The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • I'd posit that the most interesting thing about the Sony pad reveal is that they don't appear to have shown what the underside look like, cos I'm pretty sure there was meant to be all sorts of nonsense located down there this time.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Tl;Dr now is it doesn't really fucking matter, as cinty said.

Only people who will bite now mostly those who are invested in a system.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I don't really care that fuck about either pad anymore. Xbox seem to think they don't need to do anything, Sony too milquetoast to do a proper reinvent. Maybe it's my age, but the controller launch used to be a fucking thing. Nintendo and their mad bastardism aside, there's been fuck all of actual excitement since the PS2/Xbox era. It's just not anything to be worth angry about anymore because it's just being sympo to the gamers. Only thing that interests me is are those actual buttons on the PS5? If not, then we are in Steam controller territory. Orbs attached to my head next gen please.

Those are buttons. It's just the transparency makes them seem flat from above.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I'd posit that the most interesting thing about the Sony pad reveal is that they don't appear to have shown what the underside look like, cos I'm pretty sure there was meant to be all sorts of nonsense located down there this time.

Well give me that. The Wii heartbeat sensor must live.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I don't really care that fuck about either pad anymore. Xbox seem to think they don't need to do anything, Sony too milquetoast to do a proper reinvent. Maybe it's my age, but the controller launch used to be a fucking thing. Nintendo and their mad bastardism aside, there's been fuck all of actual excitement since the PS2/Xbox era. It's just not anything to be worth angry about anymore because it's just being sympo to the gamers. Only thing that interests me is are those actual buttons on the PS5? If not, then we are in Steam controller territory. Orbs attached to my head next gen please.

Those are buttons. It's just the transparency makes them seem flat from above.

The last mystery is destroyed. *Plays persona's heartbreak, heartbreak*
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I hope all you people complaining about not enough crazy controller shit bought Labo and Ring Fit!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I guess VR and the associated controllers is your next phase after these.
    I think these are about it for standard controllers now, tweaks and refinements sure but what else do you need? Back paddles maybe but that is just more buttons in different places. Perhaps someone can do a better job of the Steam controller.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I hope all you people complaining about not enough crazy controller shit bought Labo and Ring Fit!

You know Reg, right?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:

You know Reg, right?

Yeah, ere, you picked the wrong argument there sir.
  • Strongly disagree with the Sony stick placement being wrong thing, as usual. When I hold the pad and relax my hands I want the sticks to sit close to under where my thumbs are, with the DS4 they're pretty close, they hover just ahead of the sticks actually. I've noticed playing some games like Skyrim with the XB1 pad before that after a while of holding forward on the stick it gets a bit uncomfortable, whereas it's much nicer to hold the DS4's stick forward for long periods due to its position.

If the controller's body design was similarly asymmetrical it would make more sense to have offset sticks IMO. The Xbox pad design has always been a little awkward for my hands, seems to force a position more. Whereas Sony's seems to be comfortable in a relaxed fingertip style or tight grip.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I'd posit that the most interesting thing about the Sony pad reveal is that they don't appear to have shown what the underside look like, cos I'm pretty sure there was meant to be all sorts of nonsense located down there this time.

Well give me that. The Wii heartbeat sensor must live.
    I was thinking about that the other day, wasn't it called vitality sensor? I still hope they release something like that some day.
  • I think lining the left stick up with the face buttons made sense when the face buttons were used more - because that meant your hands were aligned. Nowadays, there’s a lot more focus on tiggers and bumpers, so having the sticks aligned makes more sense. More often than not, your hands are symmetrical.
  • e5vr47zlalr41.jpg
    Nicked from Reddit. Assumes the same button sizes.

The options and share buttons are something that could be better on the DS4, they are just too recessed and small to be felt with the thumbs in my experience. These look to be smaller but in a better postion, so dunno how they'll work out. L1 R1 are a little more prominent but in pretty much the same position which is nice.

The handle changes are subtle, but I think the inside lines being slightly further away from centre could have a significant affect on hand position over the controls.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've never got the stick thing. I think the Xbox pad is the best pad on the market and feels amazing, but have never been spouting shit about the PS4 one. Don't get it.

