PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    34 with the surprisingly epic and awesome Iconoclasts.  One for @regmcfly maybe.

Wait talk to me
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    34. Iconoclasts - Vita Wow.  I went in expecting a 3-4hr indie romp and found myself working through one of the most epic 2D games I've ever played.  It took me nearly 14hrs to finish, and I found less than half of the items.  If you told me this was a Treasure title I wouldn't bat an eyelid, it feels like the Saturn game they never made.  It sits at the very light end of Metroidvania types; you revisit areas but exploration is minimal - usually if you're in a section you head for the question mark and won't get lost along the way.  The running and gunning isn't exceptional, nor are the puzzles in fairness, but both are high quality, and the whole thing just oozes character and class.  There's a section early on where you sneak past a crowd, but to avoid detection must only move when the crowd is laughing at jokes being told by a raconteur.  It's a lovely couple of screens, but the fact that the lines of dialogue start to repeat just before you reach the far side of the room works as a neat way to sum the game up as a whole - it's so very nearly wonderful with a couple of forgivable indiscretions.  The script is great, the story is actually kinda gripping, it sounds superb, it looks fantastic in places, it does a hell of a lot with the limited weapons/moveset in terms of variation/puzzle solving, and some of the bosses are the toppest of tiers.  It's not a tough game, but it does keep you on your toes throughout.  As high an [8] as [8] can be.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Okay then
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I need to do that
  • 37 with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    5. Farming Simulator 14 - Vita
    I enjoyed the original but this was a bit of a step backwards. I still played it for more than 30 hours, not something I'm proud of. 4

6. Trails of Cold Steel - Vita
    I was wishing this was over after about 60 hours but it ended up dragging on for another 30 or so.
    Story and dialogue were a bit rubbish, there was just way too much waffle and nonsense. Combat was great, although setting up spells and abilities could be a pain when you were forced to switch characters. Aside from the occasional bout of slowdown, the graphics were excellent, with plenty of attention to detail and some fantastic locations.

If they'd have cut down the waffle and shortened it by 30 hours, this would have been a solid 8, but it's a okayish 7
  • Damn, bought Cold Steel 1 and 2 in the last PS3 Big In Japan sale.  Have been playing a few JRPGs lately and the lengthy dialogue sections are beginning to grate.

CATHERINE PS3

This is still pretty bloody good.  Fun Puzzle game from Atlus with a spooky b-grade story.  Very slickly presented with colourful cartoon graphics and animated videos, fully voiced dialogue and great music.  Only blemish is the loud church bell that rings incessantly whenever you're about to clock a level and even keeps ringing in the rest areas in between stages.  Obnoxious stuff.

Story's fun.  I played the bad guy route so it went off the rails a bit at the end, but was entertaining at least.  Only about a 12 hour game even with a lot of optional dialogues so it didn't outstay it's welcome too much, though the last set of levels were a bit of a drag; it seems to run out of ideas.

Still a great game and glad to have played it again after enjoying it when it first came out.  8/10
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I got stuck on one of the block levels, and have never been able to advance each time I've gone back. I loved the game til that point, but I just can't get any further.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm up to 29, after GoW and Line Way.
  • Just to clarify, is this the same Lineway that has a 'Komplettes Walkthrough/100% Achievements' Youtube video that can be generously rounded up to a 17 minute runtime?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well it took me longer than that, and hence longer than about a third of your drivel list
  • 10. Crank (Browser) - So this is one of those clicker games, that I've since been informed are now actually called incremental games. Again, it's a great thing to play at work when I'm between calls. I technically finished it about a week ago, but as well as the actual ending, you can collect 20 messages which tell the story, so I've been doing that, whilst also upping all my numbers for no real reason.

The game works by at the start, turning a crank. You can build stuff to turn the crank better. Eventually you go into space and move around planets, fighting enemy ships, trading and all the time getting higher numbers for all your stuff. I won't go further than that for anyone who wants to play it, but if you like these things, especially if you can play at work, I highly recommend Crank.
  • Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (PC)

Not just any sort of sorrow!  The dark kind.  

This was a pretty cool minimalist point n click adventure.  It's very easy to beat, with only a handful of puzzles.  I imagine the people who made it mostly wanted to show off their cool artwork.  I'm thankful for that!  It looks like the kind of thing I could only dream of drawing in high school art.  Check out that otter knight!
    TorRev_2.jpg
    It is about 3 hours long and pretty straight forward.  It was just long enough that it was a satisfying and memorable experience, but can be completed in just a few sessions.  The perfect game for this thread!  I will give it a 8.
    I got stuck on one of the block levels, and have never been able to advance each time I've gone back. I loved the game til that point, but I just can't get any further.

I hit a wall too - ended up looking a youtube walkthrough up.  There's a trick to climbing higher, even when you only have 2 columns worth of blocks to work with.  That trick seemed to solve most of the problems that came up from then on.
  • Ooh, I'll look that up then, hopefully I can finally finish it.

Is that Dark Sorrow thing just on PC? That screenshot looks awesome.
  • www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEhKG2Kzioc

That's the Catherine walkthrough - Just looking back at the final couple of stages, I used it a fair bit more than my last post implied!

Dark Sorrow isn't on the consoles, but is on Android/Ios, imagine it would look and play quite well on a tablet but haven't tried it myself.
  • 38. Hotline Miami 2, which I was pretty crap at as it took me aaages to finish.
  • Up to 30 now with a decent recent run of games - God of War (GOTY so far), followed by Shadow of the Colossus (8/10 - should have upped the difficulty, was over too soon) and just completed Detroit. Now onto Moot's Mario Rabbids with junior and then a bit of mindless FPS nonsense in Homefront:Revolution. 

Just started game sharing with a friend so have a load of extra games to choose from now, so probably going to jettison a few games that were on my original list.
  • 39. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.
  • Up to 40 with Mother Russia Bleeds.  Quality scrolling beat 'em up, currently a bargainous £3.69 on PSN.

Edit: Possibly cheaper than that, it's in the double discounts section for Plus members, but I can't see a price as I own it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    £2.69
  • Well worth it for anyone planning a couch co-op thing who doesn't mind repetitive early 90s arcade style brawling.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm up to 30.  Woo.  Still, not much more than half way, and it's nearly half way through the year, so I can't let up...
  • 31 with Homefront Revolution which was really not what I expected and was slightly better than I feared it would be.
  • 41. Yoku's Island Express, the lovely little thing.
  • 27 Down!  

Bravely Second: End Layer

Awesome JRPG!  First one was great as well with a couple of caveats - everyone talks too much, and there's a really boring section about halfway through that just drags on.  And while everyone still talks too much in the second game, the boring bits are gone!

Also has a fantastic level grinding gimmick!  If you beat an enemy in 1 round, you get a chance to fight another with an exp and money boost.  Do it again and have the option of another fight with another boost, etc.  There are some other stipulations that take a while to explain but it's very moreish, and I imagine it feels a bit like being a carry over champ on a game show.  I dug it!  One of the few times I've gone into a JPRG final boss battle overlevelled.
  • 32. Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Not quite as good as the original but a bloody decent effort. Whilst I loved the storyline and characterisation, I was occasionally frustrated at the lack of conversational options or similarity between the choices. 8/10.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've got second layer staring at me, may be my next jrpg, enjoyed the first last year.

Life is Stranger too. Though I don't own it yet.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!