The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • They have already gone on record to say the series x will not be the last console they make
    PSN - minkymu
  • Will just be a streaming box by then.

So XboxGP1
    PSN - minkymu
  • It's almost certain to be an Android based microconsole.
  • Roujin wrote:
    At this point Nintendo are looking like fucking visionary long term geniuses by stepping out of the race when they did and making their own little space to exist in completely away from that cycle.

Yeah. Feels like Microsoft are now trying to do the same thing - but stepping out of that console hardware race because they’re in the cloud server race instead, up against Amazon and Google.

Maybe Sony are happy being the only remaining player in the ‘old’ space. Total market domination until that market disappears. They’ll probably get at least a decade out of that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Hubris seems to be the way of companies. But then again I’m sure all major decisions are driven by the CFO and how finance affects shares. Adding $10 to the price of a game or not investing half a million (or more) in better backwards compatibility are all considerations that affect the bottom line.

It’s just that right now MS seems to be the “good guys” which we know from past form isn’t the case. We could argue that they will stay pro-consumer, but I have a feeling if or when they gain market lead they become the same old shitty Microsoft.
  • I think key to MS behaviour is Phil Spencer. They need to keep him in his role at whatever cost
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    I think key to MS behaviour is Phil Spencer. They need to keep him in his role at whatever cost

MS only need to keep Phil in whilst he’s doing what his bosses agree with. On the other hand we, as fans of overly generous consumer offerings, may want Phil in charge of Xbox whatever it takes and for as long as possible but if all those buy outs and £1 for 36 months of game pass don’t start getting paid back then they’ll probably want him out at some point, surely?
  • MS have a history of just shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly when it comes to their hardware and software platforms having a long term goal, then just pivoting away at the drop of a hat, like back when they had the goal of having dekstops, laptops, tablets and phones all running the same version of windows and all having access to the same apps, they got halfway, then decided they didn't want to fund any of the 3rd party app development for the apps that would have got people into the system, so they just stopped, and with it there was no reason for anyone to be using MS for their phone or their tablet anymore since the functionality it was supposed to have was never going to arrive. 

This new approach feels a bit like that, but since they're not running it inside their own hardware ecosystem since they basically destroyed it, they might get more traction now that their stuff is going to be available across android devices.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It might look like they're giving out free AAA games left and right now but I think it will eventually transition into AAA GaaS games and cheaper AA (or just A) single-player narrative games done by smaller teams leveraging stuff like the new Unreal tech to try and do a lot with less.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Well I sold my PS4 Pro for £183 and £11 for Spiderman, bizarre voucher system though.

Happy with that price as I can also use it online.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I'm curious about the naming of "Series" in the current Xbox consoles. It suggests that it will be ongoing. Will we see incremental upgrades in the series as years go on with X being the bigger bro to S?

I do hope Sony start to pull back the curtain a little bit with how backwards compatibility will work and which titles may or may not be covered. It obviously won't be as far reaching as Xbox's fancy tech. That digital foundry video is impressive!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It'll be the same! The stuff in the video is all Xbox games game with open-ended performance modes. PS5 will have a boost mode so you'll get similar enhancements if, for example, you play FFXV in unlocked framerate mode.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'm curious about the naming of "Series" in the current Xbox consoles. It suggests that it will be ongoing. Will we see incremental upgrades in the series as years go on with X being the bigger bro to S?

I do hope Sony start to pull back the curtain a little bit with how backwards compatibility will work and which titles may or may not be covered. It obviously won't be as far reaching as Xbox's fancy tech. That digital foundry video is impressive!

I think it’ll be a new machine every two years - hence the 24 month payment plan. The series x will get superseded and drop down to where the series s currently sits (and probably in a smaller form factor), the series s will hang around for a bit, probably get supported for 2 cycles and then the updates will stop - not every game will work and so on. Kinda like the mobile system.
  • I think Shabby’s wondering whether it might always be an S and an X. (If I’ve interpreted your post right Shabs?)

Like, in two years time MS could release a 2022 S and a 2022 X, rather than introducing another layer or name.
  • I bet they nearly called it Surface X
  • But then it the other one would be called surfaces
    PSN - minkymu
  • poprock wrote:
    I think Shabby’s wondering whether it might always be an S and an X. (If I’ve interpreted your post right Shabs?)

Like, in two years time MS could release a 2022 S and a 2022 X, rather than introducing another layer or name.

Ah, makes sense. Sorry and ignore!

• So it looks like this cross gen save issue will be an ongoing issue on the PS5, here's another game that explicitly states that saves and trophies won't get carried across:

https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/maneater-evolves-with-next-gen-enhancements.2336583/
    This is not a different application/game on XBox Series S & X and saves and trophies/achievements will carry forward.
    This IS a separate application/game on PlayStation 5 and trophies, stats and saves will not transfer
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • It’s either a software thing, or a PlayStation store thing - meaning that when you download the update, it becomes a different title and the console has to treat is as such.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That is a bit shit. Trying to think of games it'll effect me in - there's bound to be something I'd be grumpy about if it is truly universal!
  • Tonight I can tell my wife I bought a Series X and get away with it because I am about to tell her I got the job I was going for and the benefits that come with it!

So yea, I'm celebrating that I won't have to hide it when it arrives
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mate that's great news!!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is that gym stuff not police any more, or what?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Meanwhile I'm starting to get FOMO. FML.
  • Well I can't say until everything is done and dusted as I've literally just got the phone call half hour ago but it's something exciting
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Well done Wook on your knew job.

You should stop hiding purchases from your wife though.
  • I only hide the ones she'll be mad about!
  • I'm delighted to hear you got the cambabe job Wookie.
  • Dante please don’t adopt gonzos horrific troll spelling.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!