The No Subject Thread
  • If you're lucky, she'll be into swinging.
  • Mate, stick on headphones and play stuff as loud as you want. Other people’s loud music is annoying at any time of day on any day of the week. Doing it the night after someone had to bang on your window is a dick move, regardless of the day of the week.

I would differ from the others, I think a note would be better. Going to a door can seem intimidating, even if it’s not intended.
  • Apparently there had been a lot of posts since my page last refreshed, I’m a bit behind the curve, sorry.
  • Andy wrote:
    Mate, stick on headphones and play stuff as loud as you want. Other people’s loud music is annoying at any time of day on any day of the week. Doing it the night after someone had to bang on your window is a dick move, regardless of the day of the week. I would differ from the others, I think a note would be better. Going to a door can seem intimidating, even if it’s not intended.

I mean, I'll have a reasonable level of volume in future, but I don't want to feel like I have to walk on egg shells in my own home. I went the headphones route last night, will do so again if it gets late.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The only thing I dislike about city life is having to always consider the people who share walls/floors/ceilings with you.
  • I don't think it would seem intimidating if you are really apologetic and offer your number to call on should it ever happen again. A note can easily be misinterpreted.
  • Nick, there’s a massive amount of room between being anti-social, and walking on eggshells in your own home. It’s occupied by the majority of the population, and there’s plenty room for everyone.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The only thing I dislike about city life is having to always consider the people who share walls/floors/ceilings with you.

On the other hand, I was purposefully walking around loudly last night because I was getting pissed off with being the only person that ever puts the fucking bins out despite putting far less in than any other flat.
  • I don't think it would seem intimidating if you are really apologetic and offer your number to call on should it ever happen again. A note can easily be misinterpreted.

No offence to Nick but, given his current stance on this, I think he’ll struggle to not come across as intimidating, regardless of how nice he’s being.
  • I'm about as intimidating as The Dude.

My stance is that I had it too loud for a weekday night, but there should be some flex on Friday / Saturday. I don't think that's unreasonable but wasn't planning on saying as such / confronting over the issue.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's no flexibility for weekends, nor for time of day for that matter. An odd bit of overindulgence can be overlooked but simply saying it's ok to be loud as long as you let people sleep just isn't on.
  • People have kids, people work nights, people work differing hours. It's easier to just not play loud music late.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's not reasonable to play music loud at any time of the day. Go and get a cottage in the country if that's what you want to do.
  • Nick, how intimidating you think you are has nothing to do with how intimidating you appear to the person who has you on their doorstep. I know that you’re not planning to voice your stance, but the fact that it is your stance will bleed into how you appear to the other party.

To be honest, while I think a letter is a better idea, I’d also leave it a couple of days before sending it.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    If you can do home improvements, mow the lawn, use a pressure washer etc till 11pm you can play music Nick.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow wrote:
    It's not reasonable to play music loud at any time of the day. Go and get a cottage in the country if that's what you want to do.
    Headphones are cheaper than a cottage in the country. Unless it's a shit cottage and they're skert's headphones, naturally.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Yeah, for me being loud at any time is a big no, I'm often asleep at 10pm on varying days and sometimes in the afternoon.

I'd be wondering why you couldn't regulate your own noise if you gave me your number to tell you when it's too loud.
  • Just to point out: the majority of people value their time at the weekend more than their time during the week.
  • Well I'm happy to have my views challenged and it seems like I'm in the minority. Will keep that in mind for sure.

Should note again, never had any complaints this last year, although perhaps last night was a breaking-point situation.

I don't agree with the notion that playing loud (subjectively) music during the daytime is no-no though. As long as it's not playing at antisocial levels of volume, what's the problem? And if you have a problem, just mention it. Playing some soul music at 1pm on a sunny afternoon should be a pleasure.

I'm not really coming off well in this, it seems.
  • One of the problems is that it's very difficult to communicate what level of volume is being talked about.
  • I guess my ultimate position is that I'm keen to keep the peace and live in harmony, but I don't want to live in a world where I can't pump some funk/soul on occasion at a volume slightly higher than you would if just sat in a chair listening.
  • AJ wrote:
    One of the problems is that it's very difficult to communicate what level of volume is being talked about.

True, my guitar amp has 10 notches, and I rarely have it beyond the 2nd, but the difference between 2.5 and 2.8 is staggering.
  • I know right, missed opportunity.
  • If you can do home improvements, mow the lawn, use a pressure washer etc till 11pm you can play music Nick.
    I really, really hope this is sarcasm.

nick_md wrote:
    I don't agree with the notion that playing loud (subjectively) music during the daytime is no-no though. As long as it's not playing at antisocial levels of volume, what's the problem? And if you have a problem, just mention it. Playing some soul music at 1pm on a sunny afternoon should be a pleasure.
    I don’t know what you think the difference between loud and anti-socially loud is, but current evidence suggests it’s much narrower than you think it is. Trust me, literally nobody other than you wants to hear your music regardless of the time of day, but particularly at night. If they wanted to be listening to soul music on a sunny afternoon, they would be. Maybe they are, but they’re not doing it in such a self-centred way.
  • If listening to music I enjoy, during the daytime, in my own home, at a level which you can dance to (without thumping the walls) is self-centred, then sure, I'm self centred, I guess.

Christ.

Also, I don't mind hearing someone playing music I like. So, literally, you may be wrong on that one.

I'm going to buy her an actual apology card and will post that, not worth the aggravation. I did post her a 'hello' card when I moved in actually, with some chocolates, to say 'hi there, I'm your new neighbour'. Never heard anything back.
  • Christ anyone would think you took a shit through her letterbox.

You didn't realise how loud/late it was, got the nod to turn it down, did so.
    Live and learn.

Some people here would lose their marbles living where I do.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    If you can do home improvements, mow the lawn, use a pressure washer etc till 11pm you can play music Nick.
    I really, really hope this is sarcasm.

It really, really isn’t.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think you’re doing fine Nick. Apologising and offering a phone number seems like a good way to deal with it. And, for what it’s worth, I also agree that there’s nothing wrong with some loud music from time to time, just not after 11 unless you’ve given your neighbours some advance warning.
  • nick_md wrote:
    If listening to music I enjoy, during the daytime, in my own home, at a level which you can dance to (without thumping the walls) is self-centred, then sure, I'm self centred, I guess.
    The difficulty is that you seemed to be presenting it as though you are listening it to a volume that is disturbing others. Which is self-centred. You’re argument is about being ‘in your own home’. Remember, your neighbours are in their own homes too.

nick_md wrote:
    Also, I don't mind hearing someone playing music I like. So, literally, you may be wrong on that one.
    I’m so happy for you, I could shit. Way to miss the point.

Live, the problem is that noisy neighbour issues have a massive impact on people’s general well-being, happiness, and general mental health. In all my years on the Police, amongst the most miserable I have seen are those with inconsiderate neighbours. Now, it’s possible that this isn’t one of those situations, but so far it looks and sounds a lot like one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!