Playstation 5 - It's For The Payers
  • Aye. Fuck paying seventy bills for a new game in these times.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    For the convenience of only needing one machine to play your disc media and money saved on used bargains, £90 difference doesn't seem madness.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Absolutely.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah the discless PS5 seems to be the somewhat limbo I predicted.

If you have that kind of cash to drop you can likely stretch to the disc version and save long term. Especially as launch games seem lacklustre. The discless ps5 isn't the budget entry FIFA/Gamepass box the Series S is.

It will sell and no doubt it won't bother Sony either way, just adjust manufacturing to suit but it seems adrift as a concept.
  • I wonder if the reason the disc is ungainly Is that they’ve designed the choice to be a last minute thing. They can then easily choose the model based on numbers and the only manufacturing difference is the disc and flap at the end.
  • I think so.
    The discless seems to be more obvious and yeah it looks like it would be an easy switch in manufacturing.
    It looks like trim options on cars.
  • For the full effect they should have made the disc less the same as disc but put a piece of plastic over the hole.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Would probably go discless, can see myself bringing the thing back to Europe once the US is a bit more on fire and we need to flee the crazy, so having as few physical stuff as possible will work better.

All the games we have on disc here are the ones my mom send over, were the games B got when he still was at GG. Have only bought one second hand game here on disc (FFXV) and everything else has been digital. There are sales, you don't need to go full price.
  • Things I would like to know before launch:

How quiet is it? My OG PS4 is ridiculous now.

How will PS4 BC work and will digital purchases cross over? I’ve just bought Tony Hawks digital, I want that to work day 1.

How much space are these next gen titles taking up? I’m looking at you COD!

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Preorders are live on Very.
    Get schwifty.
  • I think I'd rather give up on AAA gaming than go diskless. £69.99 for Demons Souls is madness, I've never understood why so many people are wiling to swallow these prices for the sake of....not having to change a disk? Not having to go to Sainsbury's? Not having to potentially wait an extra day if the postman is late?

I'm going to go full tantrum backseat lifecoach badger and declare that everyone who doesn't agree with my opinon is subhuman.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Preorders are live on Very.

Thanks - managed to get one dickless for me and my bestie!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think I'd rather give up on AAA gaming than go diskless. £69.99 for Demons Souls is madness, I've never understood why so many people are wiling to swallow these prices for the sake of....not having to change a disk? Not having to go to Sainsbury's? Not having to potentially wait an extra day if the postman is late?

I'm going to go full tantrum backseat lifecoach badger and declare that everyone who doesn't agree with my opinon is subhuman.

Do we know what disc Souls will be? I'm kinda guessing they won't (particularly initially) want it way less cos people will see through their ruse? And ofc it begs the question of why it isn't cheaper given lower costs / no retailer overhead... surely that's going to come under proper scrutiny at some point? Much though if love it to be £30 or £40 I just don't see that happening...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah the discless PS5 seems to be the somewhat limbo I predicted. If you have that kind of cash to drop you can likely stretch to the disc version and save long term. Especially as launch games seem lacklustre. The discless ps5 isn't the budget entry FIFA/Gamepass box the Series S is. It will sell and no doubt it won't bother Sony either way, just adjust manufacturing to suit but it seems adrift as a concept.
    I'm the same. 
    At these prices you are in luxury item territory. An extra £90 is not that big a deal, again, in these circumstances. But being tied into one expensive shop for all games will hurt you more in the long-term.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Or you just don’t buy everything just because it’s cheap. I mean that won’t apply to Moot obviously ;-)

But I’m conscious I buy far more games than I’ll ever play and I jump from game to game.

I think some of those prices are too high but I’ll not be buying that many at launch (wait for sales) and will also grab Cd Keys store credit where possible.

Yes the individual games will be more expensive, but I’ll find I’ll play each one more.

And I hate going to Sainsbury’s.
  • Ps5 discless is the most pointless console since the Wii mini. It's not cheaper by enough to justify the 20% hike in software prices. XSS has a superior game pass offer and software seems to be consistently priced with the current gen.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I'm going to have to disagree here; long gone are the days where you could walk in to Sainsbury's and pick up the latest COD for £25 quid.

If you have to get at launch day, the best you usually can do is £5 cheaper than the PSN/Live price.  The last of us 2 is a good example.  I bought PSN bucks from cdkeys and managed to get it £7 cheaper than I could have got the disk.

Same goes with Tony Hawk - £33.99 from CDKeys (xBox).  It can be had for £33.99 from ShopTo, so no real saving there.

Sure, there is bound to be some times where you can pick up a game cheaper in person, just like there'll be times when there's a sale on in Live/PSN.

The only benefit I can see with physical (unless you're a collector - been there done that and had my fill!) is being able to trade in.  I've not traded any games since Grainger Games went up the swanny, so no idea what value they hold now.

Anyhow, each to their own I suppose.
  • Yeah but Sony and digital ownership is like China and free speech.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    All sensible points. I do worry that they'll defend their prices more carefully start of the next gen than end of the last, but we'll see. Flexibility to trade/swap is definitely a factor for me, and increased surety I'll be able to play stuff in 20 years time should I choose to...
  • Not being locked into a purchase is the real benefit for me. I bought Tony Hawks for £32.99 (I think) from Shopto, and I've already pre-sold it to hodge for £25. I've 'finished it' now too, as much as I fancy anyway, so I've rented a top game for £8 and hodge gets a cheap new release two weeks late. Pretty sure that would've been £50 or somehing for each of us on the Xbox dash.

I'm not really preaching or saying 'follow my methods!', but that's what works for me. I haven't traded since the PS2 gen, but selling, lending or gifting appeals.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I just see this gen as the last one to use physical media.  I go digital now and I don’t lose my games when moving to whatever’s next (assuming games are forward compatible).  Also, I never trade in my games.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Easy to throw stones at discless PS5 but I imagine we're in a bit of a bubble where we're all part of an increasingly small proportion of gamers that haven't gone digital. Increasingly a majority of people just don't care.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Easy to throw stones at discless PS5 but I imagine we're in a bit of a bubble where we're all part of an increasingly small proportion of gamers that haven't gone digital. Increasingly a majority of people just don't care.

Ok but if you buy a game on disc you can resell it if you don't like it. With prices jumping 25% people could conceivably stop wasting money on future games, or take less risks on unknown quantities at high MSRP.

Gamepass admittedly alleviates this somewhat. Nothing on ps5 does yet.

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think paying £££ for digital is nuts but absolutely huge swathes of gamers just don't seem to care. Maybe a £70 RRP will make some slightly wary but I don't think it's going to put a huge proportion of people off.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • During lockdown, lots of people have been paying £16 to rent a film digitally. That’s likely to continue even after cinemas reopen. If you do the ‘how many hours of entertainment’ calculation against that …
  • https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/ps5-pre-order-info-thread-subscribe-3544651

Some more preorder slots due to open up at 9am, if your that desperate to get the console on or after release day.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Disc version up on Amazon.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    During lockdown, lots of people have been paying £16 to rent a film digitally. That’s likely to continue even after cinemas reopen. If you do the ‘how many hours of entertainment’ calculation against that …

I’m basing my game decisions on some of that.

I feel the Miles game is way overpriced at £51, but Demons Souls less so knowing the amount of time you can spend on Souls games (especially as I’m crap). I guess people will vote with their wallets and we’ll see what sells well when the sales kick in.
  • Do you have a direct link?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!