B&B DnD or P&P RPG, potentially? Apparently Definitely.
  • Also would we use that roll20 thing for virtual dice rolling?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You need real dice.

"Yes Tempy, I know. It's incredible! 5 crits in a row. What are the chances?"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ideally dice rolls should be secret. Only the GM should see. Maybe not for everything but for plenty of stuff.
  • Aye, Roll20 is the one
  • I'm in for D&D, yes.
  • This is a cool idea and whilst it's not exactly my cup of tea, I wish yous all the best doing it. Hope fun is had.

Just here to ask,

So like everyone I'm super excited about Cyberpunk 2077, and knowing what it's based on, is there anything I can read/watch about the P&P rpg that'll help me understand/build hype? I'm already hyped on "CDPR doing sci-fi noir" but want more. I know that's a hard ask considering what 2022 is, just some info or something is all.

Apologies for the derail, just didn't know where else to ask.
  • This just landed on my twitter feed which seemed kind of appropriate for people thinking of playing for the first time...
    https://twitter.com/alexandraerin/status/1009510993922281472
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The Cyberpunk RPG setting was certainly inspired by noir, and Bladerunner
    made the two inseparable in a sense, but cyberpunk was its own thing before that.

From what i’ve seen and read Cp2020 is more Burning Chome/Snow Crash in feel than bladerunner Punks and hackers, junkies and go-go girls, fixers and Mafia geeks.

There’s probably a good rabbit hole to jump down starting here, with Pondsmith himself talking about being approached by CDPR to do the game with his setting:

Burning Chrome is an easy read too, and covers a lot of the aspects of cyberpunk that get ignored for the “wow neon!” parts.
  • Awesome. Thanks, man.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ok, so far we've got Rouj for weekdays 8pm onwards, handsofblue for weekdays and Kaz and Matty seem to say they want to see a time first before committing?

I could do 8pm too, just means I need to either skip after gym shower or lunch. Or be less lazy but that won't happen. Still out for Mondays and weekends.

How much time would you need to prepare a session Tempy? An hour? A week? I have no idea about this all, so I don't think it'd be a bad idea to throw a couple of dates out that suit you. How would you see the first session, just everyone getting to know each other, set the story and characters up etc and dive in in a second session?

And a couple of noob questions. I've been listening to the Adventure Zone, is it only the GM who does the dice rolls? Will there be a map everyone can look at? (I noticed pie posted something that could be useful on the previous page). How does the character creation go? Will the GM have a list of classes to choose from and you fill one in to your liking? Can there be double classes? Like I said, I don't know anything about it but it has crossed my mind a couple times for a while to try it out at some point. I mean, Blizzard is very close to B's work, the Pillars of Eternity guys are also in Irvine, there must be a scene for that here. That's 3 game companies close to each other in a super boring part of SoCal.
  • Having now thought this through properly and managed to get a reign on my excitedness, I doubt very much that I can commit to a weekly session, as much as I’d love to. So, with regret, I’m out.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • just throwing out thoughts without knowing anything about all this....
    but is it possible to set up a one-shot thing to be finished in one night, and then maybe do a bunch of those? what's the min time required to make it work?
    just thinking rather than people having to commit to regular weekly things, maybe (initially at least) make it a bit more ad hoc, 1 night only events?  then each week it's a case of tempy sets a time, then see who's available that week. I'm sure where most badgers can't commit to 'every thursday from 8pm', between those interested here you'd prob get enough who will say "I can do THIS thursday from 8'...or whatever day/time suits.
    then you might get more people interested in trying it out too if they aren't worried about letting everyone else down if they don't enjoy it or can't make every week.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • A one shot is likely going to take a minimum of 4-6 hours, if you're lucky. A good session of D&D really wants to be around 3hrs so you have enough time to get into it from starting/picking up from last session, and then getting into the flow of actually playing the game. I don't want to make it a weekly thing, bi-weekly seems fair enough. It gives me time to chase people in between sessions if stuff needs doing, and making sure everything is ready to make the session smooth. 

I understand the difficulty of asking people to commit, which is why I don't fancy doing a big campaign. A one shot tends to break down into 3 nice chunks 
    - getting to know each other and the situation you find yourself in
    - exploring the setting and figuring out what it's all building too (usually a level up here)
    - ending the one shot with the final encounter/event

That totals out at 9 hours, and it's a big commitment, but bi-weekly should be fine for that angle I feel.

