The Apple Thread
  • I expect they’ll end up reducing the rrp of these, same as the homepods. They’re heavy, too, which is the last thing I want in headphones.
  • Well, transferring the contents of my old iPhone SE to the new iphone 12mini has turned into an exercise in absolute fuckery.

Backed up the SE to iTunes on my iMac.
    Plugged the 12 into my iMac's iTunes. 
    You cannot restore this phone because it has 14.1 on it and your SE has 14.2.
    You will first have to set the 12 up as a new phone and update the firmware.
    The latest iOS build is 14.3.

ok

Start the download on the 12. It's 5.12gig. This will take three hours with my internet.
    Download fails at 5gig.
    Much swearing.
    Re-download the 14.3 update. This takes another 3 hours.
    I then get an error message that this update installation to the 12 has failed.
    I give up with the 12 and wipe it clean.
    Plug the SE back in, and now there's another update for the OS on that. This will take another few hours to download.
    I backed the SE up immediately prior to starting all this fuckery this afternoon. At that point there was no update for the OS on the SE.
    So now I have to wait to see what installs (presumably 14.3) on the SE, before I'm back at fucking square one with the freshly wiped 12...which will of course need to be updated to 14.3 presumably, and that will take another 3 hours.

I have never had pish like this with a new iPhone before. Every fucking phone I've had, you just plug it into iTunes, and bish-bosh, it puts all your old shit on the new phone for you.

I am currently incandescent with rage.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    My iPhone turns on wi-fi automatically now and then. I think it mostly/only happens when I get home from being outside. Not sure how to turn it off, it’s annoying.

Sounds like a profile thing.
  • Its always had the version bollocks, presumably the updates were smaller so downloaded to the phone in the past.

There isn't much you can do unfortunately.
  • I feel for G but haven’t used iTunes for anything in years
  • I would like to punch Tim Cook. Can you arrange that for me Dante?
  • Do you have an appointment?
  • I do not have a appointment, no.
  • If I were you G, with slow Internet at home, I’d have made an appointment at the Apple Store and let them do all the fuckery. It’s the no-stress method, and they have fast Internet.
  • Not used iTunes for ages either.
    When I bought a new iPad I just backed up the old pad to iCloud and then when setting up the new iPad I just pulled my profile from the cloud and done.
    Had to pay 75p to upgrade my iCloud to the big gb. But meh.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • You can download one through iTunes.
  • My OS, Xcode and that bastard Photos app seem to be on a mission to gobble up as much of my SSD as possible. I'm down to 10gb now. 50gb worth of photos has seemed to inflate to 70 because reasons. It's also lost a load of my imports for the past six months. The actual files still seem to be wrapped up inside its library but the links between the app and the files have broken and it wants me to replace each one manually. Mysterious system and library folders are expanding all over the place. Xcode now wants to install an 11gb update. I think all that developer stuff takes up about 40-50gb anyway. It wouldn't be so bad if the prices for storage weren't so eye-watering. Now I've got to comb through the whole Mac finding stuff I can get rid of. And then trawl through about ten years worth of photos, removing a load of mysteriously created duplicates, so I can export the whole thing to a saner photo manager. 

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm tempted by Adobe Lightroom since I've got it in my subscription anyway. And I can back that up online. But knowing Adobe it's probably shit and broken in some way that I won't find out until I've imported everything into it.
  • poprock wrote:
    If I were you G, with slow Internet at home, I’d have made an appointment at the Apple Store and let them do all the fuckery. It’s the no-stress method, and they have fast Internet.
    If there were actually any appointments available then I would probably do that...

• Wife’s iPhone broke a couple of days ago - CPU was fucked - and was a bit of a pisser as it was only a couple of years old.

Anyway, replaced it with a 12 Pro Max, and it’s a really nice bit of kit. Setup was easy and she woke up this morning with everything restored from her old phone.

