Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • Have beaten the heart with all characters up to asc4 except for mystical girl. The heart always slaughters her mercilessly. It's probably because my deck has ballooned up to a ridiculous size upping the 'luck' factor.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Was telling a friend of mine about a crazy fun Defect run I was having. For the first time I managed to put together a strength focused build. He asked me to record fight against the heart, which I did. Posting it here too, in case anyone wants to see how it can work.

If my plays appear really sub optimal it's because they are. Throughout the run I was playing much slower than this. I'd guess a quarter the speed seen here. However, I was also aware that lengthy periods of inaction with no accompanying sound while my slow brain tries to make sense of what I need to do next would be super boring for my mate to watch, so I tried to speed things up. Fortunately deck was strong enough that I could make quite a few errors and still win.

• I’ve not tried to beat the heart yet. 
    What was happening on the penultimate turn? You were attacking the heart but it was taking no damage. Was there some big the heart had?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yea it can only take 200 damage per turn, so at this point was just using energy for damage and block scaling
  • Aha. Ok. Ta.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • There is one thing and one thing only I really don't like about this game, and that is that the order you will receive relics- and probably everything else- is determined when the seed is generated, not when you choose a given path.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So it doesn't matter what path you take? The relics will come in the same order regardless?
  • Yep. Well that's how it seems.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hmm, that's disappointing. I'm not sure why it matters but it seems wrong.
  • My reasoning is how the game responds to 'cheating' at events. There are quite a few occasions where the game will offer you an unknown relic for a cost, usually a portion of life or a curse. If you don't like the trade-off, you can quit to main menu, load your save, then choose the other option instead. Thing is, the relic you turned down will keep getting offered to you at every event until you choose it. And if that doesn't occur it will appear at the next shop you enter instead.
  • I wasn't getting anywhere earlier on ascension 5. Then I started a run where I swapped relics and got the snecko eye. I never usually choose that as I thought it was a bit of a joke or one for experts, but it's turned out to be an insanely powerful build. I've sailed through the first 2 acts in no time. Even better when I later got the boss relic that randomly transformed all my base strike and block cards.

Still got act 3 to go, but it seems like an unstoppable run.
  • Cool. I never managed to use it well.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was exactly the same. Snecko Eye is insanely powerful as long as you aren’t playing a lot of 0 cards. I found it very good with Silent and Defect.
  • Snecko makes each card cost an average of 1.5 energy, so can be very powerful yes.
  • Just went back and finished it. Destroyed act 3 without needing to heal at all. The donut lads didn't stand a chance. That was with Silent.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The second you get snecko, just focus on 2+ cost cards. Easy win.

Obviously if you've been building a 0 or 1 cost deck and are loaded with them, its not worth it.

Best relic in the game alongside Dead Branch.
  • Best relic in the game alongside Dead Branch.

I'd more call them the most frequently overpowered relics. I think the 'best' has to be orange pellets or frozen eye.
  • Worst relic in the game is surely toolbox? It's probably the only one I've never taken. I can't even imagine a situation where it's useful
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've taken it in the hope of getting Apotheosis mid battle, it's worked a couple times for me, but yeah it's pretty pants.
  • Well tomorrow i shall start this for the 3rd time. Luckily I'm yet to get too deep.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Trying and failing to get Watcher to Asc8. I keep just falling short in act 3 and always seem to be missing some vital piece of my deck/relics.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Watcher feels painfully underpowered compared to the other 3. I've beaten the heart many times up to asc5 with the others except for the watcher. When her deck gets too bloated her defense always seems to suffer as the luck factor creeps up? Act3 boss and act4 sub boss are beatable but the heart always fucks her over. Perhaps I'm missing an optimal strategy, I haven't tried joining the spirit/vampire cults just yet as there was no need too.
  • My Tier list:
    1.Silent
    2.Defect
    3.IC
    4.Watcher
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My Tier list:
    1.Silent
    2.IC
    3.Watcher
    4.Defect
  • Aye, Silent really is pick of the bunch eh?
    That cumulative poison thing works every time. Get her defense and poison abilities up, get dead branch and you're unstoppable.
  • Watcher is absolutely the most overpowered character
  • Watcher is almost certainly the strongest class by a mile imho, no other character has access to such a high amount of on demand damage or mitigation. The amount of runs I needed to clear asc 20 with her compared to the other classes felt waaaaay lower.

My tier list:

Watcher
    Ironclad
    Defect
    Silent

I find Silent really inconsistent, but that's probably on me, I'm really bad at taking advantage of the draw mechanics she can use to cycle realty quickly. I find poison started getting really difficult to use well at higher difficulties because it's quite tough to either get the poison going fast enough or get enough damage mitigation going against the enemies at that point, unless you have a very well tailored deck.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • she has the strongest cards for sure. If you have the energy and inclination to go all out on probability calculations for each decision I've no doubt she'd end up with the highest win rate.
  • Yeah just the ability to stock up your hand with wrath/divinity and retained big damage cards and use them on the turn when they're most effective is nuts compared to every other class.

Edit: I think it's the mana boost that makes it so silly. Getting +2/+3 energy on the turn you also start doing double/triple damage is bonkers.

Double Edit: Makes me feel like I'm in Fist of the North Star, at least.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!