The fucking expert
  • Watership Down for Mastermind.  Or maybe Sega consoles Master System to Saturn, if I could be that specific.  Would do quite well with Bob Dylan, even having forgotten chunks of info, but there'd be too many potential questions to ask.  Gotta play the game.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Oh fuck I would've straight up rekt fools at THPS 1-4.

Back in the day I think I would have put up a good fight too

On 3 I could compete, but don't know the maps on the others as intimately

Pretty good map memory overall but I'll straight piece a bro up on Marseille thps2 or the airport thps3. Hours and hours and hours on them competing with my ridiculously skilled best mate growing up. We were like Prost and Senna except with acne and general teenage awkwardness.
  • It depends on what and how you define expert. 

Two people on here have said mario kart on the snes, yet in my circles they would be average (not even good or close to expert). But it is the game they consider themselves most expert. 

Also reg - I didn't know you run SMW. Whats your PB? 

I tend to play a smaller number of games to more depth. I'd say at some point i've been "expert" (by which I mean in the top 5% of player base) at Timesplitters 2, Tetris (arguable as it depends on version and mechanic), Advance Wars DS, International Superstar Soccer 2000.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I've never cared about getting good at any game, but did get really good at jimmying nice results out of the standard Fallout 4 building tools after spending a good few hours building while stoned.

Seem to remember being a dab hand at Ouendan (fuck your Elite Best Agents) back in the day, too. My DS screen has permanent circles etched into it, to remind me.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Swingball.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Subbax wrote:
    Swingball.

I see your swingball and raise you patball.
  • Could anyone else here complete Revenge of Shinobi without using any shurikens?  No.  The answer is no.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    SongPop champ.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Could anyone else here complete Revenge of Shinobi without using any shurikens?  No.  The answer is no.

I've done it so many times I've lost count. Unfortunately I have a rare medical condition that means I've been forbidden to play it ever again. Because I can never prove my amazing, best in the world, skills at the game I guess I'll let you be the best.

You're welcome, and congratulations.

• Unlikely wrote:
    Could anyone else here complete Revenge of Shinobi without using any shurikens?  No.  The answer is no.
    Did anyone else ever want to?
  • Was an expert at kerby when i were younger.
  • Challenge accepted.
  • Reckon I could still merk fuckers at Melee, my pals and I used to enter local tournaments way back when. Rusty as hell now but there’s unlikely to be any game I’ve put more hours into. Was also decent at Soul Calibur II.

Also, well, Splatoon obvs. Ink courses through my veins.
  • JonB wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Did anyone else ever want to?

yes ur mom
  • California Games for me, on console or arcade. Won a fair bit of money at an early David Lloyds, hustling on their California Games cab.

Did similar with table football in a variety of bars in Clapham, 15 years or so back. Has to have flat corners though, no spinning.
  • Pikmin(s) and King of Thieves.
  • I'm not really good at any game. I used to be ok at Double Dash, but only in the context of friends.
  • Overwatch, I s'pose.

I'll never be Top 500 or anything (my mechanical skillz have long since faded with age) but with thousands of hours of play time across PS4 and PC, and hundreds of hours of watching the eSports scene from its birth, I know the game inside out.

I know the maps like the back of my hand, every choke, every general and hero specific flanking route and vantage point. I know the heroes, their utility, their cooldowns, their counters, and how, where, and when to use them to best effect. I can predict enemy ult charge and when they'll be used, predict strats, team and solo plays based on team comp, positioning, and/or visibility.

I know the lore, the development history, the design process, and I could talk your ears off about the cleverest, most characterful FPS animations in all of videogamedom.

I can also rant for hours about what I think should be changed, and frequently ignore all my acquired knowledge and make complete sausage plays. But hey, what's PvP without a lil salt to season?
  • I want to see a list from dubs
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    I've done it so many times I've lost count. Unfortunately I have a rare medical condition that means I've been forbidden to play it ever again. Because I can never prove my amazing, best in the world, skills at the game I guess I'll let you be the best. You're welcome, and congratulations.

BY9pPJ1.jpg
  • mk64 wrote:
    It depends on what and how you define expert. 

Two people on here have said mario kart on the snes, yet in my circles they would be average (not even good or close to expert). But it is the game they consider themselves most expert. 

Its very subjective isn't though? Me and mates couldn't afford anything other than one game a year (£60 a cartridge) so that's all we played all the time, 24/7/365. We discovered some great bugs in the game because we played it so much over and over again. Some of the bugs we couldn't repeat because they were compete random occurrences.

You'd also start putting artificial rules in just to change it up. In co-op your mate picking your character or vice versa. Playing as a shrunken character. Not being allowed to use an items. Then they got more stupid, not being allowed to turn right. If you wanted to turn right you'd do a 360 left turn. Sounds stupid but was hilarious.

That game was something else. I still remember when we broke the minute barrier on Mario Circuit 1 on 100cc. It was like Mansell and Senna at Monaco when Mansell had to come in for a tyre change due to a puncture. He was all over Senna but couldn't get past. Same with my mate, one of those races where I was attached to his rear bumper. We were so engaged that we didn't notice the time we got. When we did, we just sat there I'm disbelief. So many memories, good times.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS). I've quite possibly played that game more than anyone on Earth. I've played it less in the last few years, but when I go on it its all still there, secret items, Chaos Emerald locations, attack patterns. Its like its seared into my brain from repeated play.

Fuck it, I'm going to have to set up my Master System again.
  • So is there a speedier method for the Labyrinth boss or not?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    So is there a speedier method for the Labyrinth boss or not?

Than what? Are you standing on one side all the time? If so you don't have to.
  • Turns out I'm talking out my arse.  All these years I thought you could only hit him once in the middle for some reason.

Still know where all the emeralds are though.  And that the music is on par with the best in the series.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Half-Life 2 Team Deathmatch possibly.
  • Oh christ in that case then, good god yes there is.

Twice is easy to do, three times is very tight, but absolutely doable.
  • I won a Sonic 2 competition on the Sega Bus back in ‘93.

I used to be virtually unbeatable on Dr Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine, amongst friends.

Other than those, nothing springs to mind.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I'm trying to think, but i'm not sure i'm 'expert' at any game. I generally very quickly attain a level of competency, generally enough (in local multiplayer games) to be the 'best' within my circle of friends. but replaying a game again and again to become expert at it, to know it inside out and be 'perfect' at it never really appealed. I'd prob 'justify to myself' by saying i play for fun, and that achieving that level of expertise would rob the game of fun/challenge....but then since i take that 'settle for ok' attitude into pretty much every other part of my life, it's prob just because i'm too lazy and feckless to care or put the effort in.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • On the sega master system I was able to complete R-type on 1 credit. Those were the days....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!