52 Games in a year challenge: 2018
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Celeste "probably top 5 games of all time" per your words gets the same score as Ninja Senki DX? I mean what the actual fuck you are literally and quantitatively a moran.

*Raises finger*  I do have a semi-legit excuse for this.  I had Celeste on a [10] until I played Hollow Knight, which made me realise that Celeste is just utterly superb rather than an actual GoaT masterpiece, so I went back and downgraded Celeste to a paltry/still whopping [9] because I wanted my top mark to remain hallowed ground.  I then looked at my other [10]s from the past couple of years and decided they could stay (Fez, Thumper, Odyssey).  Senki being a [9] For What It Is (a Mission Accomplished bitesize £4.99 late 80's homage platformer) and sharing the same score as Celeste doesn't mean it's anywhere near as good as Celeste in my head.  On a similar note, I might give something outside of my top 5 - like Tetris - a perfect score despite not actually liking it that much.  

It doesn't have to make sense to you, see,  I'm not even entirely sure it makes sense to me, but I've had my fun, and that's all that matters.
  • So if a game set out to be shit, and it is actually shit, it would get a 9 for being what it is?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I can see how someone might join the dots in such a way to set up a rhetorical question, but no.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    36 with TorqueL, nicely timed fur the end of hols.

I need to start writing mini reviews again. Will play catch up once back home and at a pc. And then hit some sponsored games...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm claiming Friday the 13 the, despite only having done 8 chapters, as fur some reason they're free while the last four cost £8.99. Decent little puzzler.
  • In that case I claim the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo.
  • None of this is surprising.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I reached the credits & couldn't do the bonus stages. That's clearly legit.
  • Credits, gotcha.  In that case I've completed Captain Toad again.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Heh, that doesn't say anything! How far are you in Captain Toad?

I was wondering if 100% for a book is all diamonds and subquests, or if you also need the pixel things. I've completed the main game and Odyssey stages, but there's still things that can be unlocked. Got all the diamonds in the first two books, so got still some left. Not sure if I really can be bothered to do the sub quests. Couple of the later stages made me pretty angry and Toad's voice doesn't help with that.
  • Updated with games 27, 28, 29 and 30... Asemblance, Zombie Army Trilogy, Tekken 7 and ONRUSH.

27. Asemblance
    21st July 2018
    Bit of an obtuse one this, and as I later found out, not a standalone title but the short prologue to a future episodic series.  A walking simulator crossed with a psychological thriller, the game begins with you in a lab of sorts, one that seems to act as a portal to unlocking memories which you can then explore.  There follows a mysterious and fractured series of memories that have implications of a wife and child in them but of their whereabouts and well being we are not told.  Nothing is really resolved and there are a number of equally obtuse endings that can be unlocked and secrets uncovered, one can only imagine future titles would embellish the plot further.  For now it is a bit of a curio that may blossom into something more.  6.5

28. Zombie Army Trilogy
    15th July 2018 - 5th August 2018
    A spin off from Rebellion's Sniper Elite series, this game sees you revisiting maps and locales from the main games, the 'plot' revolving around Hitler's last days in the bunker and his final act of desperation, releasing the Nazi Zombie horde.  Playing as one of eight characters, you battle thousands of the occult Nazi horde over three acts, as you push through Germany to defeat Hitler and his nefarious army of cadavers.  A very long and repetitive title, with many a difficulty spike (on Sniper Elite level), and one probably best experienced in co-op, the game suggests this is the way to play but solo is fine.  It isn't a great game, it isn't bad, but its gameplay loop will see many give it up.  Not me though, I stubbornly battered through and gave old Jerry what for, even if he was already technically dead. 7

29. Tekken 7
    5th August 2018 - 6th August 2018
    This was free to play over the weekend dated here and it was a good title to give one's gamerscore a massage so I had a dabble.  I am far from the world's biggest beat 'em up fan but I do seem to cross paths with the genre every now and then.  This is incredible polished and quite an easy beat 'em up to get to grips with.  I rinsed the bonkers campaign story mode, which was entertaining nonsense, and also gave the character missions a good go and the Treasure Battle mode.  It wouldn't be something I would probably buy but I could appreciate its slick production values and intense fighting.  7

