Avengers End Game **SPOILERS DISCUSSION**
  • Tempy wrote:

So, I think this backs up those of us on the "different timeline universes " side if things.

Always like hearing the reasoning behind decisions made for these things.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Thats a cracking read.
  • I wonder if they will do a proper Scarlet Witch "House of M" comic storyline. She's a stupidly powerful character and her ability to change reality could be alot of fun on the big screen. Especially her changing the lives of the avengers I.e. doctor strange is a psychologist etc.
  • Tempy wrote:

Good read. Shocked that they actually considered showing Living Tribunal on screen. That's a complete different level of powerful entity that marvel have never shown before onscreen (basically one level below god).

• Yeah, that was a really nice interview. Cheers for the pointer Tempy.
  • There are deep-bench characters where I’m like, if you roll that guy out, I couldn’t resist. There is a great Moon Knight movie to be made
    Yes please.
  • I still have so many questions.

*Charlie in the mail room.img*
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So how is Steve Rogers not fucking up the timeline by never killing red skull or stopping Hydra or I guess dying of polio.
  • Apparently it's all alternative time lines Reg and we've just got to accept that or something
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • You can't change your own past. You can only fuck up another timeline.
  • I have seen this now. Thoughts later.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I also saw it.
    I thought it was good but perhaps not worth the hype.
    I think Infinity War was better.

I liked the first half, maybe two thirds. Time heist could have been longer, that was a lot of fun. Then there was about 30 minutes where I was bored while Gamorah and Nebula fucked about. Never had much interest in the pair.

Final battle was cg shitfest that if I am honest wasnt a great deal better than Aquaman.

I dont understand why Captian Marvel was in this film and looking at Tempy's link I dont think the directors did either.

Not sure why they want us to suddenly care about the plight of Hawkeye.

It wrapped up nicely mind.

Iron Paltrow isnt going to be a thing is she? Cant stand Paltrow.
  • The first half had me worried tbh, thought it was weak. I was sold by the end.
  • Some kid/guy behind me said out loud “is that it?!” when Thor beheaded Thanos. I chuckled.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Someone behind me started eating a katsu curry 2 mins in
  • I thought this video was amazing. I wonder how many of yous realise what's going on with MCU

https://youtu.be/exheGjFGNko

Great vid, but... Thanose. Urgh.

• nick_md wrote:
    Someone behind me started eating a katsu curry 2 mins in

that’s a power move
  • He is Thaknows cos he is also cursed with knowledge lolololol yes I also hate that pronunciation.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Tempy wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Someone behind me started eating a katsu curry 2 mins in
    that’s a power move

Yep. Its a move that says "I'm in control of this cinema"
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Tempy wrote:

Hahaha, "Stephen McFeely", like a Scottish perv, sorry, I'm a child
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • So, Avengers: Endgame.
    Never in the history of cinema has one film elicited so many different responses from one viewer.
    I laughed. I cried. I yawned. I was confused. I was disappointed. I was satisfied...and that was just the first hour.
    Mercifully my bladder rose to the challenge, but my lower back may never forgive me. Few films genuinely merit a three hour run-time, and this wasn't one of them. What could have been a breathlessly inventive two hour thrill ride, turned out to have more false endings and goodbyes than Jackson's Lord Of The Rings trilogy.
    It's a wildly uneven experience, and I pity anyone going in who has perhaps only seen Infinity War, because none of this film will make much sense. But hold on a minute. I've seen all twenty two of these films and I still didn't have a fucking clue what was going on at times. After the sublime meal that was Infinity War (which for a long time will be the benchmark for this sort of film), Endgame turns out be be the culinary equivalent of making soup with the leftovers, and I suspect that much like soup, it will actually improve for a second helping the following day.

What saves the film (as with all the Marvel canon), is the characters. This one is basically three hours of fan-service where everyone gets to shine as they reach their own final destination and alight the Marvel Hype Train. The performances are universally great, and that's really what separates the MCU from the myriad failed attempts at jumping on that bandwagon by other studios.

So it's a pity then that the plot and structure of this one are such a jumbled mess. It's been well documented here that the time-wimey stuff just doesn't wash and has left most people just scratching their heads. It's quite ironic that they namecheck Back To The Future in the script, because their attempts to ape the second instalment in that franchise are pretty damn poor.
    After the overlong moping of the first act that left me yawning dangerously, I had even more issues with the second act's time heist. It was probably a great idea to go back and revisit scenarios from previous entries in the MCU, but it just didn't really land for me. If you're going to do that, then it has to be fucking audacious in it's execution, and this was all just a bit half arsed and confusing for me.

