PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Applying all of the guff above to it, MARIO MAKER IS A 10
  • The Wii one was brilliant and crucially free online and had a community that didn't really play other things.. I used to meet up with 8 or 10 regulars on a friday night for online shenanigans.. they didn't play anything else. Happy times.
    The Forum Herald™
  • There are lots of 9s that come to mind, but only a handful of tens.

Breath of the Wild is naturally the first.
    Yakuza Zero the second.

I had difficulty tossing up between a few 9s/last gen 10s here
    Spoiler:

I think the only one that quite hits the right spot is Pikmin 3.
    I haven't put nearly as much time into it, but the controls as complex as they were, just worked wonderfully with the multi-tasking demands of the levels. It was an utterly beautiful world with delightful humour (the duck heist). 

For me the quality of a ten is whether it meets the 'comfort food' feeling where you can just sit back and enjoy relaxing with it and feel like it was time well spent.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Bob wrote:
    The Wii one was brilliant and crucially free online and had a community that didn't really play other things.. I used to meet up with 8 or 10 regulars on a friday night for online shenanigans.. they didn't play anything else. Happy times.

MK8's been out for over four years in one form or another though, and the online component has only been tucked behind a paywall for a couple of months.
  • Is someone keeping count of all the 10s being handed out?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Wii u is not current gen. They don't even make them anymore, it's a dead console.
  • Is someone keeping count of all the 10s being handed out?
    I'm tracking all the correct ones....so far there aren't any! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Just out of interest, and I know this all down to interpretation anyway, are people just listing their favourite games of the generation or only the ones that really go above and beyond (best in genre, pushing new boundaries, or however you define it)?

I mean, I don't see the two things as the same necessarily. Not all my favourite games are 10s, even if I enjoy them more than others.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I like that I've started building a record of games completed and their scores - only 2017 and 2018 sadly, but it is interesting looking back.

Those suggest:

[10]s
    Hollow Knight

[9]s
    Cosmic Express
    God of War
    Celeste
    The End is Nigh
    BoxBoy! (if it counts...)

Things that could well be [10]s if I played them / finished them / thought harder: Witcher 3, BotW, MGS V
    Ones that I'm on the fence about: Bloodborne, and The Witness, Forza Horizon 3/4

Everything else y'all have mentioned: No

Rocket League is a legit contender too.

For me it's about more than just enjoyment. It's about quality, near-perfection, the belief the game could not realistically be any better. It doesn't necessarily need to be pushing boundaries within that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rocket league is incredible but not quite there due to the fact that if you're on your own you don't get the same experience. It's why I wouldn't give L4D a 10 despite thinking it's the second coming.
  • JonB wrote:
    Just out of interest, and I know this all down to interpretation anyway, are people just listing their favourite games of the generation or only the ones that really go above and beyond (best in genre, pushing new boundaries, or however you define it)?

I mean, I don't see the two things as the same necessarily. Not all my favourite games are 10s, even if I enjoy them more than others.

I've been doing my favourites, but with half an eye on whether they're worthy of an actual ten. Ori's a 10 for me, but I shaved a point off with my Edge head on. Shovel Knight should be marked down to a 9 too then, but I'm inconsistent at the best of times.
  • My assumption of this 'ten' was in reference to the old 'Edge 10', and therefore being somewhat unique/new/special rather than just really well made/fun.

Also Wii U is in no way 'this gen'! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Rocket league is incredible but not quite there due to the fact that if you're on your own you don't get the same experience. It's why I wouldn't give L4D a 10 despite thinking it's the second coming.

Surely the same is true of FH2? And any game that can be played SP and MP?

As it happens, RL is one of the few MP games I’ve ever played where I’m happy to jump on with randoms.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

Surely the same is true of FH2? And any game that can be played SP and MP?

As it happens, RL is one of the few MP games I’ve ever played where I’m happy to jump on with randoms.

So I chose fh2 specifically rather than 3 or 4 because I think it exists brilliantly on its own
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And no, not the same of all games that are sp and MP. What if the sp was amazing?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suppose it’s the phrasing ‘the same experience’. The experience will practically always be different in MP vs SP.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Correct. My current gotg splatoon 2 is inherently different due to the fact there's a campaign and an expansions campaign and then an MP. I think the former is enough to entice anyone to play it if they have love if Mario Galaxy, but the latter is where I live.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The same experience boils down to what you're doing alone Vs a planned experience with people. This has always spake Zarathustra since World of Warcraft
  • Bob wrote:
    But is it a ten? It's good but it's not as Good as MK wii.
    To be a 10 you have to, at least, be as good as any other game in the series and MK8 isn’t

Eh? What's supposedly better?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    DOIBLE DASH MOTHER FUCKER
    HONOURS KAZ AND GAV
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    FH2 is ineligible per Andy's rules, right?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bullshit
  • trippy wrote:
    Mirror Drop is the only game I've played this generation that felt totally new, fresh and mind-blowing. Quite an achievement for a puzzle game. I've been telling you all for ages and nobody seems to have tried it.
    Because it's on PC.
    Apologies, didn't realise I had the only PC on the forum. If anybody else buys one you should give Mirror Drop a shot and let me know what you think. x
    You know what I mean. People here lean much more towards console than PC.
    Aye, no worries and no animosity meant. Just thought yours was a bit of a blanket statement given I wrote about it a lot in the PC thread. Doesn't matter, it's just a shame as it is pretty amazing (and was free).

I downloaded it when it was free, based on your recommendation.  I have never played it.
  • You're worse than Hitler.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    FH2 is ineligible per Andy's rules, right?

No because the lead platform was the One. The 360 version was markedly different, had a much scaled back single player experience which was structurally different, and it was made pretty much entirely by Sumo Digital.
  • Hitler played it?

EDIT:  Whatever that game trippy recommended is called, not FH2.
  • JonB wrote:
    Just out of interest, and I know this all down to interpretation anyway, are people just listing their favourite games of the generation or only the ones that really go above and beyond (best in genre, pushing new boundaries, or however you define it)?

Depends on what rules you follow. But for me, I've long given up adhering to the old "10 is revolutionary ". I simply try to think of what plays so well that I can see myself playing it years from now. So not just favourites but favourites that you will keep going back to. I can't speak for all Mario kart games and I've had quite a few and I feel 8 represents a peak of the concept. I'll be happy to be proven wrong of course.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly wrote:
    HONOURS KAZ AND GAV

Double Dash was worse than Mario Kart 64 fucking fight me

• Kazuo wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    HONOURS KAZ AND GAV

Double Dash was worse than Mario Kart 64 fucking fight me

+1
  • Double Dash is the worst one imo, never got on with it for some reason. It has some great tracks though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!