52 Games in a year challenge: 2018
  • 32. The honestly pretty enjoyable Blue Estate (cheapo PSN lightpad effort).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Embarrassing
  • Half your games sound like Rainbow Bright's penpals chap.  Pink Hour, Hue, Yellow, Star Battle, Florence, Red, Peg, Hook, Hocus and Blip Blup?  They'd detour around Blue Estate to avoid a brup brup brap brap.
  • You are both as bad as each other and play utter random crap.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • You're right, we should probably play 70hrs of Nier Automata on PS4 in anticipation of Nier Automata on Xbox One.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    You are both as bad as each other and play utter random crap.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You're right, we should probably play 70hrs of Nier Automata on PS4 in anticipation Nier Automata on Xbox One.

Well you should at least play Nier:automata instead of the pish you's two have been playing.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You're right, we should probably play 70hrs of Nier Automata on PS4 in anticipation Nier Automata on Xbox One.

That would be better, yes. But i don’t think you’re capable.
  • At least Muzzy is playing God of War at the moment. Trying to redeem himself.
  • I'll play it on easy at some point (Nier).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I may well play Nier later this year. Definitely keen for it.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'll play it on easy at some point (Nier).

Good idea. Combat is ok but not as good as other Platinum games. So easy mode will do fine. Story characters etc are where it’s at.
  • I think that's the main thing keeping me from playing it, I don't often play anything barring the walking sims chiefly for story/characters.  30hrs is an undertaking for a combat centric game with ok combat.  Plus multiple endings leave me cold these days, Dark Savior may have been the last game I bested from all possible angles.  I put my copy in the swap club, but the opening hour was fine - at the very least I'll give it a proper go at some point, but I know in advance the first ending I get will have to do.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I used to love my jrpgs, but the length of game is definitely a thing for me these days. Not cos of this thread, but because my brain can't cope with playing too many games at once that require me remembering stuff, so a long have means like a month of only playing that one game, which is quite a long time.

Too many shit games is a bit unrewarding, tho, unless they're all quality indies. So a bit of mix n match is the answer.

After GoW is done I'll need a few others before I can face Nier. May even be a winter game not a summer one...
  • 18. Recore: Definitive Edition
    2nd April 2018 – 5th May 2018
    Playing as Joule, a colonist who awakes from cryo-sleep to find that terraforming has failed, this open world game tasks you with finding the fault, with the aid of a robotic dog companion called Mack.  This game uses Metroidvania elements in its progression, with various dungeons forming a large part of the experience.  Initially what starts off as a fairly encouraging experience descends into a frustrating, confused mess of half baked ideas and technical shortcomings.  Combat veers into a broken battle of attrition and will as the enemies get tougher and more numerical, the mechanics failing to allow you keep pace with the onscreen action.  The dungeons are rarely a treat to traverse and become quickly tiresome, a waste of what is a fairly decent moveset of double jumping and dashing.  This game has a distinct feeling of development time running out, or of a team that didn't quite have the technical ability to match the ambition on display.  I'm not sure what compelled me to finish it, stubborness to not let such an awkward bit of code get the better of me probably.  Amongst it all I could see a good game crying to get out, but as it stands, even with the Definitive update it received, a bit of a stinker. 5

Updated with Recore: Definitive Edition.  That sucked up a lot of my time, and I doubt it was worth it, curse my stubborn eye.  Finished Layers of Fear after a prolonged absence but I'm going to run through it again as I lost the thread of it, plus it has multiple endings and I just picked up the DLC on the cheap.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 33. Shank 2.  

The Xbox 360 pile of shame now sits at one accessible title (The Splatters), and two non BC games (never finished Mark of the Ninja or Bangai-O HD).  I'm not counting Shadow Complex because what I played was impressively dull.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nowhere near as dull as the fucking Mummy. Got to my first real upgrade and it's a slow as fuck ceiling cling from Strider? Fuck that. I'm enjoying Steamworld Heist though.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Shadow Complex is ace! 

Apparently (didn't grip me after 20 mins or so).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I apologise for my language in that post but it's a really crap game.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Shadow Complex is good, not MotN good but not a lot is.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    I'm currently 60 hours into The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, it's dragging on a bit. 

I did finish and platinum Farming Simulator 15, which I'm not proud of.
  • How do you finish Farming Simulator? Secure lifelong government subsidies and never have to grow anything again?
  • The Mummy was surprisingly poor, given that I was expecting an under the radar gem.  I went with a [5] 
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    23. The Mummy Demastered - Switch I didn't hate it in the end, but it's not a good game.  It suffers from plenty of odd hang-ups from its era of inspiration - flying creatures knocking your character back being the most infuriating considering the poor jump controls.  It's very much Metroid by numbers, but offers an uninspired world and wotevs selection of suit perks to progress.  Graphics are lovely, it's doing a nifty looking matte/pastel thing, so it's generally pretty lush visually.  Sound was just kinda there, nothing special.  I enjoyed most of the bosses, but hated the find-your-corpse loot gathering after every death.  It took me 4.5hrs to reach the credits, with the map stat resting on 77% progression.  Again, it's not awful, but with so many better games around even though I considered going a point higher it's only worthy of a [5].
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    How do you finish Farming Simulator? Secure lifelong government subsidies and never have to grow anything again?

If only. It was far less interesting than that, a real step down from the previous version. I still ended up playing for 30+ hours though, which makes me worse than moot and muzzy.
  • 34 with the surprisingly epic and awesome Iconoclasts.  One for @regmcfly maybe.
  • As much as I've liked this challenge, it's also confirmed my fears:  If I get a game I'd never heard of in a bundle, or wait until a game is on sale for less than $5USD, chances are it won't hold my interest for longer than 15 minutes.

Just pulled the pin on:

Black The Fall: Poor man's Inside
    Badland Game of the Year Edition: A mix of Limbo and Flappy Bird.  Lol, game of the year, I don't reckon.  Maybe if it came out in 1972 i something
    Spider 2: Looked alright, but only Played Spider 1 the week before and I was a bit tired of the concept.  

Also quit on Framed, an Ipad game where the screen looks like a comic book page, and you have to slide and rotate the panels around to make the minimalist story progress.  It was very slick but too bloody hard for me!  In the end I was just moving panels around and random and hoping for the best!  Worth a look if you aren't terrible at puzzles.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Badland is on PS+, and runs on Vita, but I still don't fancy it.  I expect I'll play it at some point as the well is running dry, but it looks pretty standard last gen indie fodder.
  • I played it for about half an hour when it first turned up on Plus. I didn't mind it, but it's clearly a game made for playing on a phone for a couple of minutes here and there.
  • Yeah definitely not a bad game and from the very little I played it seemed well made for what it was.  No interest in exploring it any further, though.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Updated with Golden Axe.
    19. Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe
    11th May 2018 - 12th May 2018

Shite. 2

TLDR... shite.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 35. Lone Survivor: Director's Cut.

Review on Page 3.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!