Pregnancy
  • All these tales of nappy changing woes do not impress. We used washable nappies for our two and my god you get used to the smell and feel of human shit under your fingernails quick sharp.

We had a tumble dryer specifically for dealing with the frankly astonishing numbers of towling nappies we got through in a week. Also, if you got either the origami like folding of the nappy wrong or didn't fit the elasticated covers on the right way you'd end up with a garden sprinkler effect with fountains of shit flying out in 4 or more directions from each leg hole and up the back.

Amateurs.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Was there some reason you decided to go down that seemingly self-inflicted road of horror?
  • We know someone that used them. Kinder on the environment and much cheaper was their reasoning.
  • Scout wrote:
    We know someone that used them. Kinder on the environment and much cheaper was their reasoning.

Pretty much this. The smugness was somewhat cancelled out by the stench though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The tumbler dryer electricity bill would probably cancel out any savings on disposables. I spend a bout 15€ a month on nappies and the planet can explode before I'm spending my days washing shit-filled towels, quite frankly.
  • *chortle*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    haha, scat fetish and ocd do not good bedfellows make
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can remember when I was a kid that the terry towling nappy wash was a two stage process. I'm the eldest of 4 so can remember my sisters' nappy phase.

They had to be boiled in hot water first and then undergo a normal wash. That may have been pre-washing machine times though when a hand wash wouldn't be hot enough. Maybe because of old school detergents too..

I can certainly remember my mother getting a twin tub machine and it was a big deal...
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Heh. The old twin tub machine used to fascinate me when I was a wee kid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When it got older and was slightly fucked it would move around the kitchen when the fast spin was on - had to be held in place. Those machines weren't plumbed in - you just had a hose from the tap and another into the sink for water going out - so if you didn't make sure it didn't go roaming it would empty the water out onto the kitchen floor.
  • Ah, simpler times. We had this one...
    8-7-2006-05-03-48--chestermikeuk.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. They made amazing noise - sounded as if it were alive at times - esp. when the pump was operating - sounded like a big heart beating.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • davyK wrote:
    Heh. They made amazing noise - sounded as if it were alive at times - esp. when the pump was operating - sounded like a big heart beating.
    Yeah, I was mesmerised by it. :)
  • Ive missed shitton of posts so apologies if I missed out on some births. I did see the news on Cillian though, massive congrats! Cillian is a really nice name, one on my list actually (not hers so it wont happen :D )
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Kow wrote:
    The tumbler dryer electricity bill would probably cancel out any savings on disposables. I spend a bout 15€ a month on nappies and the planet can explode before I'm spending my days washing shit-filled towels, quite frankly.

Yeah, that's pretty much what we realised!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    so I had applied for 2 weeks pregnancy pay, and today I found out what that would mean to my pay and we literally cant afford that as I need my salary to pay mortgage. So we are lopped down to one and fuck the system.
  • Paternity pay? Or is it different in Scotland?

Statutory paternity pay is rubbish. A lot of employers will pay more. Mine pays full pay for 2 weeks. I mean, it’s only 2 weeks ffs, not months.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Wow, I thought 2 weeks full pay for paternity was statutory.
  • Nah, £151 or so a week is SPP, same as SMP. 

If we have a third, my wife will take 6 months maternity leave and then I will take maybe 4 months as shared parental leave. Give the kid the most that we can. Something like that.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    yep, it's 151 per week.
  • That's awful. Unless your already well off and have savings you can fall back on 151 a week is going to get you absolutely nowhere.

Thats so unfair for you and Flora. Absolutely fuck the system.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It works out at £30 a day or £6 odd per hour. Its just not feasible for us. Flora won't mind me saying this but for having 3 degrees, she's ridiculously underpaid, and only a few thousand over minimum wage per year, so it is pretty much a lot on me to fund things, which is fine, but that is a drop too many. Particularly when I have just been to the dentist and told I have stress fractures that should be taken care of ASAP at a cost of £220 ..... sigh.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thank god for savings.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have to be honest guys I feel exhausted today. I know I cant because flora needs help but I genuinely feel broken
  • Wait I don't understand this at all, sorry for being obtuse rather than being supportive (only hint I have: get sleep whenever you can).

As a full time employee you are absolutely entitled to full paid paternity leave, you get to choose either one week or two: https://www.gov.uk/paternity-pay-leave/leave

This is nothing to do with shared leave (a different thing) or statutory pay (which is what employers can claim back from government as a proportion of your salary). What am I missing here?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Nah, £151 or so a week is SPP, same as SMP.  If we have a third, my wife will take 6 months maternity leave and then I will take maybe 4 months as shared parental leave. Give the kid the most that we can. Something like that.

that is different. parental leave or shared parental leave (there are some variations) pay is at discretion of employer, often depending how long you've been with them - the minimum being the £151odd you get, sure, but most orgs will pay substantially more than that for at least part of the leave (usual is full pay for 6 weeks, then 80% for next 6 weeks, then it's SMP/SPL/SShP depending on choices)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    From your link Funk.
    Pay

The statutory weekly rate of Paternity Pay is £151.20, or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is lower).

Any money you get is paid in the same way as your wages, for example monthly or weekly. Tax and National Insurance will be deducted.
  • Yes that's statutory pay. Not statutory leave. From the first page:

Overview
    When you take time off because your partner’s having a baby, adopting a child or having a baby through a surrogacy arrangement you might be eligible for:

[ul][li]1 or 2 weeks’ paid Paternity Leave[/li][/ul]
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's statutory paternity leave pay. The paid paternity leave is paid at the statutory rate unless your employer has a paternity scheme (which I would have thought an education board would have had).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!