Avengers End Game **SPOILERS DISCUSSION**
  • My overall feelings
    Spoiler:
  • Also: excited by the concepts of a super diverse avengers team - woman Thor etc.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It will be interesting to see how far they go with the diversity thing as they seemed to move away from that diverse Avengers thing they were doing in the comics. But then obviously in film Black Panther did amazingly and Captain Marvel seems to have performed well partly because of the female protagonist so maybe the film audience has turned out to be more receptive.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I think from a pure economics point of view there’s definitely a thread about having a model of a hero representing specific demographics does attract that demo.

There’s plenty of slots to go around so I’m sure they’ll try and attract a variety of audiences.
  • In toy shop today, and Caleb (6) is looking at some Avengers stuff. Turns to a family next to him and says "Yeah, these are from Endgame. Tony Stark dies." and then walks off. Could have killed him.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I wonder if they'll pick the most successful from the comics and leave the rest. Seem to remember the diverse Iron Man (lady?) not taking off. Perhaps they'll do a mix of successful ones like black Captain America, Miles from Spider-man etc. and do the first instance versions of some they haven't done yet for the rest.

They've confirmed an Asian superhero for Phase 4, I forget the name, a previously unadapted one.
  • Andy wrote:
    My issues with explanations such as “that’s a different Loki,” are that a) it just always sounds like an excuse to get around the inherent problems with time travel, and b) I’m pretty sure they were going out of their way to say that that’s not happening here. The one time branching timelines are explicitly spoken about, it’s immediately followed by the explanation of the workaround.

Ok, couple of things and then I am out of this debate. 

a) when we are talking about time travel, we are discussing a made up thing. At least for now. So its a plot device just like any film. And that's a point that End Game makes - every other film according to the logic here is wrong. They have a scene where they list off loads of films and basically say no, they're wrong. There are 3 major points the movie makes in this regard. First is the scene I have just described. Second is the discussion on killing Baby Thanos - they cant effect their own universe by changing history in this way. The third is Tonys Daughter. He expressly wont do anything that might jeopardize her existence. If they can change history with their actions, he would be out. 

b) the branching timelines - again, try to think of them as universes and it actually works out as the movie intends. Each interference the guys make is creating a new universe where a new future will happen. Banner didn't realise this until The Ancient One showed him that the taking of the stones wouldn't impact on his time line (the orange one) but it would create a new one which would become that Ancient Ones timeline (the black one) and if there is no time stone she knows Strange cant stop Dormamu.

In effect there is the following universes according to just me and despite some theories, I'm not one of the Russos so this could all be bollocks

A) 2019 - Main Universe

B) 2014 - in this universe, Thanos left to go to the 2019 universe, so the infinity
    war wont happen here.

Also within this universe the Soul Stone and is taken by Hawkeye and the Power Stone by War Machine so if Thanos stays he cant complete the Gauntlet in this timeline. If this Thanos wants to succeed he has to jump to 2019

C) 2012 - The New York Universe. In this Universe Loki takes the Space Stone so that would still be in play here but Banner takes the time stone and Ant Man gets the Mind Stone so again, no Gauntlet can be created in this universe now.

D) 1970 - This is where they get the Space Stone so that again means no Gauntlet in this universe.

E) 2013 - This is the universe Thor goes to with Rocket to get the Mind Stone. 

If Cap does go back to each exact spot he then can set these universes back on course with the exception of 2012 because he cant fix that eras Space Stone - Loki has it now. He can return the time stone though so at least Strange can save the world. Regardless, he jumps to a sixth universe where he can be with Peggy (I'm guessing its around 1943) before coming back to his original universe in 2019. 

This does raise the question of whether he has to kill himself or just live as a separate Steve Rogers in that universe. That universe could be quite different to the Main one and its possible that in that universe, Steve would meet Falcon as a much older Cap and train him. This means he would know that in 2019 he could safety pass the shield over.

As I said, I could be just making this work and that the writers don't have this as how things are. If the Cap we see at the end is the Cap who lived his whole life in the past and simply knew where to show up then it does mess the whole thing up as the past then could be changed and things should have been very different.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think the expectation was that returning the space stone to 1970 would erase the subsequent 2012 Loki timeline. (I cant think of any good reason why it would, based on the films own logic, but that’s the impression I got, given they made great play of ensuring no lasting changes to any timeline.) Again, all of this would have been dead easy to fix just by having either Hulk or Tony return all the stones with their snap, which is what they seemed to initially say was the plan, but I guess the writers ditched all that to let Steve have his moment...
  • Saw it, enjoyed it.