Nina is knocking it out of the park with the questions so...
    Nina wrote:
    How much time would you need to prepare a session Tempy? An hour? A week? I have no idea about this all, so I don't think it'd be a bad idea to throw a couple of dates out that suit you. How would you see the first session, just everyone getting to know each other, set the story and characters up etc and dive in in a second session? And a couple of noob questions. I've been listening to the Adventure Zone, is it only the GM who does the dice rolls? Will there be a map everyone can look at? (I noticed pie posted something that could be useful on the previous page). How does the character creation go? Will the GM have a list of classes to choose from and you fill one in to your liking? Can there be double classes? Like I said, I don't know anything about it but it has crossed my mind a couple times for a while to try it out at some point. I mean, Blizzard is very close to B's work, the Pillars of Eternity guys are also in Irvine, there must be a scene for that here. That's 3 game companies close to each other in a super boring part of SoCal.

Writing the campaign will take me a week or two. Prep in between is minimal if i've done a good job. 

I think D&D is a lot better if you make your own character rather than pick up a pre-made, but that needs the players to go through the Player's Handbook, which is something I'd probably DM people about to make sure they're doing it right - i've had to help 6 people now and I am fairly ok at remembering it all. I like the first session to be actually playing, it's more fun to learn each other's characters by playing and talking instead of just posting a biography. Everyone does dice rolls, but who does them depends on what is being rolled. Roll20 does support maps and online rolling and a lot of other tools and I would probably be looking at using that, but I dunno how hard it is to make maps.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A typical d&d session takes about 8 hours to get past the arguing over character names and stats. Then another 2 hours for players to completely overturn any attempt at a planned story.
  • What or where should I go to pick up the basics of how this whole thing works? More of a general guide rather than a game specific one.

Enjoyed reading through some of that Twitter chat last night. Thanks, Ram.
  • P&P systems are often wildly different but Wizards of the Coast have all of the 5e core rules available for free
  • I can do weeknights post 8p.m. most of the time, barring anything that crops up in the real world. But most weeks I'm at home 3/4 nights so shouldn't be an issue.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Biweekly is a good shout aye.

As is creating your own character, get that extra attachment to your dude.

You people better be ready for a low tier gnome priest or shit I swear.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    I would be so up for this but would struggle to commit to more than 1-2 hours at a time. Also I've never played D&D before.
  • I've not played it before either side from Baldurs Gate stuff on PC but that barely counts.

It's definitely not as intimidating as it seems though!

I might be able to stream the session for people who are curious assuming whoever else in my party is okay with having their voice heard on the internet.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'm well up for you streaming it. Well up.
  • It would be a stream of me with a sheet of paper and the disembodied but charming voices of badgers before anyone gets carried away.

Oh and also there would be cat.
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    This has reminded me I needed to get a headset with mic for my pc. Purchased!
  • Been following this with interest (AD&D 2nd edition and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay were my thing back in the day), and while I couldn't commit to joining in I'd love to see how it all goes on stream.  If that doesn't work out, please someone regale us non-participants with a hopefully in-character account of the goings on.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Would these be the rules we need to look at @Tempy?

Most of the things I've read so far seems to suggest you'll have 4 different classes, with at least some magic and healing abilities. Will that be a requirement?

If everyone has chosen a class, will we tell each other them before we start and make changes if needed? Or do we dm Tempy about our ideas and he will make sure the team is balanced?

And just to be sure, all races and classes can be mixed right? I was reading the ranger class and it had examples of elves and humans (I think), but a dwarf should be able to be a ranger too, right?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Think my 2020 rulebook and supplements are still in my parents loft somewhere. Amazing memories from playing that game while I was at School/College.
  • I’m basically cool any day in the evening!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Iirc Dwarves penchant for industry and mining puts them at odds with nature but the beauty of roleplay is the space inbetween.
  • I can do most nights after 8pm and am happy to spend 3 hours a session if needed. Streaming not an issue and am happy to be guided by Tempy and other experts. I'm just grateful that Tempy has taken it upon himself to get this running so happy to fit in around other people; basically I'm pretty malleable.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    I'm just grateful that Tempy has taken it upon himself to get this running
    This of course. Forgot to add that to any of my question filled posts, but I'm of course thankful that Tempy offered to run and organize something like this!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!