Pregnancy
  • I've never worked anywhere, ever, which doesn't pay full pay for 2 weeks paternity, and I cannot believe the Scottish Education department doesn't. Will check.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I've never worked anywhere, ever, which doesn't pay full pay for 2 weeks paternity, and I cannot believe the Scottish Education department doesn't. Will check.

Same.
  • I got 2 days of full pay. 2 days. So I took a week of paternity leave and a week of annual leave. For both our children. And this was when I was employed by JLT, not exactly a small firm. Only recently they changed to 2 weeks of full pay.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Nah, £151 or so a week is SPP, same as SMP.  If we have a third, my wife will take 6 months maternity leave and then I will take maybe 4 months as shared parental leave. Give the kid the most that we can. Something like that.
    that is different. parental leave or shared parental leave (there are some variations) pay is at discretion of employer, often depending how long you've been with them - the minimum being the £151odd you get, sure, but most orgs will pay substantially more than that for at least part of the leave (usual is full pay for 6 weeks, then 80% for next 6 weeks, then it's SMP/SPL/SShP depending on choices)

Yeah my second para wasn’t related to first para/line, bad posting by me. 

I think my wife gets full pay for 6 weeks, 80% for 6 weeks, and then something decent for another 6 weeks or more. It’s at the 6 months point or so (can’t be sure) where it turns to SMP. As she earns a heck of lot more than me, makes sense for us to switch round so that I take over.

Edit: yikes. My wife gets 6 months full pay during maternity leave. And blokes get the same. Apparently.
  • Not many resources about on this, but did find a page from the NEU citing Scottish teachers being entitled to one week at full pay and the second at statutory, dated Jan 2019;

https://neu.org.uk/advice/paternity
  • Other places (at an organisation level) repeat this one week full, one week SPP, but difficult to find anything official.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Edit: yikes. My wife gets 6 months full pay during maternity leave. And blokes get the same. Apparently.

Everywhere should be like that. I think Sweden does 390 days at 80% pay for both parents.

My wife is due in October (Halloween) and we're incredibly lucky with the leave we get. She's taking a full year with 6 months of it paid and I'm taking the maximum I can which is 26 weeks. That breaks down as 4 months full pay paternity leave, 2 weeks Parents Leave which is unpaid, then 1 week time in lieu from bank holidays, and finally 5 weeks annual leave.  

I think once I'm back I'm going to go to four day weeks and take Fridays off as well. I have enough annual leave that I should be able to get to the start of the new holiday year in July working this way.

We're also having a wee boy and I am so excited about becoming a dad and getting to meet him. I wasn't able to go into the hospital for any of the scans so missed out on finding out the sex and and hearing his little heartbeat. It was poo but I'll at least be allowed in for the birth - some hospitals here aren't even letting the partners in for the births.

I'm just ignoring that Reg is absolutely dead after two days.
  • Lovely news. Congrats, baldy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I am dead.
  • You're also in the wrong thread.
  • Stat pat leave pay is exactly that, I told my HR at the time that I’ll take 1 week holiday and 1 week paternity, then went back and said to leave the paternity off as we couldn’t afford it (my wife until recently has always made more money, and was only on stat maternity pay so we needed to save).

Luckily she said I could take the 2nd week week as paid leave, as a nice bonus. I still had to use a week of holiday but at least I got that 2nd week.

It’s complete bollocks.

Also yeah to be honest, a new baby+this heat+getting work sorted... try and sneak in a day nap if you can when, both of you. It’s a lot.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    When the baby sleeps, you sleep (if you can).
  • Great news, Frosty! Shame you missed out on some stuff already but look forward to what comes!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And congrats Frosty.
  • Congrats frosty.

Reg is your kid better at games than you yet?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Big congrats Frosty.  Exciting times to come.
  • Exciting times Frosty. :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Congrats frosty!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Congrats Frosty. Also, congrats Reg. Welcome to the land of the living dead ;)
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Also, could be worse - as a self employed person I was entitled to a kick in the balls when Harrison was born. Gotta love how things work.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    so I had applied for 2 weeks pregnancy pay, and today I found out what that would mean to my pay and we literally cant afford that as I need my salary to pay mortgage. So we are lopped down to one and fuck the system.

This is proper disgusting. I was expecting this to be an across the border thing, but the burgundy book suggests that one week full and one week statutory pay is the norm. I’m really shocked by that. Folk should get 2 weeks whatever their circumstances in my view.
  • People should get a year if they want it.

Cheers everyone :)

Here's a picture of his wee hand from the scan in June

50083139166_e71f88e4b0_h.jpg
  • Congrats Frosty mate
  • Teeny Hand! Congratulations! Our eldest was born in October (3rd, not as cool as halloween). Worked out for school and she had a bit of a head start.
  • That's awesome. Congrats frosty.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Hooray! Congrats Frosty!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I have to be honest guys I feel exhausted today. I know I cant because flora needs help but I genuinely feel broken

Your body and mind will adapt. Being exhausted becomes the norm for a few years. Thats life with kids.

@frosty, congratulations dude
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I never had this exhausted thing. Ours slept like a... baby, waking up to have food and then going back to sleep. I remember playing Divinity Original Sin at night while he was asleep, so untired was I. He even gave up the night feed completely within a few months and started sleeping right though.
  • Gotta be that spainish lifestyle and the weather
  • Kow wrote:
    I never had this exhausted thing. Ours slept like a... baby, waking up to have food and then going back to sleep. I remember playing Divinity Original Sin at night while he was asleep, so untired was I. He even gave up the night feed completely within a few months and started sleeping right though.

Super helpful advice. there you go Reg - just tell baby y u not sleep like baby

One of ours was like Kow's, the other was very difficult to settle. The one bit of schadenfreude we had was when parents who'd had a sleeper (and constantly reminded everyone theirs was a sleeper, not rudely or meanly but) had another one and invariably they were awful sleepers

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!