The No Subject Thread
  • Andy wrote:
    If you can do home improvements, mow the lawn, use a pressure washer etc till 11pm you can play music Nick.
    I really, really hope this is sarcasm.
    It really, really isn’t.

Then you need to get a grip.

Noisy home improvements generally become antisocial much earlier in the day, because of the nature of the noise.

Mowing the lawn and pressure washers are a different type of noise, and tend not to last as long, but would also be considered anti-social much earlier in the day than 11pm.

There is specific legislation in relation to music. It might be worth noting that, despite prevailing misconceptions, there is no specified time of day. (Edit: In Scotland, anyway. I’m not sure about you uncivilised lot down south.)
  • We don't have police down here anymore.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've a petrol mower that runs close to my neighbour's bedroom window, so I never use it past 9:30. It's basic manners. The view that Fridays and Saturdays are loud nights is a pubs-and-clubs thing, not a home situation.

I've speakers with 4" woofers despite having an outside wall between me and my one neighbour (our bungalows are joined like a tetromino twoer), and I daren't really go for 5s or 6s. If I lived in a detached, absolutely. 8s, even.

I lived next to a nightmare family for the best part of two years and their noise was hellish. Their terror kids banged doors and ran around screaming almost every morning, and the dad was a DIY arsehole at all hours. He never did a job in one go, preferring to spread it over instalments through laziness and/or incompetence. Thin walls are the worst.

I'm also very careful because I'd never get another home if my council evicted me. I've a form in one of my kitchen drawers about how to complain about antisocial behaviour, and we've all numbers for it. There was a time when my garden was a bit wild and a couple of locals mentioned it to me, which I was grateful for because they could've gone straight to management.
  • Andy wrote:
    Way to miss the point.

I thought the point of 'Trust me, literally nobody other than you wants to hear your music regardless of the time of day' was to be a dick head. Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick there, chief.

I mean Jesus fucking christ, I play some music loud one night in all the time I've lived there, have one complaint (that was overly aggressive imo), feel bad about it, make plans to apologise, now I'm some fucking prick noisey neighbour. Suck a bag of dicks.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Andy, my grip is on reality ta very much. We're talking a bit of occasional music FFS.

From what Nick has written, how she's ignored his neighbourly gift and banging on the windows she sounds delightful.

Anyway, no good will come of this debate I'm off to enjoy Friday night, starting with three hours of tap dancing.

Edited.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • All this makes me super glad I live where I do. Nobody ever complains about anything, probably because everyone knows nobody would pay any attention. Sure it’s annoying when I occasionally get kept up at night, but I also get to repay the favour from time to time
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I'm about as intimidating as The Dude.

My stance is that I had it too loud for a weekday night, but there should be some flex on Friday / Saturday. I don't think that's unreasonable but wasn't planning on saying as such / confronting over the issue.

Having to put up with someone else's noise in your own home is incredibly intrusive. Just imagine, it's Friday night after a long week at work and all you want to is sit down and relax with a book and a glass of wine, then, from next door all you can hear is a muffled thump of bass from some shit music (your music may well not be shit, but if it's not exactly what someone wants to hear in their house, it is to them). That will make anyone angry.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Oh, two page turns.
  • Yeah but, Friday night innit.

Any road, I shall cease playing music who've minimal volume and will send an apology card, that won't get acknowledged.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nobody objects to a bit of noise sometimes, everyone has the right to have a life. But there's this dumb idea that if it's only until 10/11/whatever o clock then you're allowed to have it up loud. As long as you let people sleep then it doesn't matter that your music intrudes on their lives.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    My new neighbours upstairs think it's ok to clomp around in high heels laughing and shouting and dropping crap on the floor until 4 in the morning during the week. They may have to meet my drum machine and amp during Sunday morning hangovers.
  • Nick seems to be responding in a reasonable manner, it's the fact that he's struggling to understand why there's an issue in the first place that's a little baffling.  We're not talking about daytime, or even prior to this apparently fictional 23:00 cutoff.  We're talking about it being so late he's time-traveled into the next day.  Surely it's obvious to anyone other than students or the unhinged that this isn't the time for music loud enough to be heard in an adjacent property.

Also, I'm going to jet-wash Hair's car at 23:00 to see how he likes it.  Then mow it.

EDIT:  Thread is moving fast.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    J0IAB5V.jpg
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I have a view on this lads!

Living in a block of flats, we have noisy neighbours. Hell we probably make some noise too. Its the way of flat life. There's a younger couple living on the top floor, and most Fridays they have mates round, do ome karaoke, play some music, nip out front for a smoke, all finish up around 4/5am. I've never once complained cos I just think "fair fucks you're young and enjoying life have it". Sometimes they may do it on a weekday too, give a fuck. If it became 5/6 nights a week I'd complain. Let 'em have a bit of fun ffs.

I find the whole "think of others" about such things a bit lol because invariably the person who complains is only thinking about their own household so fucked if I'm gonna care about it. People gotta have fun sometimes and let lose. I doubt 90% who complain about it would come knocking if it was bothering every other household but they couldn't hear it. I ain't gonna care about others when their complaints are all about themselves. Sometimes life ain't perfect, if they're playing music you bang the headphones in.

