Destiny 2 - Developed by Bungie
  • The Campaign story is acceptable fodder. The actual action/gunplay is the draw, it's really fun (to me.)

Basically until you get to max level its a normal game, once you get to max level you can pvp or you can beat the toughest pve challenges in the game which are Raids. I don't know how many in D2 but in D1 there were 3 Raids i think. You have to do them with other people and they are incredibly difficult/unique gaming experiences/fun/clever. Generally in order to complete the Raids you have to spend a long time gaining more powerful weapons/armour by doing pvp/Strikes/patrols/public events/heroic missions. There are more Strikes then Raids, maybe 10? Not sure. You might repeat these quite a few times but the action itself is so fun you don't care. The same goes for patrols/public events/heroic missions, if you want to complete raids you will need to repeat these things a fair few times (i think.) Therefore if you don't love the basic mechanics of the game you will probably get bored at end-game.

Destiny 2 is free up to level 20 i think?

Campaign there's what.. at least 30 hours of content? i got it all (Destiny 2 Forsaken complete collection) for £20 so bargain
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It's definitely worth getting Mike. Not sure if you're Xbox or PS4 (or PC), but there's no shortage of people to help you out if you need it but solo is absolutely fine and the gunplay is unrivalled.
  • Cheers for the info. I’m on Xbox one (X). The two things that generally attract me to FPS games is quality gunplay and a good story, multiplayer isn’t a concern for me. Though if it’s integrated into the experience it’s fine. 

I enjoyed destiny 1 at launch for its gunplay, but the whole reading the story thing was shit and I quickly got bored and never played the dlc

I’m currently playing through all campaigns on Halo MCC and am up to Halo 3 at the moment and I’m revelling in the mechanics and sci-fi goodness of it all, also the elite controller makes it such a better experience with having the paddles assigned and stick/trigger settings customised, could see it being good for destiny too. 

Djornson, cheapest I’ve found that collection is £34.99 at shopto on Xbox one so might wait til it comes down a bit, unless anyone knows where it’s any cheaper, let me know!
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • I’ve only played destiny single player. Campaign, strikes, horde etc. They throw some cool event stuff out too which you see everyone around you doing at the same time. Done pvp once or twice, not my cup of tea at all.

I have also never used a headset or chat on my ps4. I learnt from the 360... also I can’t plan my gaming schedule at all so impossible to play with friends really.

Despite hating online play, and never being good at or enjoying FPS games, I put over 200+ hours into 1 and creeping up to 20ish I think in 2 over the last week or two.

• Yeah i don't particularly like pvp in Destiny but you don't have to do it at all, i like the single player and co-op.

£20 was a ridiculous deal to be honest, £35 is still good.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    One of the best modes in the game, Gambit, is a bizarre fusion of PVE and PVP.

It's essential.
  • I'm a big fan of online PvP in general but I've always hated the Crucible.  Gambit however, is indeed essential.
  • At 646 with my Titan.  Got a couple of weapons at 650 including a masterworked Ikelos shotty, the first Forge is finally a breeze with a couple of peeps who know what they're doing, and I'm getting exotic drops all over the bloody place atm.  Still smitten with the Dreaming City.  

Decided to start levelling my Hunter past 300 a few days ago, blasted through Forsaken (still great even after 4 or so playthroughs with various friends) and I'm sitting at 638 with my most powerful weapons.  Blade Barrage and Spectral Blades are great fun, haven't unlocked the other void abilities yet but I'm not entirely sold on them from the descriptions. Will have to wait and see how they play out I s'pose.

Haven't found a new set of Hunter armour I really like yet, but the Dreaming City Titan armour... Oh my.
  • Reverie Dawn gear is sexy as fuck. Especially with Nebula Rose shader.
  • Lol, I thought I was the only one who liked Nebula Rose.  Big fan of Arctic Pearl for my Hunter gear.
  • I have a set with Arctic Pearl, I can't remember what it was though, Raid armour I think.
  • Destiny at this point has so much content, for £35 it's a bargain.

That will give you 4 single player campaigns of varying size and quality.

Destiny 2 (vanilla) - The longest, largely good if a bit uneven at points.
    Curse of Osiris - the shortest and worst campaign, though there are some good missions.
    Warmind - Longer than CoO, shorter than Vanilla, but really good.
    Forsaken - Second longest, although as some of the longest missions in the game. Brilliant.

You could at this point leave it here, if like g.man you just want to blast through the story stuff. If you want to dig a bit further, there is more to do.

Crucible - (1-6 players) Destinys PvP mode. Don't worry about that fact you're level 200 or whatever. This is irrelevant in 99% of cases (we'll come back to that 1%)

Gambit - (4 players) a bizarre fusion of PVE and PVP (TM C R Olimite). You play mostly a horde mode that builds to a final boss. You're doing this at the same time as another team. When you kill enemies, they drop 'Motes'. You need to get 75 of these to spawn the boss. Die and you lose the motes you were carrying. Banking certain amounts sends a mini boss to the other team, and they can't bank until they kill it. Or kill them, as you can send multiple mini bosses if you all bank at once. At certain points, you'll activate a portal that lets one member of your team go over to the other side, and kill the enemy team - but you only have 30 seconds. I absolutely adore this mode.

