Avengers End Game **SPOILERS DISCUSSION**
  • “Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.”

That's part of Odin's spell on Mjolnir.

No such spell exists on Stormbreaker.

Don't think Thanos ever actually holds Mjolnir, just deflects it.
  • I’m not sure how much further they could have gone about saying “FILM TIME TRAVEL LOGIC IS STUPID”
  • MattyJ wrote:
    It's frustrating because the movie fucks its own logic. Don't tell me that you're not creating a different time line, and then create a different time line. There is no explanation for some of the events beyond them creating the new realities.

That is exactly what the movie tells you is happening.
    SFV - reddave360
  • “Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.” That's part of Odin's spell on Mjolnir.

Ah cheers explains the thunder.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I was fairly sure Thanos swung the hammer about as well but I'm probably misremembering. Cheers for the clarification, though still think the thunder is a bit dodge.
  • Oh missed you saying Thanos does it. I don’t recall seeing that.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    It's frustrating because the movie fucks its own logic. Don't tell me that you're not creating a different time line, and then create a different time line. There is no explanation for some of the events beyond them creating the new realities.

That is exactly what the movie tells you is happening.

Oh does it? I thought the point of Hulk's conversation with Tilda Swinton was her saying you can't have the stone because it fucks our time line, and him saying they won't do that because the stone goes back to when they took it, restoring the time line?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I need to see it again.
  • No, it fucks her timeline from that point on. Bruce is the main timeline (the big orange one) and then she shows him a new black timeline coming out which would be her future without the time stone the main orange still would exist.

(Trust me, I'm the secret third Russo bros.)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Thor's hammer and cap being able to use it was explained in ULTRON. Theres a scene where the avengers try individually to lift it and fail. That is everyone bar Cap who makes it move slightly which worries Thor. By the time of Endgame Cap is now "worthy" of the hammer and therefore all the hammers powers are available to him.

PS. I think it would have been better if Thanos killed Cap on the field as Cap saw help coming through the portals.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    I was fairly sure Thanos swung the hammer about as well but I'm probably misremembering. Cheers for the clarification, though still think the thunder is a bit dodge.

I'm pretty sure you are misremembering.
  • They were pretty good at making sure black Panthers purple energy suit gimmick was going on in this battle and the one in infinity war, cant see them making that kind of clanger with the hammer.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    No, it fucks her timeline from that point on. Bruce is the main timeline (the big orange one) and then she shows him a new black timeline coming out which would be her future without the time stone the main orange still would exist.

(Trust me, I'm the secret third Russo bros.)

It’s also clear that she trusts Sherlock’s ability to see timelines better than hers and so in the situation she allows what she shows is a messing up might not be infact the big messing up.

It also seems like that the timelines or the events within the timelines themselves might not be that important but that the stones exist in a timeline together - so it was her plucking out the stone from the circle of stones that causes a dark path. Once they bring her stone back together with the other ones in one timeline the circle is reformed then the harmony of all the stones keeps everything hunkydory even if the timeline is different in what happens.
  • Very enjoyable film (and the 3 hours did fly by).

It can be nitpicked to death but they set out their variant of time travel rules quite clearly so we cant give out to them.

My niggles with the 5 years later thing:
    1. Peter Parkers entire year/school were dust?
    2. Half the population gone for 5 years, world/society visibly declining, are they going to starve?
  • I’m pretty sure they’ve fucked the New York timeline up. That timelines cap knows Bucky is alive, Hydra thinks Cap knows about them but Cap doesn’t so he’s at a disadvantage there, Loki is on the loose, working for Thanos and that timelines Thanos is alive. All infinity stones are present in that time.

If Marvel had bothered to bring this script to me prior to filming, I’d have sorted that Cap stuff out at the end. Made it pretty explicit that Cap can jump around space and time for as long as he likes, go anywhere, do anything and doesn’t need the portal to get back. Then he can turn up on the bench and you don’t know what he’s been caught up in - fighting aliens in other dimensions, going through Earths history putting right what once went wrong, he could be 200 years old and he can still have been married for 50 years in the midst of that. As it stands it’s sort of implied that he just retired in his prime and grew old somewhere, ignoring what was going on in the world around him, and undermining the alternate universe take on time travel they’d established in the film.

