Playstation 5 - It's For The Payers
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Have Sony deepened their pockets? Game changer if so.
    No, Dave, their pockets are the exact same size, but they now have haptic feedback so when you pop you hands in them they definitly feel very very deep.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • My mrs fanny must have haptic feedback?
    PSN - minkymu
  • The best, man. The best
  • I don't mean your missus specifically
  • But probably eh
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    They'll hopefully get wireless with some cool workaround but I can't see them streaming quite like Virtual Desktop - I tried it on the Quest and it was impressive they'd managed to do so much but there was noticable delay and that's coming from an old guy who now needs reading glasses. 

It's fine for a VR veteran but it'd make too many people sick. If they're targeting 90 fps + and a decent fov I can't see how they'll manage it but you never know. The wireless rumours don't seem to be going away so maybers.

I say the following not to promote the Quest but to assure it's possible on a next gen console.

They've improved 'Virtual Desktop' to the point it's indistinguishable from using a cable connection. Bumping up the resolution via Side-quest, playing Half Life:Alyx this week was so much more fun untethered. You do need an ethernet cable from the PC to a 5GHz WiFi router, but it's smooth as butter, no bullshit.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Have you tried an Index? I don't think Sony will be aiming for Quest-like fidelity in VR. I'm not knocking the Quest, it's great, but if Sony VR is aiming for that level I'm out.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    No, I believe you that it's worth the best part of a grand. Carmack said they got 90hz out of the Quest, so there's hope for the future. I'd buy a wireless PSVR at that refresh rate.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Look, the only reason I hate Facebook is because they're a total bunch of cunts. The VR side is largely irrelevant. The main thing is not too give them any money.

I hope this clarifies things a little. Yes the Quest is a bargain.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Bloomberg reported that the bill of materials for the PS5 is $450. Sony is manufacturing 10 million consoles by March 2021. They’ve also forecast a small loss on hardware for the next financial quarter.

All of the above suggests that we are not going to see prices above £500.
  • And don’t forget m$ deep pockets
    The Forum Herald™
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Bloomberg reported that the bill of materials for the PS5 is $450. Sony is manufacturing 10 million consoles by March 2021. They’ve also forecast a small loss on hardware for the next financial quarter. All of the above suggests that we are not going to see prices above £500.

How much of a cut does the retailer take on a console?  Surely they've got to take in more than $50 per console?

Anyhow, still think we'll be seeing all the next gen consoles coming in well under the 500 mark.  I simplyu can't see them selling many of them if they hit the shelves at £/$500  

Straw pole of my friends (mix of folks with top dollar jobs and standard income) resulted in only myself and one other who would jump in with a starting price of £500.  Even £400 was pushing it for the majority of them.
  • How much of a cut does the retailer take on a console?  Surely they've got to take in more than $50 per console?

Ahahahahahahaha
  • Electronics hardware margins are generally down to almost nothing now. 5% for a console, absolute maximum. TVs are 1-2%. (Figures ‘sourced’ from a sketchily remembered article I read years ago). Game revenues are all over the place. You might make a decent margin in the first few days but sell hardly any and then have to cut the price below the price they were bought at. Or you sell loads but it’s at cost. The whole thing relies on getting people through the doors and making £20 off them for a couple of leads or some tat.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Well colour me surprised!

What's the point in shops selling them then if they're not making a healthy profit on them?
  • "Would you like GameCare with that?"
  • Well colour me surprised!

What's the point in shops selling them then if they're not making a healthy profit on them?
    The bundles and accessories I suppose
    The Forum Herald™
  • Warranties and care plans as well. That is why most places push all that shit so heavily.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Feel a bit guilty as I’ve never bought any of that extra stuff!
  • I should imagine regular folk keep places ticking over then a whale comes in and provides the major profit. The type of person who takes the top end TV, audio setup and all the cables at the same time.
  • There are plenty of marks that pay £80 for a HDMI cable in Currys.
  • Hdmi gold series lol at currys
    PSN - minkymu
  • *cross posted from the next-gen thread.
    g.man wrote:
    So Sony have announced another clever hype-tastic programme for the PS5 launch. The PS5 is initially going to be available in an incredibly limited amount, so they've announced a lottery of sorts for official pre-orders. To have a chance of pre-ordering a PS5 from Sony, you have to enter your Playstation ID details on this here page.  Let the games begin!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    *cross posted from the next gen thread.
    I had seen it being put across as a system to stop the scalpers from buying up all the early stock, which I'm all for to be honest

;-)
  • I signed up using every one of our commited xboners' psn tag. Verecocha I entered 17 times
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Seeing the dimension stuff in gameplay that you control makes more sense and has that Zelda 2 worlds feel to it. I can see DF doing an analysis on this soon.

• g.man wrote:
    *cross posted from the next-gen thread.
    g.man wrote:
    So Sony have announced another clever hype-tastic programme for the PS5 launch. The PS5 is initially going to be available in an incredibly limited amount, so they've announced a lottery of sorts for official pre-orders. To have a chance of pre-ordering a PS5 from Sony, you have to enter your Playstation ID details on this here page.  Let the games begin!

Fuck that! Make enough of them or fuck off out of it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bob has only bought one game confirmed
  • Reports are that manufacturing on PS5 is going full bore, despite COVID. They’ll likely have double the allotment at launch than they did for PS4.

This is just an early thing to avoid scalpers. There will be PS5s in store and online before launch.
  • There were rumours of cuts in April, but then they apparently scaled up.

We’ll see what the truth actually is sooner rather than later, I’d imagine:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/krisholt/2020/07/15/ps5-launch-production-10-million-units-reports/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!