Movie Record: 2019 Edition!!
  • prisoners lovely, tense atmosphere with a slow build. The twist felt a bit obvious but because of how it's set up I wasnt completely sure until further along. The rush to the hospital scene was brilliantly done. Really enjoyed this one 9
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    ZOMG
    SO
    MANY
    CONFLICTING
    OPINIONS
  • We all like different things. Who’d have thought?

I like that we don’t all agree on this sort of stuff. Just like the music threads.

With the John Wick films, I reckon I would have liked them if they came out when I was a teenager. These days I want my dumb action films to do more – I want them to have a sense of humour, or a reasonable thriller plot backing up the action, or at least a decent dose of charisma. I feel the John Wick movies don’t do that. They feel a bit like a blank slate that should have something else in the mix, but don’t. The gunplay is great, but everything inbetween gunfights is ‘meh’.
  • I don't remember there being much between the gunfights in Wick 1 but 2 maybe makes the same mistake as The Raid 2 made.
  • Probably, yeah.

I think The Raid is part of the problem. The Raid was so good that other action flicks look a bit shit in comparison. The bar was raised.

I’ve just never understood the love for John Wick in particular. It felt like an okay straight-to-video hitman film, but it got such love from people. I just feel there’s a gaping hole where the charisma should be. It feels blank.

BUT everyone else loves it, so that’s clearly my problem.
  • The Raid 2 is great, it's just a different type of film. A sprawling, brooding slow burn to the most incredible climax. Some of us intellectuals can actually pay attention B)
  • Wouldn't say I loved it, but I did enjoy it. I don't expect Keanu to be anything other than a charisma black hole so I guess that's the expectation I went in with.

EDIT: @pop
  • I enjoyed the first John wick but having seen polar, I think mads mikkelsen would have really aced the role.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Haven't seen Polar but while Keanu is a charisma black hole he's also pretty good at action scenes. He's been doing this stuff for years. Not sure Mads has the same ability.
  • That's true to be fair. Not sure what film it was relating to (probably one of the wicks). But there was footage of him practicing storming a room ala swat team style. It was very impressive.
    SFV - reddave360
  • true story

Odd and engaging film. It's not exceptional although the trial lands some solid blows with some clever shots. I was amazed to learn it is actually a true story 7
    SFV - reddave360
  • Mads is a trained dancer from back in the day, he could probably do decent action with a few months prep training, but Keanu’s been at it since the Matrix days and stepped it up big time for Man of Tai Chi and Wick.
    I really didn’t like Polar. Mads is always charming and watchable, but tonally it flips worse than Happy and the rest of the ensemble are nothings.
  • I'm looking forward to Bill & Ted 3.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I'm looking forward to Bill & Ted 3.

Im not sure why. Bill looks about 70.
  • I think he looks like the 80s version of him with 80s ageing makeup applied, Back to the Future style.
  • To make him look 80.
  • To make him look 80.
    Bingo.

Also I'm not looking forward to it, I am entirely indifferent to it.
  • I'd rather they just dropped a Wyld Stallyns album.
  • Not sure if Bill's mum is gonna have quite the same effect.
  • hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Probably, yeah. I think The Raid is part of the problem. The Raid was so good that other action flicks look a bit shit in comparison. The bar was raised. I’ve just never understood the love for John Wick in particular. It felt like an okay straight-to-video hitman film, but it got such love from people. I just feel there’s a gaping hole where the charisma should be. It feels blank. BUT everyone else loves it, so that’s clearly my problem.

Keanu??

edit: I'm so so late
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I know, I know. It’s the obvious answer. I think Keanu’s charismatic enough though, as an action star. Wick just feels so by the numbers.
  • T2 Trainspotting
    Really surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It was never going to live up to the first but as a study in potential lost its not bad. It sagged a bit in the middle but recovered by the end to wrap things up well enough 8
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message

I enjoyed T2 when I watched it, it takes a very special level of fan service to annoy me, they're fans, they're the reason (almost) any sequel gets made so serve them. It need View Askew levels of internal ball licking before I get annoyed about a few nods to the past
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Office Christmas Party
    Chaotic, Jason Bateman led comedy. Some laughs but not a cracker. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I take it not many have seen Endgame yet. I’m off to see it at 2pm! Woot woot!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I’m going to see it Tuesday evening. Means I’ll be the last person in my class to have seen it. Avoiding spoilers will be a real challenge. I told the group yesterday that if anyone even tries to discuss it in my earshot I will throw them through a wall.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Avengers:Endgame
    A fairly satisfying close to the long-running story. Not as fun as Infinity War.

(Careful with spoilers in this thread, folks.)
  • 3. Captain Marvel.

Absolutely brilliant. Brie Larson, who I've only ever seen in Scott Pilgrim is absolutely incredible. Sam Jackson is really good, and rather funny. I barely noticed the de-aging tech. A much more personal, character focused movie than most MCU films. I look forward to seeing more.

4. Avengers: Endgame.

I'll not say much, because spoilers. But they did it, they really, really did it. I don't think I could be happier.
  • Jurassic Park: Lost World
    Better than it gets credit for but still poor. Goldblum always fantastic.
    [6]

Jurassic Park III.
    Who wants to be here less Alan Grant or Sam Neill? Shit
    [4]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!