The D I Y Thread - Making a house a Home..
  • THERE'S NO SHED!

Everyone stay calm, I'm sure it is just out of shot.
  • Truthahn1 wrote:
    My father did his entire garden, all by himself, with no plans or anything. He made all of the decking and the bench and a vegetable garden... I was so proud. :') EpDuF.jpg

That's actually really cute, he looks like he's taken pride in it. Plus I've seen far less accomplished gardens carried out by 'professionals'.

Well done him.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I boxed in our bay window the other day, nothing too funky but I am pleased with the hinged lid, not only does it hold my weight but I used my new Bosch Multithing to start the lid. Normally when cutting a piece out of another piece you have to drill a hole to get the jigsaw in but I can now cut straight into the wood to get a starting point without drilling. Just got to fill a few screwholes and give it a lick of paint and Bob's my uncle.

The dogs love it up there and I've now got some extra storage space to fill with shit I really should think of either selling or throwing away!

8367298002_4cf103d069_z.jpg
  • This had me in hysterics

It's very Viz, not sure if that is where it came from, sure it will tickle some of you guys too.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I've been asked to make one of these

2012-06-20-1378-750x550_zps9b9058c2.jpg

Now, as pictured there that's obviously pretty trivial. So I was wondering if the talented folks here might suggest something a bit more attractive?

I was thinking of a pitched/gable roof on the enclosed bit maybe? Any other suggestions?

It's so a tortoise, of all things, can be put outside safely, so it can't have/doesn't need multilevel runs or anything like that.
  • If its for kids then make it into a miniature fort. That would be cool.
    Of course you know who I am..
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Also if its for kids you might want to make it a bit bigger, I think the nspcc would frown upon putting kids in that.
  • Yes, agreed. Stop putting the kids in cages mod.
    Of course you know who I am..
  • Any plumbers out there?

I had a go at fixing the taps in the downstairs bathroom. They were locked up solid (unable to turn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqOi1S_ophI) so I turned off the water under the sink in the kitchen (main feed into the house) and ran a few taps to empty the pipes so that I could remove the headgear. Instead of trying to fix them like in the video above I just replaced them with a couple of new ones. 

Everything seemed to be fine. Turned the mains tap back on and the newly repaired taps work fine (the water ran a bit dirty for a few seconds - they've not really seen much use for a while.) The pressure seems good. Job done... until I tried the taps upstairs - there was a whole load of glugging and spitting, then a shortlived bit of flow and now the pressure upstairs is pretty much zero. The only thing that seems to work is the electric shower that has a built in pump to pressurise the water. Other than that the taps are all pretty weak.

It's an older house so we still have a tank in the attic for cold water. I'm pretty sure I can hear it filling up slowly. Will I just need to wait for that or do I have an airlock problem? Any advice would be welcome...
  • Sounds like you have a bit of air in the system that should sort itself out with a bit of time. Especially if you emptied it before you swapped them round. If the main feed goes to the new taps first before the water tank, this would explain why there is no pressure yet. Give it time. Don't run the downstairs for a bit and let the upstairs tank fill a bit more.

I think.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Yeah, if you have a tank in the loft, and turned the mains off then emptied it...you need to wait for it to fill up again before there'll be any pressure in the upstairs taps.

All the tank is there for is to provide pressure via stored energy in areas where low mains pressure would mean the upstairs ones just dribbled.
  • Cheers chaps. I'll give it some time.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Yeah, if you have a tank in the loft, and turned the mains off then emptied it...you need to wait for it to fill up again before there'll be any pressure in the upstairs taps.

All the tank is there for is to provide pressure via stored energy in areas where low mains pressure would mean the upstairs ones just dribbled.

sorry Mod, you didn't quite use the correct language there. So rather than use my ability to interpret what you say using my brain, im going to pick holes in the words you used and use that as a basis to claim your points have no substance.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Oops. Sorry, im in a cunt of a mood.
  • Still wasn't getting any water through the taps upstairs today. I attached one of those rubber pipe showerhead things that you attach to bath taps to one end of the hose from the electric shower and the other to the non functioning tap and blasted some water back through the system for a few seconds.  There was a bit of gurgling from the tank upstairs and it looks like I have water pressure back. Must have been an airlock or blockage somewhere.
  • good stuff!
  • "Built" a dog door thing to fit into the backdoor. It's awesome. Cost all of $20. Sliding door, but it fits in between. No damage to rental property! Also managed to cover up a fireplace for next to nothing. Gotta keep baby warm.

Props to my dad for all the technical know how. I probably shouldn't mention all the ikea furniture I've built this week too. It's not really DIY.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!