‘Flying Black cap but he’s got no powers’ is a more interesting set up than ‘Cap now has robot arm, a gun and long hair because he’s bad ass now’. Regular black guy has to live up to impossible standard, find strength from within to do the right thing to make up the disadvantage etc

It’s just that beard that’s the problem. Totally ruined that last scene, it was the only thing I could think about.

• Does the Thanos in this film figure out time travel? Or just hang around for like 9 years and then pop out on earth?
  • He gets it all from Nebula's memory banks
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Does the Thanos in this film figure out time travel? Or just hang around for like 9 years and then pop out on earth?

His nebula goes to 2019, and he is able to use the tech on the other side to jump to there.

It's probably the thinnest bit of plot really, but thaos has always been shown to be very tech savvy so it's possible that they got what they needed to know through 2019 nebula
    SFV - reddave360
  • AntMan had a LOT more screentime than I than had expected. But that is good. I like Paul Rudd. I'm a bit miffed Hulk didnt get to hulk out and go crazy. I thought with the laboured, genteel hipster Hulk that we were set for a full-on rage Hulk but nope. I dont think he threw a single angry punch.

I dunno. I'm not on board for Falcon as cap. The actor who plays him is good so no problems there. Its the lack of powers, i just can't get over it. Hawkeye gets a drubbing for being just a guy who is a good shot. Falcon doesn't even have that.
    Who Tony didnt just give him a suit I dont know.
    I didn't feel a jot of emotion for Stark dying.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I think to be captain America you need the following powers:

1) a good ass.
  • How can hulk get angry when he’s at peace with himself? He is hulk and banner.

Aw the bit with the taco was so adorable.
  • I think to be captain America you need the following powers:

1) a good ass.

Make Americas ass great again.

I did wonder was this just an ass joke or a bit of a whink to the gripes around the first avengers movie poster where all the blokes have hero poses but black widow is in an ass showing pose.

SFV - reddave360
  • Tokyo fight scene was all sorts of awesome.
  • How can hulk get angry when he’s at peace with himself? He is hulk and banner. Aw the bit with the taco was so adorable.

I liked the bit where he said something along the lines of "it's almost like I was made for it" with regards to the glove. It felt like Banner and Hulk saying it together, but I also felt it was a good framing of  these two films as a whole, especially with the the "I am Iron Man", Jon Favreau getting a little scene with Morgan Stark, and sound after the end credits being Tony working on the suit.
  • Also, Random Nameless Rat is the hero for bringing AntMan back which sets it all in motion.
  • poprock wrote:
    “I think it’s gratuitous, but okay.”

That was the best Hulk moment.
  • Tempy wrote:
    How can hulk get angry when he’s at peace with himself? He is hulk and banner. Aw the bit with the taco was so adorable.
    I liked the bit where he said something along the lines of "it's almost like I was made for it" with regards to the glove. It felt like Banner and Hulk saying it together, but I also felt it was a good framing of  these two films as a whole, especially with the the "I am Iron Man", Jon Favreau getting a little scene with Morgan Stark, and sound after the end credits being Tony working on the suit.

Yeah I love how it all ties up together. I appreciated it a lot more in second viewing cos on first viewing I was being a lot more of a kid and WAAAAHHH WHERE IS MY MORE FIGHTZ AND GIVE ME MIRE LOKI/HIDDLESTONE
  • Could’ve done with less music, specially when it’s just them talking and exposition etc. Like when AntMan is explaining his plan. Don’t need dramatic music for that.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Could’ve done with less music, specially when it’s just them talking and exposition etc. Like when AntMan is explaining his plan. Don’t need dramatic music for that.

I think you'll find south park has proven that you always need intense music for best exposition especially when it's a big science idea.
    SFV - reddave360
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Also, Random Nameless Rat is the hero for bringing AntMan back which sets it all in motion.

This. Lol. Everyone banging on about time travel when this was a thing.

I absolutely loved the ride though, fantastic ending to an excellent series of films.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!