The D I Y Thread - Making a house a Home..
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Doing decorating at the moment too. Painted three walls and the ceiling, and put new skirting board on. The skirting is not exactly fun to do...but I feel good for doing it! We're going to do wallpapering too, which I am pretty apprehensive about!

Take your time. Make sure to put some paste on the walls so you can do the sliding bit. 

I used a roller to apply the paste - It made the spreading simpler and more uniform. 

I cut it so there was 3cm extra on the top and the bottom, and used scissors, not a stanley knife to cut the top and bottom. 

If you are matching then I suggest you try to almost half the paper length ways so you can match the edge first and then move in up and down easily, then brush across to flatten the rest of the paper. 

It took me about 2 hours to do the wall. But I'm more than happy with the results.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Thanks for the tips, we are pattern matching so it will be good fun. I'm sure there will be Harsh Language and arguments going on.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Thanks for the tips, we are pattern matching so it will be good fun. I'm sure there will be Harsh Language and arguments going on.

And the sad thing is that the harsh language and arguments will just be by yourself.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Oh yeah, I find that Harsh Language is the key to D.I.Y success.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Haha, try not to hit your thumb with the hammer.
    I did a bit of the living room today but managed to bust my ribs this morning so its slow going...
  • Hulka T wrote:
    but managed to bust my ribs this morning so its slow going...
    Theres a story in there
  • Someone explain why wallpaper.
  • Wallpaper is the ultimate display of male DIY domination. Few have conquered its perils. 

It strikes fear and dread in the heart of the strongest man.  

It makes grown men swear and cry. 

Why Wallpaper... Why not... ?
  • Because it looks shit?
  • Yup. pretty much.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Finished off my daughter's bedroom last night, only took six months between applying the first and second coat of paint. Finished off by wallpapering one wall, a few Harsh Words were spoken during couple of hours it took to do, but I'm pleased with the results. Pattern matching is a complete PITA.
    Things can only get better.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Someone explain why wallpaper.

Just lining paper to help keep the room warmer, plaster can look harsh
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I needed lining paper on my walls when we redecorated cos it's basically holding the wall together.
  • painting the living room. Easy. Get it done in a hour then get some dark souls on..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Just swapped the toilet seat. Is there any more loathsome DIY job?

Still, my reciprocating saw made short work of those rusty threads. haha!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Fucking plastic "hand tight" dishwasher/washing machine pipes.

Had one start leaking, so I tightened it up using some pipe grips, and it snapped. Hands up everyone who didn't see that coming.

Replaced the pipe and now it's started leaking and I'm too frightened to do it up much tighter in case that snaps as well. Grr.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I started making a bookcase today but I ran out of impact adhesive so I can't finish it, doh!!!

7575139306_0ae06d6a3f_z_d.jpg

7575131166_9181877949_z_d.jpg

7575122956_9f9f957bfe_z_d.jpg

7575113100_e81ac4f744_z_d.jpg
    I've got a bit of tweaking to do before the proper work starts, filling and sanding and painting.
  • Your ruler/spirit-level skills leave a lot to be desired.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's very nice, you handy bastard.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Very nice. Is it me or would it look better without the back on it?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Very nice. Is it me or would it look better without the back on it?
    I had an idea of once it's painted doing a distressed Union Jack on it so for this one the back would be better, also the way it is at the mo the back can be removed so it can used both ways. There is actually a 20mm gap at the back of the shelves as I may get around to putting LED's behind them.

One other thing is I may fix a glass vase to the top as I think that would make a nice illusion.

Depending on the feedback I get from friends (a neighbour has already said they'd like one) I may actually get some CNC'd as it would be miles quicker! I so want my own CNC machine so I could give up my day job...
  • Do we have to hear about your day job.. Again?

Excellent work though Moto . Clearly very good with your hands.

Mrs Moto is a lucky person.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It was more a figure of speech...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    One other thing is I may fix a glass vase to the top as I think that would make a nice illusion.

That would be cool, except how would you do it?

If you glued the vase down you couldn't use it for real flowers as you need to be able to replace the water. If you velcro'd it you'd need to be certain it would take the weight and hold.

If you used fake water and flowers (say clear jelly) then would you set the water to rest level or match the angle. Decisions.
  • This weekend I have been breaking up and removing the concrete from my backyard, didn't seem much of a job but I was flipping knackered after. The rubble had to be carried through the house as there is no access to the back which made things nice and messy inside. Relaying the concrete will be fun as it will have to be carted through the house in buckets.

Will be worth it though as it'll be lovely with a freshly laid surface without weeds and mud showing through. I'd quite like to astroturf it when it's done as I think that would look a lot more funky than the concrete.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm going to build a house out of shipping containers.  You heard it here.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Good luck with that under the fearsome Aussie sun.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Never fear, spray em with ceramic paint, add a layer of insulation and BAM, instant comfort.  It's very cold here at present fyi.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    I'm going to build a house out of shipping containers.  You heard it here.
    Or you could come over here, and kick some students out of these:

0607-306-w-containerwoningen.jpg

Street full of containers, and they even cut in windows for the students that live there!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I might do that.  Students, pah.  Great idea though and not enough of it.  Been doing a lot of reading about shipping container houses; they make good (green) sense and are bloody cheap to boot.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!