The Apple Thread
  • I don’t think I could go back to a small phone. Even though my hands will thank me my eyes wont!
  • Yeah, that would be tough. I'm so glad I held out for this, because despite the form factor only being marginally larger than the OG SE, the increase in screen real estate make it feel like the screen is now twice the size of my old phone. It's a massive win for me.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    When these things work, they work very well indeed.

I couldn’t justify AirPods but when my wired Senheisers died I got a pair of Beats Flex. I turned them on and my iPhone connected immediately. Reminded me why I was, so many moons ago, a full member of the Cult of Mac.

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • This is the way.
  • tRZmCcz.gif

Holy shit it connects immediately! ;)
  • Yeah, I had to by the Lightning to mini-jack connector to do that. Not the end of the world, but mildly annoying.
  • Another vote for the AirPod pros, best Apple product I bought since the AirPod non-pros.
  • What's the fit and sound quality like in your opinion Woody? Do they come with a variety of silicon ear-plugs? Can you adjust the tone of them in the App? I generally like a detailed neutral sound. Don't want to shell out big bucks on something that's going to offend my ears with massive bass or shrill treble.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    tRZmCcz.gif

Fair, but I really do appreciate not having a wire snagging on everything as I try to listen to music while doing the housework.
  • g.man wrote:
    What's the fit and sound quality like in your opinion Woody? Do they come with a variety of silicon ear-plugs? Can you adjust the tone of them in the App? I generally like a detailed neutral sound. Don't want to shell out big bucks on something that's going to offend my ears with massive bass or shrill treble.

Three different sized rubber earbud things, I just went medium which was fine; there’s a little fit-test in the app. Not sure on any tone options, I’ve never adjusted mine; noise reduction can be turned on/off in control centre (and I think know the spatial stuff?), also with a long press on the stalk.
  • They're called speakers Yoss.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t have my entire flat kitted out with speakers, sadly.
  • JMW wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    What's the fit and sound quality like in your opinion Woody? Do they come with a variety of silicon ear-plugs? Can you adjust the tone of them in the App? I generally like a detailed neutral sound. Don't want to shell out big bucks on something that's going to offend my ears with massive bass or shrill treble.
    Three different sized rubber earbud things, I just went medium which was fine; there’s a little fit-test in the app. Not sure on any tone options, I’ve never adjusted mine; noise reduction can be turned on/off in control centre (and I think know the spatial stuff?), also with a long press on the stalk.
    Thanks Woody. How would you describe the sound of them?
  • I’m happy, I’m not using them for studio reference etc. but they generally get really positive reviews. One of the major benefits for me is how comfortable they are, it genuinely is easy to forget they’re there. And being able to request stuff via Siri (obv download the 4od app first)
  • Heh. Cheers Woody.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    tRZmCcz.gif

Fair, but I really do appreciate not having a wire snagging on everything as I try to listen to music while doing the housework.

Thumbs up on that. And speakers, while great, aren't so good when the others in the house don't want to listen to pantera at full whack while you vacuum.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    But everyone loves Pantera.

I do wish Apple would put standard 3.5 mm headphone jacks on their devices. I now have a useless Lightning adapter that’s just cluttering up the place. Oh, and while I’m wishing, fuck Lightning in general. USB C on iPhones please, like on the iPads and Macs.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • JMW wrote:
    Another vote for the AirPod pros, best Apple product I bought since the AirPod non-pros.

Another another vote. Got mine on Monday. Love them.
  • What do you think of the sound?
  • g.man wrote:
    What do you think of the sound?

It’s very impressive. I don’t have much experience with premium headsets or headphones, so I can’t really say whether they compare well to other £200 products - that’s more of a YouTube thing anyway.

What I can say is that I’ve been surprised about how much better the quality is in comparison to the bundled ‘phones. How easy they are to set up, and how well they fit my ears compared to the standard ones too.

I got them for £198 on Amazon this week. I hovered over them for a while, but I have no regrets at this point.
  • Cool. Thanks mate.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'd also add that as someone who dislikes the pressure feel of in-ear pods these don't cause that effect. I think they have some kind of air funnel to stop the pods feel like they are sucking out your brain.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Annoyingly, now that I’m getting used to these AirPods, I can already see times in my life when I’d like to use these and other times I’d like to use the Pros.

Owning two pairs of AirPods does strike me as overkill, however.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If you're going Apple, go FULL APPLE.
  • Why would you want to use both?
  • JMW wrote:
    Why would you want to use both?

I’d put the Pro in my right ear and the normie in my left, because that’s how I roll.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don't roll the left one will fall out.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    Why would you want to use both?

I like the fact that I can hear the outside world with my AirPods, there are many times when I’m happy to sacrifice audio quality for that.

Other times I want outside sound blocked and my music to be as good as it can be.

And yes, I know the pros have the audio passthrough thing, but I’ve not tried any audio passthrough systems that don’t sound kind of weird.
  • If anyone’s looking for cheaper alternative, these are pretty great for under £40: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Earphones-Mpow-Cancelling-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Black/dp/B082G2RKSV/

Good sound, handy carry case, touch controls have sensible mappings. The noise cancelling is pretty rubbish so ignore that. Might come in handy on a plane maybe, but it’s not something you’d want to use a lot. But for £40 it works great.
    Only caveat is that in single bud mode is only for right earbud (some different models will allow either to function solo), so may not work for you if you prefer to solo the left ear.
  • I finally went back to iPhone when the new SE came out. I love it.
    I’m with g I actually prefer the smaller form factor.
    Its less intrusive in your pocket and you don’t have to take it out or shift it to another pocket every time you sit down.

It’s so nice to be 100% apple again.
    Everything just works nicely across all devices.
    On my iPad and want to shift to my phone, copy and paste the URL. Love it.

One thing that I found quite odd with my old android phone was the noise level max.
    It stopped at a level that I could never override (and I tried enabling developer access and downloading apps to boost the volume). And it was baked into the OS. It was nice to be able to listen to my music at dangerous levels again when i got the iPhone.

And AirPods are lush. Best little expensive purchase in a long time.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!