The Last Thing You Bought
  • I think my "local" Butchers is around 15/20 miles away. There are four supermarkets within 10 miles of where I live.

I live at my parents, but if I lived alone, I couldn't drive so this is where the problem arises.
  • Well, exactly. Yes, I buy fish in my weekly shop. Cunningly, I eat it before it goes off.

I noticed last night they have dates on the packaging when you are meant to use stuff. I intend to use this to help me plan my meals in future. 

I buy fresh when I can, but the tradition of opening 9-5 seems a bit daft nowadays. 

I would shop local if they were open. Simples. I cant support somewhere that has a closed sign up.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I have no local butchers/fishmongers/etc. I have a Tesco Extra within spitting distance though. Plus, I probably couldn't afford to shop in a local butcher etc anyway, as they're generally more expensive than supermarkets (are they not)?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    More expensive but better quality.  Markedly better.  Get what you pay for etc.  Perhaps eat better quality meat  but eat meat less often?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Yeah, where from? 20 miles away? This is the issue.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I think my "local" Butchers is around 15/20 miles away. There are four supermarkets within 10 miles of where I live. I live at my parents, but if I lived alone, I couldn't drive so this is where the problem arises.

You haven't got a butchers within 15/20 miles of your house?!
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • I did a little research, there is one that I didn't know about that is 5 miles away. The closest after that is around 15, yep.

There are still 4 super markets within closer proximity than the butchers. Then there are opening hours of course, I leave the house at 0700 and get back at 1830. Now that leaves the weekends fine for me, but I don't do the shopping, my parents do.

I'm just pointing out why supermarkets have taken over. I don't think it is a good thing.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I did a little research, there is one that I didn't know about that is 5 miles away. The closest after that is around 15, yep. There are still 4 super markets within closer proximity than the butchers. Then there are opening hours of course, I leave the house at 0700 and get back at 1830. Now that leaves the weekends fine for me, but I don't do the shopping, my parents do. I'm just pointing out why supermarkets have taken over. I don't think it is a good thing.

It's rubbish but then if you run your own business you need to be adaptable as well. If I had a retail shop ( and not necessarily food stuff) I would be more inclined to open from 11-7 than 9 -5 a couple of days a week.  

I always get something from the local farmers market, like @skerret says, the meat is much better quality in general. Its more about the timing. The local butchers is in the arse end of town as well. Been there for about 50 years, so it is doing something right. It still has the sawdust smell when you walk in. 
    mazing..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Skezz always goes on about these awesome local markets and stuff he has in Melbourne, and all the bespoke food he can source and all that jazz and I do respect his sense in that matter, and envy him for having access to it but it simply isn't real life for many people.

When I live on my own i'll endeavour to be smarter with my shopping, but in my family 'unit' my Mum still does the weekly shop, her yearly budget was slashed by after she was made redundant from a job she's had since she was 21, it took her 6 months to get back into fulltime work and her current job pays her roughly £10k less than her previous job. They were already 'living to their means' on the previous salary, so more cutting back has happened since.

This world of farmers markets, butchers, local greengrocers etc just doesn't exist for a lot of families, for a lot of reasons many of which are just far outside of 'poor food education'.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Yeah, where from? 20 miles away? This is the issue.
    Was I talking to you Temp, was I?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skreeet lives the life I want, probably knows all the market traders who wish him g'day as he rollerskates by with his walkman and tube socks on collecting fresh organic produce in brown paper bags or something.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Skezz always goes on about these awesome local markets and stuff he has in Melbourne, and all the bespoke food he can source and all that jazz and I do respect his sense in that matter, and envy him for having access to it but it simply isn't real life for many people. When I live on my own i'll endeavour to be smarter with my shopping, but in my family 'unit' my Mum still does the weekly shop, her yearly budget was slashed by after she was made redundant from a job she's had since she was 21, it took her 6 months to get back into fulltime work and her current job pays her roughly £10k less than her previous job. They were already 'living to their means' on the previous salary, so more cutting back has happened since. This world of farmers markets, butchers, local greengrocers etc just doesn't exist for a lot of families, for a lot of reasons many of which are just far outside of 'poor food education'.
    Agree with all that and if I can add a retrospective caveat to all I say on the matter, it's that you get what you can and I'd never suggest you do otherwise.  My high falutin' eating habits are only so because I can afford it and have access to it, but as I say I am lucky.  I don't suggest all who follow me do likewise and am well aware  it's not so easy for most.

While I'm here, I finally got my favourite brand of quark, four tubs of it!  Bless the local organic grocery.
  • Skreeet lives the life I want, probably knows all the market traders who wish him g'day as he rollerskates by with his walkman and tube socks on collecting fresh organic produce in brown paper bags or something.

He is thrown an apple from the cute girl on fruit stand every morning as well. every morning.. for free.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skreeet lives the life I want, probably knows all the market traders who wish him g'day as he rollerskates by with his walkman and tube socks on collecting fresh organic produce in brown paper bags or something.
    Bar the skates, that's pretty bang on.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skreeet lives the life I want, probably knows all the market traders who wish him g'day as he rollerskates by with his walkman and tube socks on collecting fresh organic produce in brown paper bags or something.
    He is thrown an apple form the cute girl on fruit stand every morning as well. every morning..
    Her name is Justine.
  • lollerspackerskates...
  • With Darkwave on the Walkman, which isn't actually a Walkman 'cause it's a Lloytron.
  • A chalice.
  • Wouldn't it be nice if your local greengrocer, butcher and fishmonger all set up shop right next to each other every 4 or 5 miles or so in any direction? They might also want to include a general store with convenience items in a little plaza where everyone who walks in can just filter from one shop to another and maybe pay for everything at the end in one go, no muss, no fuss but all the joy of local shopping. Do I dream a dream? Perhaps I do. But what a glorious dream it is.
  • IMAGINE
  • It could be called All Shops All Directions!! or ASAD..
  • Nah, that immediately made me think of One Direction. Dream is spoiled.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I'm finding it hard to shake the image of a rollerskating Skerret, hopefully it'll pass.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Now I'm thinking of One Direction.  Day is spoiled.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Birdorf wrote:
    I'm finding it hard to shake the image of a rollerskating Skerret, hopefully it'll pass.
    Balls out, not a care in the world.
  • You'll care if you fall over.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    You'll care if you fall over.
    I have a cupping system.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Agree with all that and if I can add a retrospective caveat to all I say on the matter, it's that you get what you can and I'd never suggest you do otherwise.  My high falutin' eating habits are only so because I can afford it and have access to it, but as I say I am lucky.  I don't suggest all who follow me do likewise and am well aware  it's not so easy for most.

While I'm here, I finally got my favourite brand of quark, four tubs of it!  Bless the local organic grocery.

Aye, I've not got a probelm with what you post on the whole, more just the general attitude of plenty of folks on the matter.
  • Yep, I can't afford to be choosy.
  • Birdorf wrote:

Hotpants...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!