They made pads generically good dot com
  • Aye I've put hundreds of hours into both.
  • Six axis was a bit of a stinker (didn't like the bumpers), and the OG xbox (and 360) really upped the game re. analogue sticks. But yeah, PlayStation pads have generally been pretty tight.
  • Hopefully the rubber on the thumb sticks isn’t made from candy floss this time.
  • Yeah, the usual moaning about the sticks misses the fairly obvious point that if Sony changed the placement they would be alienating the huge portion of their audience who prefer the current placement.
  • I really like the grips of the PS4 controller. Really does fit me like a glove.

Years of xboxing pulls me the other way overall though.
  • The dualshock 3 would cause my hands to cramp after about half an hour. The difference between that and the 360 pad was night and day.  

The stick placement is probably less important than the shape and size of the thing. But with the dual shocks I have to angle my hands slightly away from the handles to move the sticks about, rather than the thing fitting in naturally like the 360 pad. The DS4 is chunkier and an improvement but still not optimal. 

So this "they're all the same" stuff can get in the bin. Maybe if you've got Trump hands then it's all much of a muchness. But when you're fumbling around with big masculine mitts like mine, everything is slightly too small anyway so these things all make a difference. #RealMenCanTell
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Six axis was a bit of a stinker (didn't like the bumpers), and the OG xbox (and 360) really upped the game re. analogue sticks. But yeah, PlayStation pads have generally been pretty tight.

Proper sensibleness.
    Get schwifty.
  • 360 controller with the One d-pad and triggers would be my ideal.
    The One controller falls short as I find the bumpers painful if using regualraly (Im looking at you Nier Automata, mapping the fire button to a bumper not a trigger, fucking idiots).
    Also the One controller just doesn't feel as solid. I hate that cheap, ice cream tub grade battery cover.
  • monkey wrote:
    So this "they're all the same" stuff can get in the bin. Maybe if you've got Trump hands then it's all much of a muchness. But when you're fumbling around with big masculine mitts like mine, everything is slightly too small anyway so these things all make a difference. #RealMenCanTell

I have massive lanky hands. Both pads are fine, but DS4 is a bit more comfortable.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    360 controller with the One d-pad and triggers would be my ideal. The One controller falls short as I find the bumpers painful if using regualraly (Im looking at you Nier Automata, mapping the fire button to a bumper not a trigger, fucking idiots). Also the One controller just doesn't feel as solid. I hate that cheap, ice cream tub grade battery cover.

Yeah the naff short-travel clicky and too-high bumpers are what puts me off the most with the Bonepad, I don't know if that was improved in later iterations, hopefully the new one will be more like proper buttons.
  • Nah it is the same, I've had both iterations and can't tell any difference.
    Perhaps the pro is better and hopefully the new one will be.
  • monkey wrote:

I have massive lanky hands. Both pads are fine, but DS4 is a bit more comfortable.

In all seriousness I think it’s an RSI thing. Something about the angles and the rest of it for the DS3 used to set off problems. The real culprit that caused the RSI in the first place was the Apple Magic Mouse.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moving the PS analogues now could really piss up backwards compatibility as well I suppose. I think there's the odd Sony exclusive that kinda assumes it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Moving the PS analogues now could really piss up backwards compatibility as well I suppose. I think there's the odd Sony exclusive that kinda assumes it.

In the words of Boris Johnson when he was given his Covid-19 diagnosis, "Come again?"
  • Yeah it would make no difference at all but bear in mind the d-pad the four buttons where initially equally distance apart ...the original analog pad put them equally distant. It left the d-pad and buttons where they where cos they where covering all the bases of the time

Now as the analogue sticks have become the norm the shoulder buttons and triggers have become the new face buttons so there’s really no need for the left analog stick to be where the d-pad was cos you’re never going to be using the left stick and the face buttons - it’s just not going to happen.
    The Forum Herald™
  • If you’re making that argument the more natural thing to have would be the right analog stick where the face buttons are.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!