Avengers End Game **SPOILERS DISCUSSION**
  • Not sure about comic popularity but Iron Man did have his own cartoon in the 80s/90s.
    So not unknown but a tier below X men.

Had a bad ass intro.

I believe there was an older cartoon as well.
  • I dont quite get your argument. Are you arguing Wolverine wasnt well known?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Not sure about comic popularity but Iron Man did have his own cartoon in the 80s/90s.

Yeah he's just never been a proper "banner" character. Comic fans were into him but he's not Spidey or whatever.
  • Wolverine wasn't well known in this country before firstly the 90s X-Men cartoon, then the films. Not the mainstream recognition he's got now. Minus the claws, a lot of people might struggle to identify him in his classic yellow and blue outfit.
  • To be fair, spidey is a different level to most of the superheroes isn't he? I always figured he was marvels top character.

Back to 'where do they go?', regardless of how comics work, I think the mcu can only work in diminishing returns from here on out unless they get another character to really catch fire. Maybe captain marvel can do this, maybe spiderman, maybe black panther, but I'm not sure.

Another issue that I think will affect the appeal is that as the world of the films expands and changes, it becomes less like our own and will get to the point were it's too fantastical I could be wrong but I think marvel smartly built on a grounded core of heroes first with iron man and cap. Even thor was set more in the modern world. As even planet earth changes , there is less for people to identify with.

But I'll be very happy if they prove me wrong.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Speilberg believes superhero movies will go the way of the spaghetti westerns.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Speilberg believes superhero movies will go the way of the spaghetti westerns.

Spielberg also thought ready player one was a good idea. That film was ass.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I want all Spielberg's films on Netflix only.
  • They’ll be Apple only soon. He’s signed himself over.
  • Also, I love diversity and loved the femdom moment in EG.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Speilberg believes superhero movies will go the way of the spaghetti westerns.
    They're definitely equivalent in some ways. As much as superpants films have been everywhere over the past 20 years, over 600 spaghetti westerns were made between 1960 and 1978 (I checked wikipedia - I knew it was high but didn't realise it was that high). Enthusiasm for superboys will die out and something else will come along. I doubt this is news to Disney, who probably just want to ride the wave for as long as it lasts. 

If there's one thing that superfriend films have that Westerns don't, it's a more diverse range of options and settings that might keep the interest there. I think of it as another genre really - somewhere between fantasy and sci-fi, with just as many possibilities as either. Although much stupider usually.
  • Thong beard made me laugh tho, top work whoever that Wass in here.
  • monkey wrote:
    Wolverine wasn't well known in this country before firstly the 90s X-Men cartoon, then the films. Not the mainstream recognition he's got now. Minus the claws, a lot of people might struggle to identify him in his classic yellow and blue outfit.

He didnt have the mainstream recognition he has now, but then basically no Marvel character did. He was still well known, being one of their biggest characters from the mid to late 80's. He appears in multiple games, including one based on him alone that predate the tv series.

It certanly didnt diminish him, but the idea he was unknown prior to that is laughable.
  • It really depends on what you mean by 'known'. Of course dweebs like us had heard of him but would he have cropped up as a guess on Family Fortunes for 'Name a superhero'? How would Les Dennis have reacted to that guess? How many of 100 people would have said Wolverine? Spider-man, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk - they would have been in there.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't think Captain America was better known than Wolverine in the UK in the '90s.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Who is this Wolverine guy you're all talking about?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Who is this Wolverine guy you're all talking about?
    Inside out Iron Man.
  • Is he a cockney?
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I don't think Captain America was better known than Wolverine in the UK in the '90s.

Definitely not
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • monkey wrote:
    It really depends on what you mean by 'known'. Of course dweebs like us had heard of him but would he have cropped up as a guess on Family Fortunes for 'Name a superhero'? How would Les Dennis have reacted to that guess? How many of 100 people would have said Wolverine? Spider-man, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk - they would have been in there.

General public at large I'd guess back in the 80s/90s would be able to name Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Hulk, WonderWoman. Not too sure about Captain America.

The first two had movies, the next three TV shows (not cartoons).
  • g.man wrote:
    Is he a cockney?

Harold Steptoe was just an ordinary rag and bone man until a meteorite crashed in to his yard, fusing and old kettle to his own skeleton, turning him into The Wolverine.
    Using his new powers he fights for goodness but is forever held back by his love for his Father and arch nemesis Dirty Old Man.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Definitely not
    Nor do I. 

I said before the X-Men cartoon came out. It's possibly coloured by my own experience as I really liked Captain America when I was a snot nose but hadn't heard of Wolverine until much later. I didn't have obscure tastes or anything, just liked whatever was about. It's all much of a muchness. The big ones are Superman and Superboy/girl variants, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-man, The Incredible Hulk and of course Martian Manhunter. Everyone else would get a shrug from the general populace.
  • The only superheroes I knew in 80s were Spiderman, Hulk, Batman, Superman.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Is he a cockney?
    Harold Steptoe was just an ordinary rag and bone man until a meteorite crashed in to his yard, fusing and old kettle to his own skeleton, turning him into The Wolverine. Using his new powers he fights for goodness but is forever held back by his love for his Father and arch nemesis Dirty Old Man.
    Any old iron, man.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Right caught up on G’s review and only have one thing to say.

Fuck you g.man!! Smart Hulk was the bestest and I laughed every time he was on set (virtually of course).

*carry on*
  • :)
  • Wonder woman wasn't well know in the 90s imo.

Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Hulk. That was it. And Hulk is a maybe. DC had the more well know chars.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Russos have confirmed that Cap buggered off to an alternative universe then came back, and that the people who weren't dusted aged an additional 5 years compared to those that were.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-russo-bros-answer-lingering-endgame-questions-in-a-interview.114375/
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Wonder Woman deffo had recognition for 90s kids parents.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    The Russos have confirmed that Cap buggered off to an alternative universe then came back, and that the people who weren't dusted aged an additional 5 years compared to those that were. https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-russo-bros-answer-lingering-endgame-questions-in-a-interview.114375/
    "This answer is pretty confusing and doesn't make much sense."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!