curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    OMG Bayonetta in Spirit Mode is kicking my ass, I can barely touch her!

Loving the new Smash so far, I’m guessing it’s a super enhanced port of the WiiU game so they’ve had more time than usual to cram all this content in - it’s insane how much there is.

Looking forward to cracking out the Wavebirds when I take it to my nephews at Xmas :D
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    (That is if I can actually find a GameCube adapter to buy)
  • Did anyone see the metal gear solid V reference doing the rounds on Twitter and Reset Era

Spoiler:

Woof. But I also can’t see myself getting as mad as other people are. I’m probably turning into a groiner gruntilda. :-O
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gross.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So the one that has been my favourite so far has been
    Spoiler:

Where you fight
    Spoiler:
  • The jokes and things they do in spirit mode are ridiculously on point for a high frequency of instnaces.

It made me think on the one hand how it may just mean who typical the range of characters in games are, such that it is possible to cipher basically every character into a batch of 70 with tweaks to AI. And then I thought perhaps this is also about absolutely HOW MUCH SHIT IS IN THIS GAME. It’s ridiculous how many tools are available to the smash team to do this.

I’d personally like a DLC which allows you to create these spirit fights.
  • Vastik wrote:

I had to fight ‘bayonetta as Juri’ quite a few times. Turns out if bayonetta just does that slide kick constantly it’s really frustrating!! Just shield and dodge and hope to get a hit in, and also hope to get time to recharge it.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Vastik wrote:

I had to fight ‘bayonetta as Juri’ quite a few times. Turns out if bayonetta just does that slide kick constantly it’s really frustrating!! Just shield and dodge and hope to get a hit in, and also hope to get time to recharge it.
    Tweaking my spirit setup has helped but she’s still nails.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kirby and Jump then down+B is the way
  • Bayo has been one of the harder fights so far.
    I beat her with DK.
  • The boy is getting this for Christmas. Yay for kids.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Trying to beat a level against 4 Yoshis, which is dumb. It's just getting annoying now and they batter me off the screen sometimes in seconds. I still can't find any tactic or technique beyond mashing the buttons and can't understand why I'm getting slammed off the screen and defeated when I'm only at 50%.
  • This is something I'm fearful of, having not played a smash since the Wii (which I was never competent at)

x3YJgGA.png
  • This is quite good.

https://youtu.be/dV14V2Wh1O8
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Not seen if there’s any in-game tutorial or such but as fighters go, it’s a pretty simple game really.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Hmm.

Asked my lad earlier if he liked the look of it. He still has a load of cash left from his Birthday and wondered if he would like to grab it.

"Naaah. Looks really boring, you're just hitting each other".

If it's not newcomer friendly looks like it's just as well!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm sure everything will be fine and Nate will take to it like a duck to water on Christmas day.

Maybe.
  • Kow wrote:
    Trying to beat a level against 4 Yoshis, which is dumb. It's just getting annoying now and they batter me off the screen sometimes in seconds. I still can't find any tactic or technique beyond mashing the buttons and can't understand why I'm getting slammed off the screen and defeated when I'm only at 50%.

How's your dodge rolling?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't even know how to do that. I thought it was A & B attack, jump, throw and shield?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    This is something I'm fearful of, having not played a smash since the Wii (which I was never competent at) x3YJgGA.png

This seems about right. Those who know the game saying it's simple, those who don't just lost.
  • The link Gazelle posted is an intro to playing smash thing by the way. Seems pretty good and probably worth a watch if you are a newbie
  • If it's like the other ones you can hold shield and then flick the move stick in a direction to do a roll. Can be good to get behind your opponent quickly or roll away from a blast or something
  • The link Gazelle posted is an intro to playing smash thing by the way. Seems pretty good and probably worth a watch if you are a newbie

Yeah I can't straight embed YouTube vids on my phone.

Yeah I can't straight embed YouTube vids on my phone.

I'll do it!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Ta
  • I have to keep reminding myself that right stick is also ‘smash’ hit. So used to hitting a direction and holding attack. Also forget that neutral + power hit is different to forward + power hit. I played some brawl and some on 3DS\WiiU, but I mostly played on N64, and don’t think these were part of that game...?

• Right stick does something?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I have to keep reminding myself that right stick is also ‘smash’ hit. So used to hitting a direction and holding attack. Also forget that neutral + power hit is different to forward + power hit. I played some brawl and some on 3DS\WiiU, but I mostly played on N64, and don’t think these were part of that game...?

Yeah but true believers don't use the right stick.
    Plus you can't charge the attack with the right stick. Right?
  • I don't think this looks like a particularly difficult game to learn compared to any other smash, granted melee was the last one I played, sure at the top end there's a minutiae of things you need to know and be able to do, but that is not required for 90% off people playing this game to have a good time.

In comparison, Guilty Gear Xrd has the best, most beginner friendly tutorial system of any fighting game I've ever played, it breaks down all the mechanics, even movement into little baby chunks and then has you do stuff like a platforming level to practice movement, or hitting some little critters floating at various heights of the ground to teach about different kinds of attack angles, etc.

Net result? No fucker plays it anyway because they go online and get blown the fuck out by people who've been playing it for 20 years.

So I wouldn't stress too much if Smash doesn't click for you straight away, sometimes there's no way round having top put in a bit of time to get good at it. The best you can hope for is that you enjoy your time with the game whole this happens and it seems like there is plenty of variety in Ultimate to switch things up of stuff gets frustrating.

Just pay online with badgers, job done probably. Then post highlights here pls.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!