regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My next step is to get ahead of the mini two. Need to buy me a lovely og dual shock and a copy of ape escape
  • I've got a box of stuff upstairs, including at least two dual shock pads. They're probably not lovely and might not be og, but they're free and I assume they work if you want them.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd love them ty Ty ty
  • Anyone on here have a Moga Pro? Or simply hooked up a Dual Shock 3/4 to their Android phone? My Galaxy S7 coupled with a controller does really well with most emulators.
  • Shame Sony's using a shit emulator config. You're probably better off buying a Vita.
    The throwback to the Pal era is also incredibly stupid. Dreamcast kindof standardized fullscreen 60Hz for me and I've never looked back since. Neither should Sony.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I will buy it despite having pre-ordered the Analogue Mega Sg, because I am an idiot.

Nice! The Edge article last month really tickled my fancy but I'm finding it hard to justify. When is it out?

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • If theyre just releasing PAL versions of the games they may as well delay the whole thing by 8 months for the authentic 50Hz experience.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The worst thing is even the US version has the PAL versions of certain games. Also the NTSC games that are on there are botched somehow and skip frames making it an unsmooth experience.

I like the idea of these but all the consoles miniaturised so far have been emulated just as well elsewhere, legal or not.

The only one I'd bite on is an N64 one. Emulation on that is still dodgy, even on PC. Plus HDMI does that console the world of good.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If the 60Hz games are skipping frames then it sounds like a 50Hz system with butchered NTSC games.

Doesn't even sound like something people will want to hack. What s screw up.

N64 would tempt me but it would need a proper N64 controller and the right lineup (or be hackable).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    If the 60Hz games are skipping frames then it sounds like a 50Hz system with butchered NTSC games.

It's all explained here.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    N64 would tempt me but it would need a proper N64 controller and the right lineup (or be hackable).

Yeah the N64 pad is very important for certain games, 6 face buttons are a must for some games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'd love them ty Ty ty

There's only one, sorry, the other was a PS3 pad.  On the plus side, there's also a boxed copy of Virtual Kasparov if you want it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had Virtual Kasparov. I remember thinking the poly-Kasparov looked dodgy even back then. It must be a real horror now.
  • davyK wrote:
    poly-Kasparov

I can find no evidence of this being an actual thing. You sure you're not thinking of something else? The GBA version had some shocking looking portraits of your opponents.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can remember Virtual Kasparov having a training/lesson/puzzle mode which gave you feedback based on your moves from a polygonal Kasparov head.   This was the PS1 game.

It was actually quite well presented - I always had a soft spot for chess games as I always liked checking out how they were presented.  It's 3D board wasn't much cop - that gen just didn't have the resolution to carry it off - but it had a lovely crisp classic 2D mode though.
  • Yeah, when I was looking for the head I was surprised at how dodgy the 3D mode looked. Maybe I'll grab a ROM and load it on my PSP to see how horrific this head is.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    I'd love them ty Ty ty

There's only one, sorry, the other was a PS3 pad.  On the plus side, there's also a boxed copy of Virtual Kasparov if you want it.

Would love it please
  • Sony is absolute shit at software emulation solutions. The only reason why PS1 emulation on PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP/vita was any cop was because those were mostly hw based.

If they want dedicated emulators running on off the shelves arm/Intel x86 hw they should assemble a dedicated team developing and fine tuning the sw. This ps classic just doesn't cut it.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Sony is absolute shit at software emulation solutions. The only reason why PS1 emulation on PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP/vita was any cop was because those were mostly hw based. If they want dedicated emulators running on off the shelves arm/Intel x86 hw they should assemble a dedicated team developing and fine tuning the sw. This ps classic just doesn't cut it.