It was a mistake to bring back Thanos. There I've said it. He's the elephant in the room. A great idea to have Thor behead the purple bawbag so early on, but that should have been it for him. I would much rather have seen a film focussing on the Avengers trying and failing then trying again to reverse the snap, with their main enemy perhaps being time itself, than having them just come up against Thanos for a cgi slugfest again. Still, I suppose if nothing else that gave everyone their Bring Me Thanos! moment.
    It's also worth noting that when they fight Thanos at the end, he doesn't have any of the Infinity Stones in his possession, so any one of the Avengers should have been able to just annihilate the big purple fucker because he just doesn't have any powa at that point. Hmmmmm...

Captain America suddenly has the ability to use Thor's hammer. What the fuck? That just left me scratching my head when I should have been invested in the battle.
    Scarlet Witch absolutely bosses her return.
    Captain Marvel's inclusion was an embarrassing mistake.
    Fat Thor was a decent joke that didn't merit it's running gag status.
    Smart Hulk was a mistake. When Bald Lady separated Banner from Hulk I would have been happier if she'd left them separate. 
    And Tony Stark? Well I thought his end was poor. He basically snaps his fingers and dies. Hmmmm. I would like to have seen him make the ultimate sacrifice to save his wife and daughter when the time-wimey stuff in my draft of the screenplay beats him into a corner, but again, it's fan service, and it tied up his arc nicely. It's just a bit underwhelming given everything that's come before, and his hug with the returned Spider-Man rather than his demise, was easily his highlight in this film.

The Captain America time paradox was also nice fan-service, but opens a whole can of worms for the timeline, and while we're on the subject of time travel, How does Thanos, his mothership, and his entire army travel forward in time without the Pym Particles? I'm afraid much of this film just left me baffled, and relegating the entire explanation of what happened to the disappeared to one line from Spider-Man in the midst of a chaotic battle was a poor choice. There was so much going on at that point that I couldn't process anything he said. Were they all dead and then brought back? Were they somewhere else? Were they in the Quantum realm? Were they in Bradford? I have no idea, but hey, they're all back now and Doctor Strange is refusing to explain any of it. O-K.

So where does all this leave us going forward? I guess The Avengers will be renamed The Diversity Warriors. We've got a bunch of B-listers like Random Black Man, Multi-Cultural Viking Lady and Captain Marvelous to carry the torch. I expect that post-studio merger, Professor X will also join them because he's in a wheel chair which makes him an A-list diversity pledge. Anyway, good luck to them all. If they can make a success of this lot then it won't be the first time they've surprised me.
    Their brightest hope for the future has to be Thor joining The Guardians of the Galaxy for Guardians III: The Search For Spock Gamora. Now that put a big smile on my face. 

So when all is said and done, and dust has finally settled, it's a big old bloated mess of a film, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun. It's not as good as Infinity War, but then again, what is?

five infinity stones out of six

g.man
  • Mjolnir can be wielded by anyone who is worthy, which is foreshadowed in Age of Ultron.

The pym particle thing has a scene where Thanos takes them from Nebula and holds them up in front of the camera.
  • I don't doubt any of that, but it's a film where there's so much going on it's very easy to miss stuff.
  • Careful with that diversity bite-back, g, it doesn’t read at all well.

I’m surprised to read a few people saying that Endgame isn’t as good as Infinity War. I would place IW as one of the weakest films in the franchise, and didn’t elicit anything like the range of emotions that Endwar did.
  • Wouldn't Nebula have needed them to travel forward before Thanos and Co?
  • How does nebula have more than one though? Fake/Past nebula goes home and presumably uses the last pym - they do have 9 years to make more I guess.
  • So google "Thanos" and click on the gaunlet. Very cool. Wait till its finished and click on the gaunlet again. Nice.
  • I think they pick up more pym particles when they go back to the Mad Men offices in the 1960s.
  • Yes, but Thanos wouldn't have had them.
  • monkey wrote:
    I think they pick up more pym particles when they go back to the Mad Men offices in the 1960s.

Yes, but they didn’t actually have opportunity to give those to anybody at any useful point in the story. They just eventually provided fuel for Cap to make his ‘take back the stones’ trip.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!