The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Tbf people buying a Pro or X in the past probably already had a base machine and knew what they were doing. This is obviously the start nanpocolypse.

Are we really saying that nans who managed to be there on amazon for day one for the pre order (not even the launch( fucked up the name?

I mean, yeah, Microsoft should have done better with the name (series 2x and series 2s makes more sense in my head) but the one x would not even have been a pre order.

Honestly can we not just call these people thick and get on with things. There are 4 possible skus out there in terms of
    the machine in the box. If that's too baffling how on earth do apple get away with iPhone of various numbers and sizes.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Seems odd because surely anyone rushing to preorder an X yesterday was an enthusiast.
  • It's undoubtedly poorly written bots, but it's amusing nonetheless :)

In fact that makes it more amusing.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I’ll be very amused if it turns out to be badly written bots that were meant to be scalping Series X preorders.
    That would be beautiful.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Seems odd because surely anyone rushing to preorder an X yesterday was an enthusiast.

Exactly, anyone invested enough to know that yesterday was the first day for pre orders is unlikely to get mixed up with what they were buying.
  • Once again you’re all just seeing the naming issue from our POV. There is a definite issue with confusion there. Not only is the name a fucking shambles of a mouthful but you’re presuming because everyone is preordering they’re all as invested as us and that just isn’t the case. There’ll have been loads of mums and dads yesterday who will have been searching for a series x for Christmas/birthday presents and won’t have been prepared for the demand and the lagging websites, they’ve work to do too and what’ll stand out to them, when they’re fitting this search in between zoom calls and the washing machine beeping, is just Xbox X. Fuck the ‘one’ or the ‘series’ bit, for those uninvested that’s the bit that sticks in their mind. It obviously won’t be a problem shortly as the OneX has ceased production and won’t be listed anymore, but for now that issue is there. It also doesn’t help that both images show a black box with a black controller leaning against it. This doesn’t make the people buying these by mistake ‘thick’, it just means they’re not as into little computer toys in the same way as we are.
  • TBF I often forgot what PS number we were on this gen.

But the whole series X/S shiz is bad. They shoulda just changed it all the naming convention up.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Nan-o-bots innit.

Nice!
  • Microsoft’s brand is still haunted by their cowardice in not going for Xbox 720.
  • Once again you’re all just seeing the naming issue from our POV. There is a definite issue with confusion there. Not only is the name a fucking shambles of a mouthful but you’re presuming because everyone is preordering they’re all as invested as us and that just isn’t the case. There’ll have been loads of mums and dads yesterday who will have been searching for a series x for Christmas/birthday presents and won’t have been prepared for the demand and the lagging websites, they’ve work to do too and what’ll stand out to them, when they’re fitting this search in between zoom calls and the washing machine beeping, is just Xbox X. Fuck the ‘one’ or the ‘series’ bit, for those uninvested that’s the bit that sticks in their mind. It obviously won’t be a problem shortly as the OneX has ceased production and won’t be listed anymore, but for now that issue is there. It also doesn’t help that both images show a black box with a black controller leaning against it. This doesn’t make the people buying these by mistake ‘thick’, it just means they’re not as into little computer toys in the same way as we are.

When you search Xbox Series X on Amazon, Xbox One X is the third listing returned. It's not helpful.

I have a mate who asked me where I got my PS5 pre-order from yesterday, as he genuinely thought he'd be able to sort one out now.

We are not representative of the market.
  • Numbers are far better than letters in helping people understand the order of a sequence. It’s kind of like their thing man.
  • monkey wrote:
    Microsoft’s brand is still haunted by their cowardice in not going for Xbox 720.

They could have legitimately gone with Xbox 5 on this occasion, with a small amount of creativity:

Xbox
    Xbox 360
    Xbox One/S
    Xbox One/X
    Xbox 5

There would have been a few titters at the stretch at One/S/X , but it would have put them on naming parity and the whole mess could have been put behind them quickly.
  • Then people would have cried saying it was too close to an ‘S’ and there’d have been a melt down at that.
  • Xbox V
    PSN - minkymu
  • 360 - 1 - ?