Strikes/Nightfalls - (1-3 players) Strikes are special co-op missions that you play in a fireteam of 3. It will match make if you are on your tod. Nightfalls are harder versions of the strikes, with no matchmaking, but you can put different modifiers on (like Skulls in Halo). Nightfalls are scored.

Heroic Daily Adventures - (1-3 Players) A selection of 5 missions from the campaigns that can be replayed at a higher difficulty. Missions reset daily.

Raids - (1-6 Players) PvE endgame content. High challenge communication required missions. The game doesn't explicitly tell you what to do, you have to figure out how to progress. There will be multiple encounters per raid, which will checkpoint once completed and can be carried on later in the week. However, checkpoints reset every Tuesday. There are 3 raids, and 2 'Raid Lairs'. The difference is the Lairs are shorter basically.

Patrols - (1-3 players) The rest. Pick a planet and go to it. You'll be in a shared world with other players. Every so often there is a Public Event you can all come together to complete. There are areas called Lost Sectors that have a mini boss in. You can pick up Patrols (short objectives) in each area. Some areas have special events. Mars has Escalation Protocol, and the Dreaming City has Blind Well. Both are PvE content, facing waves of enemies with bosses at the end. You'll find post story World Quests and Adventures here as well (continuing story missions, some re playable some not).

All modes have Bounties you can pick up, which are additional objectives. Some are mode specific, some can be done across all modes. It all adds up to getting you more of that sweet sweet loot.

Or more likely, an Edge Transit.
  • Thanks for all the info. That’s exactly what I was after Dante, clears up all the modes and you’re right £35 does not sound bad at all for all that. 

Gambit sounds really good, never heard of any FPS having a mode like that, almost makes me want to play multiplayer. 

Out of interest how would you compare Destiny 2 as it stands now to Destiny 1?

Nearly completed Halo 3 so just got ODST and 4 and then I’ll have completed all halo campaigns within last few weeks and then straight into destiny 2!

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    And despite all that, it's scratching the surface with all the hidden stuff, timed content and stuff not yet released that's on the road map.

It is ridiculous value for money.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It's much better than D1, simple as that.
  • Olimite wrote:
    And despite all that, it's scratching the surface with all the hidden stuff, timed content and stuff not yet released that's on the road map. It is ridiculous value for money.

Aye. It was already pretty crowded, so i thought best to leave it as it is. One of the best things isn't mentioned though. There is a weapon called Whisper of the Worm. The only way to get it is to play a mission called The Whisper on Io. This mission is only available Friday to Monday. To play it you need to wait for a certain Public Event to start, then ignore the event and go find a special enemy. Killing it opens a portal, which loads you into the mission.

The mission has a 20 minute time limit, after which it kicks you back out. The only way to play it again is to wait for the next public event.

You'll also see talk of Forges. I didn't mention those because they are part of a separate Annual Pass. I wouldn't advocate buying this until you decide Destiny is for you, as this is current endgame content.
  • D2 campaign is waaaaay better than D1.

Haven't done strikes/raids yet so can't comment on that
  • All positive stuff. This may sound quite specific, but in terms of tension/suspense, ‘oh shit, am I going to make it moments’ does destiny 2 ever make you feel like that? I just completed halo 3 and even after all these years and about a dozen previous runs through I forget how much I enjoy it, it still has an impact.

• You're setting yourself up for disappointment hoping for excitement on the level of Halo from D2's campaign.

D2 has it's good points but a strong narrative isn't exactly one of them.
  • Aye, the campaigns certainly aren't Bungie Halo level, but they do have their moments.  Vanilla D2 mission, The Almighty, and Forsaken's opening mission still leave me a bit wide eyed and breathless.  

The various Strikes have some touches of greatness as well, the drill sections of The Inverted Spire, the Warden of Nothing's train tunnels, the entirety of The Corrupted.  Proper grin inducing stuff.
  • Mikemsp wrote:
    in terms of tension/suspense, ‘oh shit, am I going to make it moments’ does destiny 2 ever make you feel like that?

I would say yes and also agree with the above, the campaign/story is not as good as Halo 3. But then... what is? In my opinion the best FPS campaign ever.
  • That's a good point.  Bungie Halo's were the best of the best at what they did, and since they left that franchise only Titanfall 2's campaign has come close for me. 

But yeah buy D2, Mike, it really is great in it's own way.
  • Le Monarque and Thunderlord both dropped in about an hour of playtime this afternoon.  Thank you, Bungie.
  • Yeah sounds like I’m going to have to get it. 

I’ve got no idea what you just said on that second post though but sounds good!

• Exotic weapons.

I really want that bow.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It's great. Makes a lovely 'pop' sound when you time a precision shot right.
  • It really is very nice indeed.  I do love the bows in this game. 

My Titan and Hunter are both a few points from 650, so I decided I was gonna make use of Thunderlord's low level requirements and start Osiris with my Warlock.  Thing is, as soon as I loaded into the cutscene with Ikora I remembered how much I disliked the face of my warlock so.... I deleted the character and started the whole game from scratch.  

That Red War opening is fucking great.  On my way to the Farm.  No regrets.
  • Decided to play a bit. Been having fun on PvP after having to adapt from no radar. Had a blast solo comp last night and a five streak iirc. In this game I broke the opposing teams spirit and we battered them

https://youtu.be/ET_GhJbifQ0

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Strange, been thinking of restarting my Titan as I want a girl Titan. Going to get Hunter to 650 first.

@stormy, obviously.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!