30. ONRUSH
    10th August 2018 - 12th August 2018
    Another Xbox free weekend opportunity, and one to finally experience why this game failed to trouble the tills.  It's an objective based arcade racer, and one where the reward isn't from crossing the line first.  The various race types on offer see you racing through gates to add seconds to a decreasing timer, accumulating points from boosting to reach a target score and other such objectives.  The core racing is solid, the first several hours very enjoyable, I really enjoyed the objective nature of it, its flaws present themselves over time though, and begin to grate after a while.  Its biggest issue is the takedown mechanic, and the apparently arbitrary nature of it.  The takedown from above is fine, no issues, but the side on takedown is odd, unreliable and frustrating to pull off consistently without failure, it doesn't seem to award the aggressor.  Coupled with this is an unskippable wreckcam and unnecessary respawn time of three seconds that kills the flow of the game, and given the flimsiness of the vehicles, wrecking is something you see a lot.  A missed opportunity perhaps, maybe it was doomed no matter the result, maybe its flaws were glaringly evident in the beta and kept people away.  It's a great game at £20, ideal for Game Pass even, it is still getting supported despite lay offs so hopefully it may have its flaws addressed. 7.5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Glad you enjoyed Tekken.  I've struggled a bit with the single player content.  Think I prefer the old fashioned format, of unlocking characters as you go and a quick CGI scene when you beat the arcade mode.  Can understand why that format's fallen out of fashion, though.

Couple of quick ones over the last 2 nights

Rez Infinite

This was pretty cool and is a game I'd be happy to play once every few years.  Will try it on PSVR if given the chance too.  A really enjoyable experience, though my lack of rhythm, or lack of understanding how to make the sound effects mesh with the soundtrack, probably mean I get a bit less out of this game than many of its biggest fans do.

Sine Mora

It looks a bit like Porco Rosso but it has an oddly dark (and quite well written, I thought) story.  I liked it well enough, apart from some inconsistent challenge on the boss fights, and sometimes the screen would move and I'd find myself bashing against walls where I never expected to.  I was pretty shit at the game too!  Scored a grade of E on each and every chapter.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Nina wrote:
    Heh, that doesn't say anything! How far are you in Captain Toad? I was wondering if 100% for a book is all diamonds and subquests, or if you also need the pixel things. I've completed the main game and Odyssey stages, but there's still things that can be unlocked. Got all the diamonds in the first two books, so got still some left. Not sure if I really can be bothered to do the sub quests. Couple of the later stages made me pretty angry and Toad's voice doesn't help with that.

Near the end of chapter two.  It's slow going because Tilly's interest seems to wane after a stage or two, especially as she can't solve the puzzles herself anymore.  Great game though, it joins Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze on a very short list of post-90s games I've played through twice.  I'm hoping Mario 3D World joins them sometime next year.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    How do I know when I've completed a game?

Up to you, it could be completing the game or playing 10hrs+ if it no ending or a multiplayer game. Replays count as long as all the games are completed in 2018.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I played through FIFA 18 twice
  • I'm not really counting Toad.  Bloody Romans etc.
  • I put in a few hours on SFV with a new DLC character. I should count that.
  • Up to a genuine 56 now with Unravel Two.  Perhaps don't take my word for it as that doesn't go too well for most of you lot, but it's a co-op delight.
  • Thanks. Another one for me to avoid then.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm starting to like this Elf bloke
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Near the end of chapter two.  It's slow going because Tilly's interest seems to wane after a stage or two, especially as she can't solve the puzzles herself anymore.  Great game though, it joins Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze on a very short list of post-90s games I've played through twice.  I'm hoping Mario 3D World joins them sometime next year.
    I can see that. I can't play this for much longer than an hour at a time. It's a good game, but it starts to annoy me after a while (mainly the voices) and the camera is a bit of a pain in some levels.

• 57. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Donkey Kong Adventure.

And that's my word limit reached on page 3, which didn't happen until early December last time iirc.
  • Yeah, your Superhot review does go on a bit.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Well deserved dedication though, superb game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Up to 38, with a few mid progress alongside (Not A Hero, SuperHot, Monkey Island, ...). Should be into the 40s soon, so the home stretch...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye. It's been a while, and spotted in on my Bone, so thought why not?
  • Captain Toad.

This was a bit of fun!  I don't have much new to say about it.  Just a nice, quick and well crafted Nintendo game.  I give it a big fat 8 out of 10.
    Nina wrote:
    Heh, that doesn't say anything! How far are you in Captain Toad? I was wondering if 100% for a book is all diamonds and subquests, or if you also need the pixel things. I've completed the main game and Odyssey stages, but there's still things that can be unlocked. Got all the diamonds in the first two books, so got still some left. Not sure if I really can be bothered to do the sub quests. Couple of the later stages made me pretty angry and Toad's voice doesn't help with that.

You need to do the subquests to unlock the final batch of levels.  I can't bear the thought of playing 90% of the levels again, though.  I'm fine with mopping up all the diamonds, but a lot of the sub quest conditions seem to tedious for their own good.  

Regardless I've had my fill from the game.  The 3 proper sets of levels are pretty well judged in length variety and challenge IMO.  The bonus stages where you're leading around a bunch of Toads didn't really do it for me.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!