Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    fk u i have four days off over christmas

When you hear the call you've got to get it underway?

Larry.gif
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Bob are you aware you've become not just your own dad but everyone else's dad? If young Bob could be here now surely he'd be aghast.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    sure seems like good candy to me
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Have to do some public speaking tomorrow... Any advice?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Project confidence. Verging on cocky.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What's the context? Powerpoint n shit?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Project confidence. Verging on cocky.

That's pretty good advice actually, just be me
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    What's the context? Powerpoint n shit?

Pretty much. A basic description of what I do (I should be up there for 20 seconds)...

Dont get a boner

Colleague said imagine everyone naked.

Some of the girls at my workplace...
  • Best advice I ever had about public speaking is think about how you start and how you will end. The middle will take care of itself.

Finish strong.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Cheers Tingle... I'll keep that in mind.
    Want to aim at keeping it humorous from the start, and end that way... The audience isn't all that technical. 

We'll see...

The good (or possible bad...) sign is that I'm not feeling nervous yet.

Was probably more on edge about attending the Christmas party...
  • FDR’s three tips were, “Be sincere, be brief, be seated.”

(Also, don’t use the ‘tricks’ people suggest of looking above people’s heads or at a point at the back of the room. To each individual audience member, it doesn’t look like you’re looking at other audience members, it looks like you’re looking over their heads or at a point at the back of the room. Don’t be afraid to look them in the eye. You know, like normal people do when they’re talking to each other.)
  • My top tip: make sure you know what you’re talking about, then talk about it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Don't have a wank during the presentation.
  • Apparently I'm quite good at doing these things although I'm not naturally a public speaker. What probably helps is that whenever I do it it's 99% of the time to the company I work for doing a show-and-tell so mostly friends I can riff off.

I always find a bit of affable bumbling works to a degree - if you aren't totally prepared or confident it's fine to say something like, 'christ I wish I'd prepared a bit more for this!' as long as it comes across as good humour and not actually because you haven't prepared. If anything goes wrong just roll with it and laugh at yourself, don't stress or panic. People will warm to you.

Works for me anyway although as mentioned this is when in front of colleagues / friends you know quite well. Good luck, am sure you'll smash it mate!
  • Just bought a Raspberry Pie starter kit to make a retropie.
    Have a steam link to set up as well once I get some powerline adaptors.

Once that stuff is doen I think I am going to retire my Xbox One to the back of the wardrobe. Meaning I wont have a current gen console setup for the first time pretty much ever (disregarding the brief period between new console launches and me picking one up).

I just dont feel like I get much out of modern gaming anymore.
  • Just bought a Raspberry Pie starter kit to make a retropie. Have a steam link to set up as well once I get some powerline adaptors. Once that stuff is doen I think I am going to retire my Xbox One to the back of the wardrobe. Meaning I wont have a current gen console setup for the first time pretty much ever (disregarding the brief period between new console launches and me picking one up). I just dont feel like I get much out of modern gaming anymore.

My PS4 is almost exclusively an expensive iPlayer / Netflix machine. Saddens me a little.
  • That is how it has gone with my Xbox One.
    Im struggling to think of anything I played on it that wouldn't be covered by my Steam Link, even then it is a handful of titles.
  • Let's all just enjoy a vintage Blumming:

• I smashed it at my wedding, btw. Trust in tiger.
  • LaHad a piece of card on it with a list of everyone I needed to thank . Would have been murdered had I forgotten anyone so couldn't risk that. And I had thought of something to say for most people I was thanking.

So not really winging it.
    The best man's speech was fully prepared and a fucking car crash. I'm tempted to post a clip of it. Absolutely the most awkward few moments I've ever seen (for him, not me)  though he seems to think it was ok. It wasn't, guys. It wasn't.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thinking back I think we winged the complete wedding and party. Main reason we're married is because of the visa, so there's that.

B just basically said we were gonna marry July 18th (was the first available Monday, Monday mornings are free), his mom wasn't pleased as she was on holiday. We weren't planning anything special.
    My brother was my witness, poor guy wasn't used to getting up that early, took the bus in the wrong direction, lost his wallet, had to arrange a taxi and convince the chauffeur someone would pay upon arrival. He made it just in time.
    Upon entering someone pointed out my very stylish purple converse were covered in grass (we stayed at some Mongolian tent the night before, was all very hippy).
    My mom had made our rings in record time, they're very basic titanium rings.
    Had some coffee with the people that came (my mom, brother, B his brothers + wife, his aunt (also photographer) + partner and a friend of hers. My brother was the only one who thought of some presents, B his brother (the other witness) decided to arrange a boat for the afternoon, so the people that wanted to join joined for that. Weather was good, had a good time, can't remember any speeches at all.
    I think my brother was actually wearing his swim shorts as regular shorts the whole day, so he was the only one that could get into to water.

Party was almost a month later, B his mom insisted and arranged most of it, so that was nice.
  • A basic description of what I do (I should be up there for 20 seconds)...
    Wait, you have to speak for 20 seconds? As long as you don't forget your name I don't think there's much to worry about.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement, peeps... Definitely need the reassurance.

Obviously, I was being flippant about the 20seconds thing, but at least I think I won't have to field questions when I'm done.

The duration is a bit of a godsend, but also a bit frustrating to prepare for, as I wonder if I'll be seen as skimming if I avoid tech stuff, or if I'll been seen as an arse if I went into details.

Given that I'd only had since Friday to prepare, I'm pretty sure that anything more than one slide is good going...

Will be an experience nonetheless. :]
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also, Lewis Hamilton missing out on a Sports personality award?

This country...

Smh.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Shit in a kettle on the stage
  • It's just driving round, in the best car....

...Although really it's a reflection of how little people care about the sport these days. It used to be required viewing as a lad. Now with the way the sport has gone it's hard to follow and harder to care.
  • Would also need a personality tbh. Shitting in a kettle would have won my vote.

And possibly not being outed as a multi millionaire tax avoider in the lead up to the event would have helped with the general public.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!