Trials Rising - February 2019

• Behind my previous time (actually my previous previous time), but absolutely nailed the slide at the end. It even has a little break correction to bring bring the bike right.
  • Servers aren't accepting times at the moment. I got the Sewer Rat diamond last night, but it's not showing on the leaderboard. Annoying, as it was a 1.5 second PB and not something I can easily do again.

Ah well, when servers are back online I'll grind it out. Maybe I'll get a really decent time :(
  • Shit, forgot about his then went on holiday with no wifi. Will do the track/album this week.
  • Yeah, give me a time. I want to see if it's fair to say I only get the first song to post a run.

• Diamond number 63 - took a bit longer than it should have to get it again. The diamond line is super precise, which I guess is a given on extremes. I take a slighter slower route over the two circular obstacles because it's much more consistent, and then save time with a fast end (I think it's pretty fast from the checkpoint before the jump over the bomb barrel and the drop).
  • I decided to focus a bit on getting some of the diamonds here, since Slay the Spire stopped working randomly on Game Pass. I think True Scotsman was around diamond 51, and I decided at that point to post whatever diamond number 69 was. So here it is.

Hopefully I should have a blue belt pass sometime soon too. Made some progress, but back wheel hill climbs aren't solidly in my skill set, and checkpoint 4 is hard.
  • Apologies for being terrible. I've listened to the album twice but not tries the track yet.
  • Right I know I'm not supposed to play it without the album but I just had a very very quick go to see the track and it's decent, will put a time in later while listening to TheAngryChaps.
  • No problem. I've tried to pick something that's a bit easier if you don't nail the line perfectly and I'm glad it's ok.

Did you ever get the DLC's? The tracks in the second DLC are, in the most part, fantastic.
  • I've got the Gold edition, I've had a couple of rounds of DLC for sure but given that it's a Ubisoft game it's hard to pay attention to all of the pop-ups when you load the game.  I definitely seem to be rewarded for not playing it with a deluge of items every time.
  • There was a round of hats unlocking recently for no reason. The Trials Frontiers hat (yellow one with studs) is pretty cool.
  • This is a bit self indulgant, so don't feel obligated (as if anyone would....) to watch this.

I did a bit of ninja riding this morning, and since I didn't want to practice individual checkpoints on Blue Belt, I went back to Green Belt. I've uploaded the unedited replay, so all the fails and moments where I question my choices are included. Some things go well (checkpoints 7,8 and 10 completed without faults), and some don't go so well (19 faults on the last checkpoint, and god knows how many on checkpoint 5).

I appreciate that not many live and breath this like I do, so most won't have seen this.

Playing Green Belt gives me the feeling of early MMOs, or at least early WoW: Deep in a raid dungeon which has been tuned to be too hard. I hate the track, but I like that feeling.
  • I just don't understand almost any of it tbh, and this is coming from someone who played Trials Evo more than any other game....possibly ever (200+hrs, which is nothing compared to proper players but I still felt like it consumed my life). I only got to the point where I could zero fault two of the extreme courses, which was an undertaking for my skillset. Nothing ever comes naturally to me on Trials, I have to work for it, reach the point where I'm as good as I'm going to get at a track and hope for luck. Which often doesn't arrive for hours. What I'm rambling up to is the fact that these ninja tracks seem infinitely more tricky than the extremes I learned. Surely there's more of a difference between an easy and an extreme than there is between an extreme and a ninja. It's an almost unpossible sequence of expectations to my eyes and yet people can do it - it's almost like exploiting glitches. So basically, wow and well done. I think being this good at Trials is up there with the Tetris master videos. And it's the only thing I'm jealous of in gaming.
  • There's different ninja levels, which are somewhat analogous to the differences between hard and extreme etc. This is supposedly a 'ninja 3', so to extreme what extreme is to easy.

It doesn't come easy to most (and I definitely include myself in that). As you play more and more you get better, and it seems like there's no limit to it.

• MMmmm - throttle. I've done the 'baseline' ninja 3's in all aspects now - technical, FW/BW and throttle.

Throttle is the one that looks the most ridiculous, but is the easiest to repeat once you've got the muscle memory down. Actually getting it down though....
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fair play on your ninja journey man. I am so done with this series I'll never go back but still watch streams often.
  • I do feel a bit more like a 'proper' ninja now. I think I could have jumped in and had a fair crack at ninja 2's a month or so after launch, but 3's are a progression. I can definitely break obstacles into techniques now, and there's not much I look at now without any idea of what I'm doing. I often can't do it, but I know what I'm looking at.
  • Hi, anyone seen this game? It's like a care version of trials 

https://youtu.be/TjD1Bc5dWLc
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Looks sort of fun, but not in the same way as trials. Trials is super precise, and that looks kind of loose.

I think Trackmania was supposed to be the cars version of trials, but I never played it.
  • Cars version of Trials works well enough as a descriprion, or vice versa. It's super precise for sure (Trackmania)
  • [Insert video of me playing against Muzzy's ghost on his favourite track]
  • I installed Trials Evo gold edition on my PC and it's even better than I remember. 

I'm not sure if it's me remembering incorrectly, but I don't remember having to get loads of medals to unlock the later tracks. I only wanted to play the extreme tracks, and I ended up having to play through/get gold on everything (including the skill games) to unlock each additional tournament. I don't mind playing the tracks but the skill games are shit.
  • Well, that's me done with the extreme platinum medals. They were a lot easier than I remember them being, especially the first few.

This was the last one - not a super clean run, but the time requirements are pretty simple so it didn't matter.

• Evo is probably my favourite game of all time, factoring in the community tracks. Incredibly good.
  • ...and that's a blue belt pass. Took quite a bit more work than I thought it would on passing green belt. I was getting the timing on the 4th checkpoint horribly wrong for a long time. Clicked today and I passed (after accidentally restarting the track on the last checkpoint... Had to take a bit of a break after that happened).

I'll post a video when I get the platinum.

• Brm brm. This jump is much harder than it looks - it's absolutely massive.
  • Passed my first level 4 ninja tonight, after a few nights of trying it. It didn't take me as long to pass this as it took me to pass my first level 3, but I've been working on some of my techniques.

Check this out - it looks pretty innocuous, but the bounce requires the use of break on landing and then throttle straight after to do a more stationary hop than a typical back wheel bounce would allow. 

I've been practicing my stationaries (i.e. hopping in place), and while I can do them pretty well, this is the first time I've actually used the stationary hop technique to pass an obstacle.

I'm pretty happy but I think I'll give this a bit of a break now.
  • your skill level is amazing @voices
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • It's way beyond possible for me, to the point where it's almost depressing.  I could play for 2000hrs and I wouldn't get there.  Top marks for the ongoing ridiculousness.
  • Thanks - a lot of it is muscle memory, so it's not as super impossible as it would seem. 

If anyone put in 2,000 hours they'd get pretty bloody good (even you Moot ;) ;) ). The difficulty is actually wanting to play and practice for 2,000 hours.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!