Sadly I lost my music system to an arse accident and as such can't counter-level others with mid-90s Amen breaks.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Tell her if she does that shit again, you'll cut her fucking ears off.
    Plan B.

Make her listen to Ill Manors at a reasonable volume.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Easy to say all that when I much prefer music via headphones these days so I can turn it up to 150% volume in VLC and pretend I'm mcing along while not hearing my own voice. Sectioned by 40, neighbours already giving me funny looks.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    My neighbours either side are both virtually deaf, we should swap houses nick. Or maybe they're your ex neighbours ahahahahahaaaa
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bet he was listening to some of the j-pop shit from beatmania the utter weapon
  • J0IAB5V.jpg

You're very well endowed.  Or quite aroused.

• I find the whole "think of others" about such things a bit lol because invariably the person who complains is only thinking about their own household so fucked if I'm gonna care about it. People gotta have fun sometimes and let lose. I doubt 90% who complain about it would come knocking if it was bothering every other household but they couldn't hear it. I ain't gonna care about others when their complaints are all about themselves. Sometimes life ain't perfect, if they're playing music you bang the headphones in.

I'm not fussed myself but if music is loud and keeping cub awake then that's shitty and I will phone the police and tell them you're dealing smack.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Well yes with kids its no doubt different but as a handsome, charming, desirable young bachelor, give a fuck.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also sing along to it and your kid will learn to love it!

50p a tip lads
  • Just to point out, the 11pm cutoff time is indeed a real thing, but presumably not in Scotland.

Noise at night: warning notices
    Councils can investigate complaints of statutory nuisance to tackle noise produced at any time of day or night.

They may also issue warning notices in response to complaints about noise above permitted levels from 11pm to 7am. These warning notices can be used by councils for noise that’s not a statutory nuisance.

The warning notice must tell the recipient:

that the noise is coming from the premises between 11pm and 7am
    that the noise exceeds, or may exceed permitted levels as measured from within the complainant’s dwelling
    that the noise must be reduced to below the permitted level in a specified period (this must be at least 10 minutes after the notice is served and must end by 7am)
    what time the notice is issued

Permitted noise levels
    The permitted noise level using A-weighted decibels (the unit environmental noise is usually measured in) is:

34 dBA (decibels adjusted) if the underlying level of noise is no more than 24 dBA
    10 dBA above the underlying level of noise if this is more than 24 dBA
    tl:dr, you can be done for noise complaints at any time of day, but between 11PM and 7AM there is a specified volume you cannot go above.
  • Just ask me normally to turn it down and I happily will, whilst feeling bad that I've upset you. Don't damn near break my windows with your fist.

Ds, it was the pfunk ya berk.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I lost my music system to an arse accident.

Whut?
  • I find the whole "think of others" about such things a bit lol because invariably the person who complains is only thinking about their own household so fucked if I'm gonna care about it.
    I hate to sound like a bleeding-heart lefty-liberal, but with this kind of attitude, we’re all fucked.

I doubt 90% who complain about it would come knocking if it was bothering every other household but they couldn't hear it.
    I don’t think you’ve thought that one through.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I lost my music system to an arse accident.
    Whut?

Now that you mention it, whut is a valid response.  Initially I barely noticed it or thought to question it, subconsciously filing it away as 'a DS thing'.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Just ask me normally to turn it down and I happily will, whilst feeling bad that I've upset you. Don't damn near break my windows with your fist.

Your music was loud, perhaps they tried quieter but you didn't respond. 

Playing loud music (as said before) is a dick move. Folks may have babies in bed, work shifts, work 9-5 hours and are stressed beyond belief and desperately need that sleep etc. Also, loads of people don't work M-F, so the concept of the Friday night sesh is moot. Anyway, this has all been said before. 

I had a neighbour 20 years of so back that decided to play Believe by Cher on repeat on the day of it's release on CD single, at full blast, with all her windows open. Totally different scenario, but she had no appreciation for other people's concerns. By the end of the day she'd had her stereo taken away from her and 3 death threats. 2 from la-di-da Surrey mums. 

The apology avenue seems totally apt and will show her that you're the fine chap we all know you to be. 

I think our differing perspectives on this come down to our current situations. I live in a residential area with a real sense of community, so anything out of the norm is cleared with neighbours in advance ("we're having an 18th birthday party, it will be loud, stick your cars on the drive etc. Feel free to come along'. Tigro has a little cub so would also be aghast at this etc. As a bachelor of some distinction, you're doing what quite a few of us would do. Negatively impacting someone's homelife is more damaging than you can imagine for some people, although the fact she didn't thank you for your generous gesture reflects very badly on her.
  • I was sat literally (real literally, not Andy literally) next to the front door and door bell, there was no attempt. The music wasn't that loud that I couldn't hear.

I'm not an arsehole, far from it. They made no attempt to politely call me up on the transgression.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!