It's not totally their fault. They could have locked down a bunch of software libraries and dev tools and made sure that developers could only use those, but that would have massively stifled creativity and we definitely wouldn't have seen games mature on the hardware in the way that they did. Look at the difference between early and late games on each PlayStation. Whereas a lot of Nintendo stuff the best games on the console were launch titles

This approach, leaving the chips wide open to developers obviously makes it much more difficult to emulate as the developers could be doing something completely unanticipated. I wonder whether it might be a solution to actually emulate the hardware itself at the silicone level, but I've no idea how possible this is or isn't, likely isn't I'd imagine
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • From what I've read, they just picked up an open source emulator, not even a particularly great one on ARM, and dropped it in as-is. They really didn't spend any time or money on the PS Classic at all.
  • How about PSP emulation? Thats flawless from what I've played, or is there a PSone in the PSP like PS2/3?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    From what I've read, they just picked up an open source emulator, not even a particularly great one on ARM, and dropped it in as-is. They really didn't spend any time or money on the PS Classic at all.

That's definitely how it seems from the little I've seen about it. I was thinking in a wider sense as described in the above post. Just an explanation of why emulating PlayStations might be trickier than certain other consoles
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That's to do with the psp graphics chip being v similar in architecture to the original one. Made things easier.

DF Retro said so so, errr, yeah.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    Sony is absolute shit at software emulation solutions. The only reason why PS1 emulation on PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP/vita was any cop was because those were mostly hw based. If they want dedicated emulators running on off the shelves arm/Intel x86 hw they should assemble a dedicated team developing and fine tuning the sw. This ps classic just doesn't cut it.

It's not totally their fault. They could have locked down a bunch of software libraries and dev tools and made sure that developers could only use those, but that would have massively stifled creativity and we definitely wouldn't have seen games mature on the hardware in the way that they did. Look at the difference between early and late games on each PlayStation. Whereas a lot of Nintendo stuff the best games on the console were launch titles

This approach, leaving the chips wide open to developers obviously makes it much more difficult to emulate as the developers could be doing something completely unanticipated. I wonder whether it might be a solution to actually emulate the hardware itself at the silicone level, but I've no idea how possible this is or isn't, likely isn't I'd imagine

Is the above not true of all consoles? I’m not aware of ever having heard of locked tools and libraries on certain platforms.

The Bone runs in a VM which should make it emminently back-compatibleible in the future, but that’s different to locking down tools.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    From what I've read, they just picked up an open source emulator, not even a particularly great one on ARM, and dropped it in as-is. They really didn't spend any time or money on the PS Classic at all.

That's definitely how it seems from the little I've seen about it. I was thinking in a wider sense as described in the above post. Just an explanation of why emulating PlayStations might be trickier than certain other consoles

Oh, aye. I think previous consoles left the chips pretty open to devs too, but since the hardware was simpler and more focused for specific purpose they didn't have quite as much leeway to bend it out of shape.

In an ideal world, I guess these mini consoles would just have the original hardware converted directly into a cheap SOC and not need emulation at all. Can't imagine how much that'd cost though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Is the above not true of all consoles? I’m not aware of ever having heard of locked tools and libraries on certain platforms. The Bone runs in a VM which should make it emminently back-compatibleible in the future, but that’s different to locking down tools.

I imagine not. Nintendo were notorious for enforcing rigorous standards on all third party devs, that Nintendo Seal of Quality, was quite the millstone for some firms. Plus MS would distribute huge libraries with their dev kits and I believe that they discouraged third party investment into new libraries or working at the silicone level because they would then want to share those libraries with all other third parties. I've never been in the industry, but have heard these kinds of mumblings at Game City and Game City Nights when I would attend pretty regularly

SOC would be ideal, if we're now down to 7nm maybe they could squeeze a few onto a single chip, using the same chip across several of these novelty boxes, maybe in the PS5 to guarantee BC, should lower production costs due to bulk buying
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Accurate SNES emulation can tax proper modern computers so there'd be no hope for accurate PS on a little gizmo.

Re: custom SoC, while it might be impractical as a general solution, the SoC in the PS Classic is only used in one other application, so it's a bit odd they didn't reprint the Vita TV chip.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Emulation is never perfect, NES and Mega Drive seem to be the best from what I've played. N64 is a mess and Saturn still impossible? I always thought PSone was the easiest the emulate from that gen.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mega Drive audio has always let it down before, but I can’t claim to have been keeping up with the emulation scene.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!