Avengers End Game **SPOILERS DISCUSSION**
  • At the end of Infinity War, Thanos clicks his fingers, turns half of everyone to dust, and fucks off to his allotment. At the start of Endgame, the Avengers arrive at his allotment, chop off his hand, then his head. Dead.

Later in Endgame, in the past, past-Thanos, who is yet to get all of the stones, finds out from the network link between past-Nebula and now-Nebula, that the Avengers are trying to undo what he is yet to do. So past-Thanos crashes into now-Avengers’ party, and blows up their base. That results in the epic final battle which ends in Stark clicking Thanos into dusty oblivion.

So, you’ve gone to all this effort to maintain a timeline, then done exactly what you said you wouldn’t do, by killing the bad guy before he’s done any of the stuff he’s going to do. There’s no point returning the stones to the precise points in the timeline, because you’ve just turned the guy to dust before he’s going to get them.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sorry I'm with you now. Fucking comics eh.
  • Andy wrote:
    At the end of Infinity War, Thanos clicks his fingers, turns half of everyone to dust, and fucks off to his allotment. At the start of Endgame, the Avengers arrive at his allotment, chop off his hand, then his head. Dead.

Later in Endgame, in the past, past-Thanos, who is yet to get all of the stones, finds out from the network link between past-Nebula and now-Nebula, that the Avengers are trying to undo what he is yet to do. So past-Thanos crashes into now-Avengers’ party, and blows up their base. That results in the epic final battle which ends in Stark clicking Thanos into dusty oblivion.

So, you’ve gone to all this effort to maintain a timeline, then done exactly what you said you wouldn’t do, by killing the bad guy before he’s done any of the stuff he’s going to do. There’s no point returning the stones to the precise points in the timeline, because you’ve just turned the guy to dust before he’s going to get them.

As the mystic bald chick explained to banner, the stones had to go back as when they were removed they created alternate timelines we didn't see on screen.
  • Does this movie have white men wearing fancy pants and saving the world?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    As the mystic bald chick explained to banner, the stones had to go back as when they were removed they created alternate timelines we didn't see on screen.

Yes, I get why it was necessary to avoid those, but they’ve just caused the mother of all paradoxes that fucks up the timeline leading up to each moment they’re supposed to return the stones to. It’s like crashing your car into someone’s front room, then making a fuss about getting the ornaments back in exactly the right place.
  • I think the way they’re arguing it is...

Thanos beams into the future post the stones being stolen - hence when the stones are replaced all the other timelines will revert back to the way they were except... Thanos et al in the future don’t because they’re now part of the new timeline even though they can no longer be there, because, erm, magic. (And, yeah, what Steve does doesn’t work unless Peggy’s husband was actually Steve all along and somehow no-one noticed despite her being on 24/7 surveillance by Shield. Steve should have swapped his soul for Black Widow at the end, but hey...)

I’m intrigued to see whether future Marvel movies deal with the enormous repercussions of dropping half the population out of existence for 5 years then swiftly bringing them back again, but I suspect they’ll ignore it.
  • Loved it, had very high expectations and it pretty much met them. What an awesome film.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Tin_robot, we should find out about the ramifications of 5 years in June as the spidey movie takes place straight after end of endgame.
  • My take it changing the past doesn't affect the present because as mentioned when you change the past the current future is now your past so and changes don't have any affect.
    A cheap way to cover time paradoxes and I have never seen it done that way before and covered the fact that going back and stopping thanos before the click won't fix anything.

The point about 5 years going by and everyone who didn't get dusted still being the same age as the dusted dudes is a good one though.They will probably ignore that one too.

I don't mind as it was a great film and would prefer plotholes to a more accurate but less interesting film.
    You rang.....
  • Lurch666 wrote:
    My take it changing the past doesn't affect the present because as mentioned when you change the past the current future is now your past so and changes don't have any affect.
    A cheap way to cover time paradoxes and I have never seen it done that way before and covered the fact that going back and stopping thanos before the click won't fix anything.

What they ultimately did was stopping Thanos before the click, though. Where’s Bruce’s explanation now?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But they didn't did they, or at least only for half the population

edit: what I mean is they didn;t simply erase all the consequences of his actions, which would have been the lazy superpower god powered dick move. 50% of the population still experienced what happened, unless I've missed something, and they got five years older than all their peers. Not an issue for most adults but half of Peter Parker's school mates will be finishing Uni now
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Had the Avengers’ plan gone to, er, plan, then what they did was restore everyone who died five years later. They would then put all the stones back, and the events of the last twenty-whatever films would have played out exactly as we watched them.

