on though was the S8's placement of it was designed by a lunatic.
  • I'll just put her down as "easily led".

Speaking of Touch ID, we had a discussion in the office about the most sensible location for a fingerprint scanner. There was an even split for front and back, The only thing anyone could agree on though was the S8's placement of it was designed by a lunatic.

Easily led or simply bought the iPhone she wanted based on her likes on the device? OLED screen, better screen to body ratio taking out the entire bar section, better rear camera in low light levels, Face ID, animojis, new design over the 4 gen older design of the 8, would you like any other reasons? I’ve got an X and love it. Do you have either or experience of either?
  • Verecocha wrote:
    I'll just put her down as "easily led".

Easily led or simply bought the iPhone she wanted based on her likes on the device? OLED screen, better screen to body ratio taking out the entire bar section, better rear camera in low light levels, Face ID, animojis, new design over the 4 gen older design of the 8, would you like any other reasons? I’ve got an X and love it. Do you have either or experience of either?

No Vere - people must be able to justify the cost / value proposition of the items that they choose to spend their disposable income on, otherwise sheeple.
  • I mean, I have very specific reasons for using an iPhone, and don’t need an X, but if I had the disposable income for it and there wasn’t any forthcoming expenses that I had to deal with, I’d probably buy one. Because it’s my money and electronics and games are the type of things I like to splash out on. For my wife it’s clothes and travel.

If it’s affordable to you, why the fuck not?
  • If it’s affordable to you, why the fuck not?

And as you rightly said earlier, that exact argument can be said of so many other items or devices. Let’s carry on splashing out on what we want as the Sheeple we obviously are.
  • The android paupers are just jealous. Pay them no heed.
  • I'm an iPhone pauper now, is that better or worse than an Android one?
  • AJ wrote:
    I'm an iPhone pauper now, is that better or worse than an Android one?
    Everything is shit. We’re all terrible consumerists. What’s wrong with cans and string and we’ll use the money we save on phones for the greater good.

• I don't like talking to people. Waiting for the next version of cans and string in the hope they add text messaging.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought Apple had released something new seeing the 50+ posts. Oh well. I’m getting an X later this year. Didn’t get one last year as my contract was renewing and had to wait for the X and needed a new phone as my old one was full and I was going on hols and wanted to take loads of pics. Talk about specific use case. Anyway. I’m tied into a one year replacement phone contract now as long as I send the ol phone back. And, like Yoss, I’m tied into the Apple ecosystem which makes the few quirks and limitations in iOS easy to live with.
  • Getting tied to ecosystems is an odd concept to me.

Anyway, I see we're still using those silly spinners for numbers. Is there one of those hidden tricks Apple likes to enter them in a sensible manner?
  • AJ wrote:
    I'm an iPhone pauper now, is that better or worse than an Android one?
    Look into your heart; you know you're not worthy.
  • I would probably be on a feature phone if they supported WhatsApp and streaming music.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Getting tied to ecosystems is an odd concept to me.

I agree that a lot of people find it odd. But that’s mainly because Apple lost the great PC war back in the olden days. If they’d have succeeded in becoming the defacto supplier of computers the world over 30 years ago then I think the idea of open systems and being able to customise your computer would’ve been just as odd. The benefits it brings are really the interoperability between three or four (if I include my Apple TV) devices. I also think if you are going to tie into systems that Apple are about the best bet. I can’t see iTunes movies and music going away in my lifetime. The same cant be said for pretty much anyone else. Google, Amazon, even Microsoft all have too many other distractions and fluctuating business goals. Apple’s is to simply sell kit as profitably as possible and for that to work they know they need to provide the media to be consumed on that kit. I’ve gone off on a tangent a bit but the basic premise for me is tie in to the safest bet digitally.
  • The notch is still fucking ugly.
  • You think Amazon might stop selling music and films?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m still happy to pay for things with money rather than access to my personal data.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You think Amazon might stop selling music and films?

Digitally their offering is weak. All it takes is for them to give up on the Prime video stuff if Netflix conquer that space and they haven’t got much left. The quality of their 4K offering was a joke. They were charging more than discs. Funnily enough it was Expensive Apple who got the price down to the same as blu-rays.

The music offering isn’t as good as Spotify or Apple Music.

But I was citing them as one example in many. Since digital took off loads of companies have dabbled in it. But Apple have stuck at it as it’s fundamental to their hardware offering.
  • Amazon, Netflix and Spotify on every device going. Apple have their little closed shop. Only one way this ends unless Apple spread out.

See also IBM PC compatible vs Apple, and VHS vs Betamax.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apparently so.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cheaper plus pencil support, no?

If so, that’s pretty good IMO.
  • Same price isn't it? Unless I'm a school.

Ah maybe it is cheaper, in £. Same price in $ I think, so probably reflecting exchange rate changes since the last round of pricing.
  • Cheaper plus pencil support, no? If so, that’s pretty good IMO.

How much cheaper?

I'm going with "meh" for the pencil support, everyone knew it was coming. It probably would have been more of a surprise if it didn't.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Dunno how much cheaper.

And we knew Pencil support was coming, but it’s still pretty much the only new thing to happen to any (non-pro) iPad in years.
  • That’s a seriously good iPad for the price, I have a 10” iPad Pro that was about £700 and spec-wise that’s not far off it.
  • It's advertised as an educational one - but assume it can still do everything a regular ipad can? As £319 for a 32GB wifi one is pretty damn good.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It is a regular iPad, it just has some new features which Apple hope will woo teachers and schools.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!