It's already a mess of a sequence. They probably should have gone with a word as a name, but I suppose that's a nightmare in different languages.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Then people would have cried saying it was too close to an ‘S’ and there’d have been a melt down at that.

They would have gone with Xbox 5s and Xbox 5x, or Xbox 5 and Xbox 5 Pro. It would have been clearer. Series is not a helpful term/distinguisher.
  • Or Xbox Series V

Much better
    PSN - minkymu
  • Xbox Series A and Xbox Series B.

Then in two years when these get replaced by the next ones (hence the 48 month contract they’ve offered)

Series C and Series D.

There’s a fair few years of console names for them to go at there.
  • We should be on 1440 by this point.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Thick people do exist, we've already had anecdotal evidence in this thread from Bob with someone walking into an Audi garage and asking about a BMW or whatever it was, or reg with the woman sending back the bottle of champagne because the bubbles hurt her tongue.

So I'm not sure what difference the naming convention makes to thick people who can't recognise that things with different names are actually different things, or how it falls on Microsoft to save these thick people from themselves when every other product in every other industry is faced with the incredibly minor problem of thick people buying the wrong thing and still manage to get by just fine.

Again, it all seems to stem from fanboy shit, concern trolling about nans etc. Nowt to worry about for anyone, really. Even the thickos will get a refund.
  • No fanboying from me, I hold no allegiance; recent gens I've gone XB to Sony and now probably back to XB.

The naming isn't the end of the world, sure, but it's a bit cack-handed.
  • Thick people do exist, we've already had anecdotal evidence in this thread from Bob with someone walking into an Audi garage and asking about a BMW or whatever it was, or reg with the woman sending back the bottle of champagne because the bubbles hurt her tongue. So I'm not sure what difference the naming convention makes to thick people who can't recognise that things with different names are actually different things, or how it falls on Microsoft to save these thick people from themselves when every other product in every other industry is faced with the incredibly minor problem of thick people buying the wrong thing and still manage to get by just fine. Again, it all seems to stem from fanboy shit, concern trolling about nans etc. Nowt to worry about for anyone, really. Even the thickos will get a refund.

It's not really fanboy stuff, when I think the majority of people having the discussion have ordered an S or an X, me included.

It falls on Microsoft as they name their products and any company should be trying to make things easier for prospective customers.

It also falls on retailers like Amazon that when you search for Xbox Series X, the One X is the third listing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought the Nan stuff was a joke. Not sure why the trolling comment? Same way people are joking about the PS5 flaps. Bantz innit.

I mean if people do want to have a melt down try buying a TV. They all have cunt names far worse than Xbox
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just for clarity I’m buying a PS5 but will get a Series X probably this time next year when my current GP runs out. No fanboyism from me tyvm.
  • Anyone that spends £450 without knowing what they’re buying is a bit of a moron, how these people deal with TV’s, apple products, laptops, PC’s, the many types of ‘Tuna Samdwich’ etc etc is beyond me. Yes it could be a little easier I suppose, but really we keep going back to it and it’s such a silly issue, I’ve worked in Game, worked in car sales, worked as a financial advisor and now I work as a famous prison officer and people be morons however simple you make it for them.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I thought the Nan stuff was a joke. Not sure why the trolling comment? Same way people are joking about the PS5 flaps. Bantz innit. I mean if people do want to have a melt down try buying a TV. They all have cunt names far worse than Xbox

The TV situation is a joke, particularly as some of the product numbers are retailer or country specific.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm saying that the naming issue has been blown out of all proportion by fanboys, and now we have that daft tweet about backwards compatibility the other day and this shite today. It's been made into a newsworthy thing, when it really isn't one.

Sure, in the opinion of some, Xbox Series S doesn't roll off the tongue quite like Sony Playstation 5 Digital Edition, but it doesn't really matter to anyone, does it?
  • It's certainly less confusing than most kingdom hearts subtitles.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • monkey wrote:
    Microsoft’s brand is still haunted by their cowardice in not going for Xbox 720.

It’s in going for 360 in the first place, 360 closed the loop.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!