However, the plan went awry, and Thanos from the past (before he had any of the stones) jumped into the present. They responded by turning him and his army to dust. Now, how are the events of the last twenty-whatever films going to play out, because Thanos doesn’t exist there any more.
  • Bruce Banner’s explanation doesn’t actually solve anything, it just badly explains why paradoxes are paradoxes.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    He still exists in everything he did prior to that????
    If the finger click removed them from past, present, and future then no-one would have been upset by the loss of 50% as they'd not have missed anyone as they never existed. That Thanos from the past didn;t seem very much prior to his original finger snap, in fact didn't he live about 45 seconds past the original finger snap
    All that said I do need to watch again as I'm sure I missed some important stuff
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yes, the past of the Thanos who turns to dust still exist, but that Thanos hasn’t started collecting the Infinity Stones yet.

Put it this way, if I turn you to dust when you are 25, how do I chop your head off when you’re 50? You never get to be 50. None of the things you did between 25 and 50 can happen, because you died when you were 25.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But there are 139,999,999 other mes that didn't die at that time
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Infinity Stones needed to go back because the other reality would have been buggered by the events of the Doctor Strange movie if the Time Stone had not been present, etc. It doesn't matter that much if the other reality wasn't 100% restored to normal. In fact if the next story arc hinges on bad stuff happening because of a lack of Infinity Stones in the normal universe then the alt universe will have been done a favour by having the destruction of theirs averted.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • cockbeard wrote:
    But there are 139,999,999 other mes that didn't die at that time

Not in this timeline there aren’t.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Right I'm with you, you are thinking of a bunch of nearly parallel lines and our heroes jumping between them. As opposed to a character centric line, and from what I saw there were no paradoxes (I'm sure there's some if I look properly) so I'm not sure where the issue might be. Thanos A is killed in the shed, Thanos B is met and killed at another time. Before or after are meaningless here, because it depends on perspective. From the character's point of view young Thanos was killed after old Thanos
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Right I'm with you, you are thinking of a bunch of nearly parallel lines and our heroes jumping between them. As opposed to a character centric line...

No, I’m not. You’re the one talking about alternate timelines. Yes, from the characters’ point of view, younger Thanos dies after older Thanos, but as soon as younger Thanos dies, everything he does after that (which is pretty much everything that’s happened in all of the films we’ve just watched) can no longer have happened.
  • Andy wrote:
    Had the Avengers’ plan gone to, er, plan, then what they did was restore everyone who died five years later. They would then put all the stones back, and the events of the last twenty-whatever films would have played out exactly as we watched them. However, the plan went awry, and Thanos from the past (before he had any of the stones) jumped into the present. They responded by turning him and his army to dust. Now, how are the events of the last twenty-whatever films going to play out, because Thanos doesn’t exist there any more.
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Doesn't fuck up our time. Fucks up the alternate universe's although arguably for the better.
  • THIS FUCKED UP LOGIC ALWAYS HAPPENS IN MOVIES BASED ON TIME TRAVEL. 

I've never come across a single movie with time travel safe theme that you couldn't say 'but what if....?'.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think the thing that makes it even more complicated is that on top of fairly convoluted time travel mechanics you've got a magical gauntlet that essentially let's people non-vocally make wishes... in a movie. It's hard to know what Tony's snap does. It seems like it just killed Thanos' army but it could have restored them in the other timeline or something, we have no way of knowing.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I couldn't Believe Stark to be disciplined enough to make that decision (even after how many films of growth), I fully expected a bunch of strippers and fast cars to show up when he clicked his fingers
  • pantyfire wrote:
    THIS FUCKED UP LOGIC ALWAYS HAPPENS IN MOVIES BASED ON TIME TRAVEL.  I've never come across a single movie with time travel safe theme that you couldn't say 'but what if....?'.

Predestination does alright. Primer does alright. Er … I think that’s it.
  • My babblings:

Mostly enjoyable, decent film. Infinity War was better. 

And fuck time travel and timelines, cos it doesn’t work.

Stark hugging Peter. Best moment.

And... I. Am. Iron Man. BOOM!!! Great stuff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Does this movie have white men wearing fancy pants and saving the world?
    You are smarter than this.
  • I was so excited that we would somehow have Loki back when he picked up the tessesract and warped away. But he’s still dead, oh well.
  • Yes. The space stone was replaced, I’m guessing before any of the stealing shit happened, so he never gets to warp away. So his neck still gets snapped by oh shit wait but past Thanos dies in future so maybe he doesn’t kill Loki and oh fuck I hate this shit

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!