52 Games in a year challenge: 2018
  • Bug Butcher is the Pang thing isn't it?  I've nearly bought that a few times.  If it's in the vault I'll give it a go when I activate my code.
  • It is very Pangesque, yes.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Looks good, just watched the trailer again

Up to 16 - SotC on PS4
  • 13 down with The Last Days of June. Can't say I was feeling it for the first hour or so and then the gameplay opened up a bit and it got interesting. Latterly it hit me in the feels and during my play through there were tears, which I didn't expect. Utterly unconventional to the point of off-putting at the start but then the heart, style and love shines through. Not quite at Edith Finch levels but an unmissable experience. 8.5/10

It's been an eclectic and enjoyable start to the gaming year so far. 

Edith Finch. Completed on New Year's Day and absolutely adored. If I manage to enjoy a game as much as this in the rest of the year I'll be really pleased. Adored it. 10/10.
    Wolfenstein II. The New Colossus. 8/10
    The Evil Within. Diet Resident Evil 4. War of attrition at times so I just popped it down to easy and became much more enjoyable. 6.5/10
    Mario Odyssey. No doubt revise this after more time on the post-game Moonathon but 8/10 so far.
    Shrouded Isle - 8/10
    Last Days of June. 8.5/10
    West of Loathing. Stickmen graphics, genuinely amusing throughout, rpg/rts-lite, western which involves punching clowns, ghostly cows, jellybean theft and much more. Unlike anything I've ever played before. A gentle romp. 8/10.
    Dishonored 2. A game of really peaks and occasional troughs. No idea why I put it off for so long but some real stand out level design at times. 8/10
    Steamworld Dig. A brief but enjoyable digathon 8/10.
    The Stanley Parable. 7/10
    Florence. 8/10.Interactive graphic novel with real minor gaming elements but huge heart. Made by some of the folks behind Monument Valley. £2.99 on the App Store, came out today. Only an hour or so but packs a fair bit in, in that short time.
    Rime. 7/10
    Batman: Telltale. 7/10
  • Updated with The Turing Test.
    11. The Turing Test
    28th February - 4th March
    A Portalesque puzzler with a heavy sci-fi, 2001 vibe.  You must navigate an increasingly complex maze of rooms set in a research station using an orb gun in a bid to locate your fellow researchers.  Your only companion is an A.I. called T.O.M.  The level of puzzling here is good, enough challenge to avoid breezing through every room, but still achievable enough to enable steady and rewarding progress.  Nothing terribly original story wise but enjoyable all the same, very solid throughout. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Currently playing Super Lucky's Tale.
  • I'm on that too, it's good but frustrating.
  • Agreed, not sold on the platforming.
  • 14 down with Pyre. Absolutely beautiful at times and an awful lot of care and attention has gone into the lore, character histories and has a continuous air of charm. The griffball gameplay was far more satisfying than I initially suspected. 8/10

And 15 down with The Silent Age. 7/10
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    2. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    Final boss dead. This has opened up some fantastic post game stuff which I will have a crack at, but I'm calling it done after 80+ hours.

I've tried at least 3 times to play this, but given up thanks to a couple of early difficulty spikes. I'm glad I stuck it out this time because it has to go above the mighty Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and I regret not playing it sooner. I stopped paying attention to the story towards the end which is unusual for me, but I don't think it was anything special. The real joy was the squad management and the actual battles. There are so many options and units that I've not explored, which is great 'cos post game stuff. 9
  • I played through the TA on GBA twice and there was still a ton of stuff I didn't find. Looking at guides there were loads of hidden character classes, with various obscure conditions for unlocking them, which could've taken an age to access.

I'd probably put that just ahead of the FF Tactics games as well.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Counterspy done, up to 17.

Thoughts?
  • I'm on page 3 I think, always do a write-up when I hit the credits.
  • Cool. My own thoughts which, I can barely credit, were four years ago:

Spoiler:
  • Games like CounterSpy (or Hitman Go on iOS) are terrific reminders that, while both technology and developers' constant improvement allow for increasingly realistic games, there is a tremendous amount of fun to be had from embracing the fact that you are playing a game bound by rules. Opening a medicine cabinet and watching your health bar refill does not have to be a realistic depiction of first aid. It can just a fun way of representing a subset of rules; if you make it this far, you can reset the penalties you have accumulated so far. Sometimes, by not trying to make an 'experience', you give your players a much better experience.

I like this.
  • It's what Klei did so well with Mark of the Ninja and Invisible Inc. A set of rules and effects, clearly laid out and communicated with easy to follow visual cues. You always have all the information you need, it's up to you to figure out how best to use it.
  • Nice write up, it's a funny old game. 

I've been tempted with Hitman Go on PSN a few times, if it's Vita compatible I'll grab it at some point.
  • I should really play Invisible Inc. too but I don't usually do tactics on the telly, it's probably why I never settled into a groove with XCOM2 (that and the console load times).
  • Invisible inc is well worth trying out. Great game.
  • I played the first 20 mins or so, but only in an afternoon where I was checking out a load of unplayed PS Plus stuff.  Which is how I discovered (the phenomenally good) Not a Hero.  Will take another look, cheers.
  • I should probably count Battle Garegga now, but I still wanna best Arcade mode and get that platinum trophy. Keep dying on last level and even with 9 credits I can’t do it! I’m so shit!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I should probably count Battle Garegga now, but I still wanna best Arcade mode and get that platinum trophy. Keep dying on last level and even with 9 credits I can’t do it! I’m so shit!

Ive just got that bloody destroy 4 tracks pick up thing to do for the full 1000 - argh!
  • I got that by luck or so. Died just before the 4 tanks (level 5 or 6) and cos I had died so much already, I got 3 bombs from continuing and then blew up a tank immediately to eat 4th. Helps if you use savebstate just before tanks :)

Shouldn't I get infinite continues at some point?!

Last night I was doing well and then difficulty ramped up by level 5 and it was some bullrt hell levels of manic! Need to die here and there and not just hold fire all the time. And leg some popcorn go. I think that’s the trick?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Can't remember tbh (continues) but I'm certain theres a setting to make popping that cheevo fairly straight forward?
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I'm on a roll. 2 games in as many days is unheard of for me.

3. Exile's End - Vita
    I sort of enjoyed this, probably because I've not played any of the modern Metroidy type games. I had to restart after 20 minutes thanks to an autosave which left me surrounded by enemies with virtually no health. I put it down at one point, told it to fuck off and decided not to touch it again, yet here we are. The best, worst game I've played. 5
  • I played it for a couple of minutes and thought it'd be a good one to play if I ever stumble upon all the time in the world.  Serviceable flotsam.  I'll be treating myself to Iconoclasts at some point, 2017 cured me of not liking the genre.
  • 18 with Octodad: The Dadliest Catch.
  • So far this year I have basically played Monster Hunter: World and, er,...Monster Hunter: World.
  • Well, there's three quarters of the year left.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!