Gf's 9yo son said it's the worst avengers film of the lot.

Kids eh?
  • Just watched it with kids. They said it was good. Didn’t seem 3 hours to them. Well, we did leave as soon as credits started anyway. 

So much noise throughout film from kids, nachos munchers, people going look as early as 10 minutes in! And not bothering to be discreet! But it was so quiet when Stark died. Could hear a pin drop. 

Hate this local Cineworld. Full of riff raff. Gonna make sure always go to Odeon Luxe a bit further and pay extra for great seats and stuff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • We do know Falcon became Captain America in the comics right?
    Does he get any kind of human+ type powers or abilities in the comics? Because a guy with a rock hard shield isn't really going to cut it. 
    Even Hawkeye and Black Widow have some ability even if it isnt superhooman.

Edit
    According to Wikipedia he knows judo.
    And has a telepathic link with his pet bird.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I wonder if they'll pick the most successful from the comics and leave the rest. Seem to remember the diverse Iron Man (lady?) not taking off. Perhaps they'll do a mix of successful ones like black Captain America, Miles from Spider-man etc. and do the first instance versions of some they haven't done yet for the rest.

They've confirmed an Asian superhero for Phase 4, I forget the name, a previously unadapted one.

I wonder whether this was conquering Everest for the superhero franchise and it will go down hill from here? What storyline can you replace the infinity gauntlet with over a course of a dozen + movies? Do you even try?

The original avengers core line up: thor, iron-man, cap america and hulk replaced by a new core lineup: spiderman, captain marvel, hulk, antman, black panther and black cap america? These guys good enough to carry a franchise?
  • Sorry, Dave, I’m not buying any of that.
  • I am glad half of the final film in this 10 year long project was a heist film, the best kind of film
  • Andy wrote:
    Sorry, Dave, I’m not buying any of that.

Nae bother. It's only how I see it so I could have it completely wrong. But it works for me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The story behind this (whole movie franchise) will be a movie in itself one day. Early 2000's comic book sales are flat, superhero movies on the big screen are a non starter (batman and superman from DC comics the exception). Marvel have sold the rights to spiderman, x-men and fantastic four to other companies as a way of staying afloat. Marvel as a company are struggling to keep their heads above water. They pitch an idea for a multi movie franchise that starts with a minor superhero, iron-man. Who? The movie studios probably ask themselves.

Iron-man 1 is released. There's a post end of credits cutscene (never done in movies before?!?) that alludes to a bigger storyline. 11 years later and 21 movies later the last movie in the story arc breaks $1billion on its opening weekend. The rest is history.
  • It is exceptional really, and I know the quality varies a bit, but I have enjoyed many of them. In fact, the first Iron Man was a big inspiration in learning motion graphics which is now a heavy part of my career. 

Definitely not the first for post end credits cutscenes though... I remember Pirates of the Caribbean (one of them at least) doing it.
  • I thought this video was amazing. I wonder how many of yous realise what's going on with MCU

https://youtu.be/exheGjFGNko
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Five pages. Five pages and no mention of BannerHulk being the star of the movie. Or if there was I couldn’t find it through the pedantic four and a half pages talking about the inaccuracies of time travel and the multiverse.

Watched it enjoyed all of it. Had the right mix of wrap up dialogue, action, funnies (thanks Bruce) and emotion. Only bad point was waiting for the end of credits scene to find sweet FA.
  • It’s weird to think that there’s a version of the film where the Hulk “signing off” at the end of the film is Edward Norton. I can’t imagine Edward Norton quite hitting the right mix of friendly grown up that ruffalo does.
  • I watched the film with some friends and one of them couldn’t shake the whole time travel paradox thing but I was tearing my hair out at this criticism. To me the whole thing was about keeping the plates spinning for a finale of a 20+ film series and affording closure to each of the leaving characters. I thought it was magnificent that they created a film with warmth and heart in amongst all the potential for bullshit with it just becoming a film where they plot and scheme to a final battle.

I mean they plot and scheme to a final battle but they use it to create a vehicle in which Iron Man gets to engage with his dad as he is about to potentially die after only just becoming a father (and save his other adopted son). Hulk finally accepts his inner turmoil and becomes at peace with what he is just as Natasha leaves the scene. Captain America understands where his place in time and space is and gets to recover that which was ripped from him in fridge mode. I can’t imagine how they decided this was the arc they were going to take - certainly it’s not the obvious one in my view - and I think they deserve heaps of credit for that.

Going back to question from a while back: I think this film is basically at least partially reliant(maybe even 60-80%) on giving a shit about these characters and their relationships to each other.

