Playstation 5 - It's For The Payers
  • Not day one cos money. Although I have a little pot I put £1/£2 coins and occasional notes. Might have enough for day one by the time comes!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I haven’t done day one for ages so really looking forward to it.

I’m day one, but I can’t quite muster the excitement yet because...well...we don’t know what games we can pick up on launch day. Price doesn’t bother me, I know it’s gonna be steep, I just wanna know what the day one game lineup is.
    Get schwifty.
  • This is it. I'm likely day 1 but it does feel like there hasn't been enough confirmed for release to get actually hyped about yet.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Absolutely, but its just setting up, seeing the UI, getting something like Spider-Man going (which I’d be amazed doesn’t launch with it). At worst I play the Astro Bot game. There is no killer app for the next gen like we used to have, but I don’t recall one last gen.
  • Like you day, even just having a new UI adds to the excitement. That is one of the strange evolutions of the XBox, as it's just going to be a tweaked version of what we have now... but faster.

Still, I'm very excited! Can't wait to see what wonderful games we get over the next few years on these machines.
  • Ah, the UI. I still have such fond memories of the 360. I loved the blades and all the sound effects. Setting up everything. Gamertag etc. And the sound of an achievement popping. Was such a great console.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Reg never finished that greatest console list I get why because a few turned it into a shit show.
    360 would have won for me and seemed to be going that way for the thread as well.

Such a great console. Hardware issues aside it was an excellent experience. Best online gaming, all time classic games across multiple genres, the return of old school games and gametypes through the online store.
    It was more a follow up to the PS2 than even the PS3.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ah, the UI. I still have such fond memories of the 360. I loved the blades and all the sound effects. Setting up everything. Gamertag etc. And the sound of an achievement popping. Was such a great console.

I still load up Hexic HD every now and then. Loved how no matter how bored you'd get with the 360 in the early days, you'd still have a sublime puzzler (I think that Alexi Russian dude that was involved with Tetris had a hand in it)
  • He designed the original game IIRC.
  • Aye, that's it! Memory is a bit hazy. What a game. What a man tbh.
  • Bob wrote:
    Your going to end up with one eventually and more than likely before any redesign or price reduction why not day one ? Unless
    Your buying bone x even x-er than the last bone x gran edition and you can play all
    The game on x bone x not gran edition

No games, beta test version bugs aren't worth paying premium for.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I disagree with this idea that a day one console represents value.

I paid a ton less than launch for my Bone and it came with a game. Maybe a 18 months on from launch.
    Switch I got from CEX a year on saving me about 70 quid. Even with bullying them into making the best version of all their stock.

My 360 I bought second hand off a bloke that had been bought it by his ex with all the launch games. I got that for about £50 less than the console would have cost without games.
    He couldn't stand to look at it because it reminded him of her.

The Gamecube tumbled in price. PS2 and Xbox also had cuts.

N64 and PS1 had several cuts. The N64 quite early iirc.

I learnt this from papa Div from when his story's of building the best HIFi on his RAF camp in the late 70s.
    At the end of the month there will always be someone who over extended and is willing to flog their shit on.
  • ...and yet...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Some cunt on here will be telling us the PS5 is the best thing ever, defending spending £700 + a 4k TV to coop Ratchet and Clank.
  • I apologise in advance.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Some cunt on here will be telling us the PS5 is the best thing ever, defending spending £700 + a 4k TV to coop Ratchet and Clank.

Ratchet and clank has coop? Fucking sold, day 1

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Can I get one on day one just because I want to? Or does that make me a cunt?
  • You can do what you want but day 1 consoles is a mugs game.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    You can do what you want but day 1 consoles is a mugs game.

Nah. It completely depends on your finances obviously but even the series x will have the lure of all those Gamepass games looking better and smoother than ever. I'm rarely a day one person but I can see the appeal in it. It might be complete consumerism to enjoy getting the new shiny as new as possible but we are talking about video games. It's pretty much built on consumerism.

