The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • What is a series X game?

the 4k texture packs.
  • A miserable little pile of code.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I guess you can download the game themselves at least and then the texture packs later.
    A dream. A wish. A promise of a tomorrow filled with joy and wonder and Bethesda games that aren't half-broken at launch.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Xbox will now let you preload games you don't own. So preload something like Cyberpunk, then when the disc arrives in the post pop it in and off you go. Or if digital it'll unlock on launch day.

Fucking genius - takes away this issue of a game releasing and then having to wait for it to install before playing.

I asked for this a few pages back, fill your EHD with stuff before the SeriesX release, then just transfer over when you get it home.

But will you be able to download a Series X game onto your standard Xbox one external hardrive before launch of the console ?

Launch day will be a fucking nightmare of downloading stuff and not being able to play anything because my broadband is shite.

No idea yet, but this is certainly what I want. Make release day so much easier.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Compared to normal external SSD’s they aren’t too bad price wise. Obviously compared to HDD they are three times the price. But I get a feeling that once you start playing your improved games on SSD then load your old games on a HDD that you’ll be frustrated by the obvious difference in load times. Or at least I would.

Unbelievably, I think the mere thought of no load times etc has scuppered me before I've even had the chance to experience it. Games like Wasteland 3 and MGSV are a complete turn off when it comes to traveling to different areas or to and from the chopper between missions. There's even a delay of a few seconds when opening the map in Ori that manages to get me pining for the next gen. It's bizarre how fast you can become dissatisfied when you know something better is available.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Destiny has got to be the one for a lot of people. It’s mot even the loading levels which take an age. Just viewing your characters gear screen is just stupidly slow. Hope next gen sorts that out!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yup. Loads of small quality of life improvements that might go unnoticed next gen until you go back and wonder how we ever played games like this
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Xbox will now let you preload games you don't own. So preload something like Cyberpunk, then when the disc arrives in the post pop it in and off you go. Or if digital it'll unlock on launch day. Fucking genius - takes away this issue of a game releasing and then having to wait for it to install before playing.
    aIptCeh.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Compared to normal external SSD’s they aren’t too bad price wise. Obviously compared to HDD they are three times the price. But I get a feeling that once you start playing your improved games on SSD then load your old games on a HDD that you’ll be frustrated by the obvious difference in load times. Or at least I would.

Unbelievably, I think the mere thought of no load times etc has scuppered me before I've even had the chance to experience it. Games like Wasteland 3 and MGSV are a complete turn off when it comes to traveling to different areas or to and from the chopper between missions. There's even a delay of a few seconds when opening the map in Ori that manages to get me pining for the next gen. It's bizarre how fast you can become dissatisfied when you know something better is available.

Bad loading has killed animal crossing for me.
  • b0r1s wrote:

Bad loading has killed animal crossing for me.

Boredom killed it for me.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Football Manager 2021 coming to xbox.

Not on PS5.

November 24th.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is 2020 on gamepass on pc?
  • Football Manager 2021 coming to xbox. Not on PS5. November 24th.

I have to ask, given that brexit showed up in FM2020.... will 2021 have Covid restrictions?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I doubt it, it'll fuck the game. Prib have a random player or two catch it or summat and be out for two weeks.

You can turn Brexit off easily anyway, if they do prob be the same.
  • You can turn Brexit off easily anyway.

Oh, if only. The dream.
  • I doubt it, it'll fuck the game. Prib have a random player or two catch it or summat and be out for two weeks. You can turn Brexit off easily anyway, if they do prob be the same.

Oh, didnt know you could do that. I'm on a second play through. 

To be honest, it didnt have a huge impact on how I played so I'll leave it in. But Covid-19 on the other hand could be really funny... match day receipts in the bin, schedules all over the place, players disappearing for 2 weeks at a time...
    SFV - reddave360
  • A second wave of PS5 pre orders inbound tomorrow morning lads...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Might be worth checking at midnight just in case.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    A miserable little pile of code.

I hate you all.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • A second wave of PS5 pre orders inbound tomorrow morning lads...

I've got a ps5 full dick preorder I'm currently only holding onto incase a badger wants it.

Now I've secured an X I'm happy to let it go
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Whoa there, don't let it go. That thing will kill someone if it hits them.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    A second wave of PS5 pre orders inbound tomorrow morning lads...

I've got a ps5 full dick preorder I'm currently only holding onto incase a badger wants it.

Now I've secured an X I'm happy to let it go

I already have one @MattyJ but I know someone else who’s trying to get one. Where’s your order from and can you change the address for delivery?
  • Next gen musings alert, trying to make a decision and not really getting anywhere.  Typing this out to read it back to myself really, but if anyone can be bothered to read it and wants to chuck me some advice go for it.  

My PS4 effectively broke late last year, at least for games (it still streams Netflix/Sky but conks out quickly when games are booted up).  It started to overheat and shut down during the Resi 2 remake, then the first 90 mins of Spiderman proved too much for it and it seemed to die completely for a few days.  I eventually resuscitated it with a USB stick and the firmware the on-screen prompt suggested, which means I lost all my saves (and the Addams Family table on Pinball Arcade, nooo).  It's the main unit that gets used as a smart (non 4K) TV device in the front room, so as far as my wife's concerned it's one of the most essential things in the house.  When we thought it was done for she was basically getting her coat on for a trip to Argos to buy a PS4 to carry on with Nightflyers or whatever she was watching, but I convinced her to wait for a PS5 as buying another PS4 so close to the next gen struck me as stoopid.  Every now and then I have to bring the console back from the brink with the USB stick/firmware rollback, but it's still limping on for apps, threatening to die but never actually fulling getting there.  I bought most of my indie games on PS4 pre-Switch, so I've got a decent library of stuff on there.  I've also got a few disc games (including Spiderman and Jon's copy of Control), and a PSVR unit.  I love the VR stuff.  And, I've got enough for a console in an account I've been adding to since January.  Until a fortnight ago I assumed a launch PS5 was nailed on for me.  Chances are I was always going to get one eventually, same as Xbox, but with a partially busted PS4 it seemed like the decision was already made.  Fast forward to now, both companies have shown their launch window hands, and next to nothing has tickled my fancy.  I don't need anything shown.  I've got the 'PS5 fund' [both my wife and I were fortunate enough to have continued working throughout lockdown while saving on childcare too due to the lack of a breakfast club, plus I'm not paying for travel atm - it's added up].  We've also signed up to a 12 month covid study that's initially weekly, then after four weeks becomes monthly for a year.  We got £150 of Amazon vouchers for the first visit, which supposedly expire in 3 months.  Subsequent visits land us £25 apiece, which sounds too good to be true but isn't; the first round of Amazon vouchers are already in.  I thought it was a scam right up until it turned out it wasn't.  Even when the woman was supposedly outside our house I thought it was bollocks as she was trying to ask questions from her car.  Which I couldn't see.  Anyway: lucky us, not only are we getting regularly tested, we're also getting paid for the privilege. 

So my current solution to this windy first world non-quandary is this: pre-order an Xbox Series S, which can replace my Xbox One S upstairs (also non 4K TV).  Let wifey use the One S for TV apps in the front room and relegate the ailing PS4 to the scrap heap.  So instead of buying a PS5 and eventually buying an Xbox Series S I buy a Series S (with gamepass) and eventually buy a full dick PS5. This makes sense to me atm.  Much as I'd like to play Ratchet & Clank or mess around in Astro's Playroom it looks like God of War will be the first full fomo exclusive for me, and that might not arrive until 2022.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!