• Oh yeah. The Marvel films are all about you giving a shit about the people on screen. it's the main thing differentiating them from DC, who just seem to go "care about this because it's Batman."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Good write up Crayon. I think the emotional story is the important story. The time travel macgiffin is just that. A plot device to hold the story together.
  • Oh yeah. The Marvel films are all about you giving a shit about the people on screen. it's the main thing differentiating them from DC, who just seem to go "care about this because it's Batman."

You certainly don’t go for the fighting (the exception being the AntMan films imo which are inventive at least). Even here I think endgame was a step up over infinity war. Each fight had this character basis to it 1 whereas I felt in infinity war the motivation for some fights and rhythms were to highlight something cool - notably wakanda fight where they start to lose Just So Thor can use his coooooooooooooool dude axe to turn the tide for a minute before it’s back to losing again.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Good write up Crayon. I think the emotional story is the important story. The time travel macgiffin is just that. A plot device to hold the story together.

Yeah. It’s worth remembering if point (A) is half dead people and point (B) is bring everyone back the magic QUANTUM allows any route between. Reverse time, a trick a sabotage or whatever but they probably do the most convoluted one which can’t stand up to its own nonsense rules (while dissing all the other time travel films!) just to serve the important part of the story - the people.

Bang on. The end battle is a perfect example. All the beats of the battle are based on the characters. Compared to the DC stuff which is just more punching, the Marvel focus is on the people. It still gets a bit murky in points but it always snaps back to a character moment. 

There was a comment someone made over the past few pages about scrutiny of these types of films (and I include the likes of Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings stuff and the DC stuff) and I really think that you cant put too much weight on the logic without it bending or breaking simply because of the premise of the overall universe. Think theres gaps in the time travel stuff? Iron Man is a normal guy in a super protective suit of armour that can mould itself into any weapon, carries unlimited ammo and power and regenerates. Thor is a god of Thunder who summons his weapons to him by sticking his hand out. Luke was guided to destroy a massive military weapon by the voice of a ghost of a man who disappeared when a beam of light hit him. 

Obviously certain times the logic is stretched too far and it snaps and ruins the film for you and I'm not knocking Andy or anyone else who found the time stuff took them out of the movie. Its happened to me with other movies. But I genuinely believe that these types of film when done right are not about the details or logic. They are, as mistercrayon said, about the characters. These are the beats the film makers are really looking to hit. Everything else is just scenery to get the Hero to stand up, the romance to begin, the villain to fall and the good guys to triumph. We've bantered back and forth about the time jump and possibly spend more time on it than the writers. Its fun, but its like criticism of Banksy for not using a normal canvas. It's missing the point.

*yes, I just watched exit through the gift shop
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I would put Endgame in the same bracket as Star Trek Discovery Season 2 where I wouldn't say there were plot holes as such because it's easy to think of explainations for why stuff happened, it just would have been nice to have had an additional couple of lines of expositionary dialogue to completely clarify.

They could have quite easily killed some of these discussions dead as the underlying plot isn't rotten at all and, as mentioned above, the audience shouldn't be too inclined to take it super-seriously anyway as it's all ridiculous comicbook stuff with slightly loose logic anyway.
  • It's frustrating because the movie fucks its own logic. Don't tell me that you're not creating a different time line, and then create a different time line. There is no explanation for some of the events beyond them creating the new realities.

Other than that... Mostly good I'd say. I laughed, I even teared up a few times. There are some issues with it and I didn't come out as buzzing as I did after Infinity War. But maybe that's because this is an end. I can't say I feel satisfied though.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Can someone remind me of the deal with wielding Thor's hammer? I seem to remember it not being based on pure strength, which they establish in a throwaway scene in some previous film where they're all having a shot of lifting it and are unable to, apart from Cap who manages a slight shift. That implies there's some sort of "worthiness" involved, which Thor also bangs on about, and seems to be the reason Cap can swing away in freewheeling, lighting-blasting style at the end of this. But then why is Thanos also able to wield, swing, and throw the thing around with ease? Presumably he's not "worthy", but also probably no stronger than, say, Hulk, who then also could have reasonably wielded it at any point. At least they had the good grace to go and return it alongside the stones.

The rest was fine.
  • Explained in Thor 1? Thor can only lift it once he is worthy. Good in his heart and all that malarkey. Not to do with muscular strength. Based on that, Cap would fit the bill far better I think and should’ve been able to lift it from the start. 

How’d he do the thunder though? Thought that was a Thor thing and not a Mjollnir thing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!