Also, thank fuck they went back to the thicker, flatter sides. Much prettier. The nicest looking iPhone since the 5S.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    My iPhone turns on wi-fi automatically now and then. I think it mostly/only happens when I get home from being outside. Not sure how to turn it off, it’s annoying.
    Yossarian wrote:
    I’m constantly turning off the WiFi on my iPhone, it’s incredibly annoying.

Aye - it’s been a thing for a while now. The off not really meaning off. Once you go somewhere with a different WiFi, it’ll often assume you want to connect. Hateful feature that often fucks me up as I usually run a vpn and when I switch from mobile data to WiFi the vpn will reset.
  • Fuckery over. I won't bore you with the details, but there was much swearing late into the night. Still, everything is transferred and the phone is set up, and...I'm really pleased with it.
    If, like me, you detest the size of modern phones, then the iPhone 12mini is the solution. It's only a gnat's chuff bigger than the OG SE, but the increase in screen size is mahoosive, making it appear much bigger than it is physically. So if like me, you have arthritic fingers, and are as blind as a bat, then it's the perfect upgrade.
    Two arthritic thumbs up.
  • ...oh, and Cinty is bang on the money with the form factor. The return of the square edged aluminium frame is the icing on the cake. I absolutely detest all the round edged designs they've been churning out for the last few years. YMMV.
  • g.man wrote:
    ...oh, and Cinty is bang on the money with the form factor. The return of the square edged aluminium frame is the icing on the cake. I absolutely detest all the round edged designs they've been churning out for the last few years. YMMV.

Yup. I agree with you agreeing with me.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Well, transferring the contents of my old iPhone SE to the new iphone 12mini has turned into an exercise in absolute fuckery...

Sounds even worse than my experiences moving data from one 3DS to another. The only rational conclusion is that the hardware and software both being made by the same people somehow makes data transfer harder.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    In other news, I recently fell off the "no Apple" wagon and bought an iPhone SE second gen.

I now want everything else Apple makes. Send help. And cash. I'm particularly smitten with the M1 Macs, and I don't even know why.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I got a pair of AirPods recently. My god the slickness of the interface between those and my phone made me smile. I popped open the case for the first time and a little animated window popped up on my screen (and only my screen, despite there being another iPhone in the room at the time, held by someone sitting next to me on the couch) asking if I wanted to pair them.

When these things work, they work very well indeed.
  • Did you get the pro ones Yoss? I'm going to need BT in-ears soon, and I'm curious about stuff like fit and sound quality.
  • g.man wrote:
    ...oh, and Cinty is bang on the money with the form factor. The return of the square edged aluminium frame is the icing on the cake. I absolutely detest all the round edged designs they've been churning out for the last few years. YMMV.

Yep. That’s the biggest draw for me! Still might go for the Pro. Not much in it financially between the models. I think.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Did you get the pro ones Yoss? I'm going to need BT in-ears soon, and I'm curious about stuff like fit and sound quality.

No, I went standard. The sound quality isn’t amazing, but I do quite like being able to hear the outside world in certain situations. I’ve got decent wired in-ears for situations where I want to block out the outside world.

Planning to see how the AirPods work as a chat headset for Xbox Live via the Xbox app. Could be a step up from my wired Turtle Beach thing.
  • Ok. Ta.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Did you get the pro ones Yoss? I'm going to need BT in-ears soon, and I'm curious about stuff like fit and sound quality.

Pros are great G. You get options on the fit unlike the OG and the noise cancelling is really good. Use them all the time. Some other nice features like spacial audio make watching a dolby vision film or show on your phone really immersive. Also just the QOL for connecting to your phone.
  • I really liked using the Sony equivalent of EarPods. The only problem I have with them is that they don’t last an entire workday but sound quality is good (for small stuff) and apparantly noise cancelling is best in class. It has a nice app too so you can set it to go into “less noise cancelling” if it thinks you’re walking.
  • I’m 100% sold on this 12 Mini being the best iPhone in yonks. Sounds like exactly what I want - small size, squared-off edges. I hope they stick roughly to that design when I eventually need an upgrade in a couple more years.
  • Aye, it's a long time since I gave two fucks about phones, but this thing is absolutely perfect for me.

4ftFT4P.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!