Does it represent value? Well that's up to the person buying it. Yes, they pay more but they would have it for longer. I like to wait for a price drop myself but that's because I don't usually play games enough to Warrent it. But I have dropped fairly large money on my last 3 laptops over 5 years and part of that has been just to have as much top tech as I could push my budget to. Getting a new day one console is no different and at least this time it looks like the series x and the ps5 represent a decent leap forward.
    SFV - reddave360
  • If you have spent top dollar on 3 laptops in 5 years I think you might need to reassess what the fuck you are doing.

I spent 2k on a laptop about 3 years ago. It will match and beat Xbox One x. Cant do Rtx because that wasn't a thing then. I would sooner upgrade that or my tower if raw specs was the focus.
  • There are two benefits for buying day one for me

1) new excitement. It’s a rare thing and fun to be part of and you can keep up with excitement on a piecemeal basis.

2) you know that you’ll be at least a year away from buying something that will be superseded.

I think it’s easy to be over rational about this but I think it’s weird to do so for something that is inherently irrational.
  • Is it just me, or is there a lot more bitterness around lately? Not just here but in a lot of places.
    Watching some of that Jim video above made me think of it too. Obviously the Marvel game has issues that should be discussed but I don't see how having it presented so bitterly does any good. I think it just helps perpetuate the negative culture that is growing around modern media.
    Break everything down, judge and belittle other people for what they like, look at the negatives of something before even considering the positives, calling someone a cunt or a mug for spending within their means to get something they want and are excited about.

There's discussion to be had about this kind of thing but what good does it do to judge someone for doing what they want to do?
    You have your reasons for your choices and I have mine. Does that make me a mug? Someone who is being conned or an idiot?

Why not say: hey, it's not my choice but I'm excited to hear what you think about it.
  • @Crayon
    1) Speak to Gonz aboit camwhores.

2) Speak to anyone with a PC.
  • When people are struggling to survive dont be suprised when there is a backlash against people willfully pissing money up the wall because they have fallen for marketing hype.

If you think £500 is throw away you are the other.
  • Why should people face a backlash?

No one deserves that for buying a console.

• You but it in day 1 to fill the empty void in your soul
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • So if I'm lucky enough to have a stable, well paying job in the current climate that allows me to support charities and my local businesses and buy things I want and don't need that also makes me a cunt?

What am I supposed to do then? Stop living until everyone is doing okay? I don't understand the logic. Is it more that you think by buying a big ticket item I'm flaunting my financial security and belittling those that are struggling? I can kind of see the argument there but there's no real solution to it apart from not telling anyone that I want to buy it
  • It is exactly that "why wouldn't i?" Attitude across multiple threads.
    Its not me I could rustle up £500 if I wanted to. It is that "buy it day 1 because you will only pay the same later" thing that rubs.

Many people won't be able to afford it now. Even if the price stayed the same they may be in a different place in 2 or 3 years time.

There seems to be an assumption that in the middle of the worst economic global state since 1920s America people can say fuck it, it wont drop in price.

I dont care if anyone buys a console but I dislike this idea that we all "may as well buy now".

Have a bit of thought for the situation most will be in and if you can't maybe consider how secure your situation is.
  • seriously if you think you havent been affected financially by covid you are wrong.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    If you have spent top dollar on 3 laptops in 5 years I think you might need to reassess what the fuck you are doing.

I spent 2k on a laptop about 3 years ago. It will match and beat Xbox One x. Cant do Rtx because that wasn't a thing then. I would sooner upgrade that or my tower if raw specs .

Maybe you should not judge people on a small line in a post liv? I bought 3 laptops but I also sold 2 out of the 3. All three were bought through work which saved me a bit as well, and the up shot is, I probably spent the same net as you.

LivDiv wrote:
    seriously if you think you havent been affected financially by covid you are wrong.

Sorry but for me this has come out of left field a bit. I thought we were discussing the merits of buying a console day one and not spending money in the middle of covid 19.

I get your point on that but I didn't think that's really what was being discussed and to be fair spending any money on videogames or consoles in a crisis looks a bit silly so I'm not really sure where you are going with it. If the console was 200 quid on launch would that be OK, even if some of the economy is tanking? What's the sweet spot to make it OK to get a console at all, launch day or not.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!