Trials Rising - February 2019
  • Been weak and bought Rising Gold for PC. Breaks 2 of my rules: the only client allowed is Steam; and no games with Denuvo. Was planning to get the PS4 version but reports of stutters put me off. So PC it is - demo plays perfectly. And, it was cheap.
  • My username is Voices881 if you want to add me on pc. The leader boards are cross platform, but you can only see friends times on your own platform (I'm on pc).
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If you do prepare to be humbled mrsmr2
  • Yeah, I need encouragement, not Voices seeing my times and thinking "how does this guy even manage to turn a pc on".
  • No judgement! There are a few times on there that a very beatable, though I've been pretty thorough so honestly not that many (though obviously all of them are beatable with enough work).
  • Much preferring Fusion so far. Rising just seems to be full of gimmicky stuff and there is sometimes too much going on in the background. I'm not a fan of moving and pivoting platforms, dropping platforms, rising platforms, and spending 50% of my time flying high in the air trying to guess what angle i need to be at when I land - which is sometimes hard to determine due to the busy'ness plus the way the game constantly moves the ground making judging gaps and landing points tricky (this latter point goes for Fusion as well).

Even preferring the art style of Fusion - just so much cleaner and easier to work out where I'm going to land.
    Another factor is that Fusion can be slower so less zoomed out than Rising, which helps to see the track.

I'm still on the easy tracks in Rising - 3rd unlocked area. I'm finding some of them tricky to get gold - I think there is a higher skill level to go fast here than in Fusion.

Will be interesting to compare once I get to Medium and Hard tracks.

Music is terrible in Rising, it's hit and miss in Fusion. And why does it take so long to load a track you've already done?

I think my main complaint is that Rising wants you to go fast but there are lots of annoying obstacles in the way that just slow you down and frustrate - including big jumps that are simply there so people can admire the backgrounds. Fusion has obstacles but they are part of the flow and you have more time to plan for them. Rising is much more muscle memory based.
  • And now just done 5 tracks in a row with much better flow. Feeling better about it now :-)

And then I get to Siberian Express. Stop. with. the. gimmicks.
  • I think it's easier to go fast in Rising, but it's a bit more gated than Fusion. What bikes have you unlocked?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah Rising is definitely more for the heads who've pumped a fair few hours into Trials. You need a few more basic, if unsuggested techniques like minimising airtime, coasting, braking to go faster etc. Once you get into that mindset it flows so well on most tracks (a few stinkers as ever though).
  • I have the first 2 bikes unlocked. And agree with the pace, I'm starting to see there is a requirement to slow down more in this game.

Still don't like the 'spectacle' on display - I just want to see the landing area clearly and in time.

Also, landing on inclined slopes is the bane of my existence (in any Trials game). Gave up with a B in the academy yesterday.

Having made it sound like I'm negative, this is still a good game with potential to be my favourite. The academy is excellent - wish I'd know some of that stuff in HD and it's helping my play through of Fusion.
  • Typically, to land on an incline and stick, you want to make contact with your back wheel first, while leaning backwards/sitting down. When your back wheel makes contact, shift your weight forward and apply a bit of throttle. The more precise your throttle control, the steeper inclines you can land on, but that only matters for extremely steep inclines, and blipping the throttle to full is typically good enough.

Edit: Sometimes you'll land, and bounce slightly upwards and forward using the above technique. Use the same technique again to regrip - i.e. lean back/rotate the bike anticlockwise while you're bouncing to lead with the back wheel again, and then lean forward as you land and blip the throttle. I think this is called a 'regrip', and it's the guy that did the University of Trials training section's biggest regret for not including information on.
  • Thanks voices

I had been trying to land with both wheels at the same time. My favourite thing is to lose the back wheel and face plant all the way back down the slope.
  • Unlocked Medium tracks and these are a nicer change of pace (bit slower).
  • I also enjoy losing my back wheel and pushing my bike away from slopes because I'm holding right on the stick. It's a bad habit.
  • Well I find this glorious. So many of the tracks have a really great flow.

Somehow I seem much more adept at a certain type of riding when I use the sticks, like when the back wheel hugs the contours of the track with minimal airtime during a sequence of inclines, or when I have to land- again just on the back wheel- and bunny hop forwards. Sadly for everything else I I seem better on the dpad . Tried switching but it throws me off a bit
  • Applying a bit of throttle when landing on an incline helps massively. Cheers voices.
  • One of the old HD extremes had a really difficult steep inclined landing right at the end of the track. I think it was one of the dlc extreme tracks, which reminded me of the temple level of Bart Vs the Space Mutants. Anyway - it was hard as nails using HD's heavy bike.
  • That wouldn't bother me because I probably wouldn't even get that far :-)

And, my new found ability to climb inclines in Fusion has not helped me in the least in the Rising Academy. Had another go and still at B.
  • Which part can't you get past? I can have look and record a few attempts if you want?
  • The 3 inclines in a row around the B marker. I can sometimes make it to the second, never the third, but mostly fail landing on the first. I'm not sure if it's a lot harder than Fusion or because of the speed of the landing.

I've experimented with using the brake which can sometimes help stabilise the bike.
  • Went through another load of medium tracks and these flow a lot better. Either I'm getting used to the game or the levels are a little more focussed with less 'spectacle' and less confusing landing points. Plus I have the 3rd bike now so that's a bit more interesting.

Still suck at inclines though.
  • Still plugging away at this. Still suck at inclines.

Can’t control the Mantis so Rhino is my most used bike.

UI crap aside, it’s very good. Mopping up golds on previous levels, looking for squirrels, and tackling the hard courses (which are my limit for now).

Been watching an old diamond race on twitch and the level of control the top people have is unreal - just seem glued to the track.
  • I used to be okay at this if I spent long enough on a track, but zero faulting hard tracks was always roughly my limit on Trials. I've had zero faults on extremes, but not many (two iirc).
  • Greatest series ever. I wish Rising had sold more, as I reckon it's the last Trials game we'll ever get. Maybe one day some developer will do a similar game.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I thought they may do a remaster of Evo this year as its 10 years, but alas I think RedLynx is done. It didn't help with the backlash Rising got on launch from many of the die hards.
  • Antti Ilvessuo left Redlynx/Ubisoft, so I think Trials is almost certainly done.
  • Managed to get through the bunny hop tutorial. Had a look at the leaderboards and voices’ time.

46 minutes for me, 37 seconds for voices.

So pretty close. Just keep looking over your shoulder voices. You might need a telescope now but one day ….
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Voices just uses macros and plays Destiny on a second screen so don't worry too much
  • Ha - bunny hops are one of those things that are pretty simple once you have them down. 

To be fair - after we talked about the tutorials, I went back and spent a bit of time getting my times reasonable. The bunny hop one is reasonably straight forward to do without faulting (though it's a bit awkward - there's no flow), so it's not too bad to get a low time with a few retries. The last few are more of a pain and not that fun.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I strongly suspect your definition of “not too bad” isn’t the same as most of the rest of ours.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!