META QUEST - Stand Alone VR
  • Go straight to Oculus.
    I got mine off them in about 4-6 days.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Just been playing VRigade or whatever is called. 
    Bloody good little crisis style shooter.
    Sideloaded for free via sidequest. 
    It's been rejected from the store, might be because it's using downloaded stock visual assets.
  • Fucking hard I thought. Could do with the option of a laser sight. Or I just suck.
  • It's tricky.
    The first section of the first level is, oddly, the hardest. Get through that and you have lots of standing cover in the bank.
  • I just played Happy Together by The Turtles on Beat Saber. Great fun. Less J/K-Pop pish more oldies please!
  • The only thing I play is Rum and Bass and that's how I like it, me hearties!
  • Ha, yes, I think that's my favourite out of the original lineup.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Not had the opportunity to strap one on over the last few days, but homeward bound soon so that will change. Itching to play some more Moss!

In the meantime, here's The Gadget Show and their take on the Quest and a visit the devs of Phantom: Covert Ops.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    $5m seems way low :-/
  • All my games from the Oculus store are yarred.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Muzzy, depends how many were sold. 100,000 consoles?
    Average software spend of say £50 (Vader Immortal is £7.99) works out to £5,000,000. Not to shabby for a little advertised VR headset.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    ah sorry, software only.  ok not quite so worrying i guess.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The real take from the story - owners are using it much more than tethered VR as it's much less faff, albeit at a graphical scale-down.
  • Well they're using it differently because it's less faff. Lots of solid, short experiences.
  • Played a Quest on Monday and was very impressed, instant setup and ready to play in seconds. Showed a friend Moss (to see if he wanted to buy it for the Quest) and it took 7-8 mins to setup the PSVR and then a little longer to calibrate. The Quest was such an improvement on the PSVR in that respect.

I played Beat Saber which was great and graphically very sharp on the Quest. Next up was Pirate trainer and that was good as well but not graphically as good as Beat Saber. On the both of these games, the fact you can move around was the big difference between the headsets and that was without using the analogue sticks on the controllers.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Tbh it's not really a problem on the PC. It is more faff, but only slightly. You set the base stations up in your office once (or VR space or whatever) and that's it. The PC sits under a desk and the HMD is always plugged in to the PC and sits on the desk behind the monitor. 

All I have to do is flick two switches to turn the base stations on, grab the controllers and put the headset on. You can even turn the PC and Steam VR on by pressing any button on the VR controllers. Takes literally 10 seconds all in.  

The beauty of the Quest is the freedom without the wire, not the setup.
  • Not sure how it performs but you can get Vivecraft working with the Quest. Vivecraft is a lovely thing and hopefully it'll get optimised for this. It can be wonderfully relaxing or pant-shittingly terrifying. The mines are scary as fuck.

Here it is on the Quest. 

• Has anyone done Alien: Isolation in VR yet? Because that could be really terrifying. Hiding in a virtual locker.
  • No sir. Minecraft was bad enough.
  • I was digging away but the vibe of the mines starts to weigh down on you and I was looking over my shoulder all the time when out of nowhere there was a creeper right beside me. Gave me the shock of my life and I may have made a noise.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The big selling point of the quest is outdoors for me.
    Had just about every early VR headset and the most annoying problem for me was lack of space especially with games like superhot.
    You have to wait for the right conditions (usually just after sunset) but being able to play in a large outdoors space transforms the experience for me.
    You rang.....
  • I went camping last week and all I could think about - while I was supposed to be appreciated and communing with nature - was how awesome the field I was in would be for VR.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Instead of faff I should have said more flexible. Lurch (watta name) and Scout giving examples of how portable this thing is. Dominique wants to watch Love Island, bam, Beat Saber in the Kitchen. Moss in the bedroom. King prawns in the karzie.
  • It's just different. My 3 most played games aren't even considered VR in the Steam stats, but games that updated to have a VR option, which means it's usually sitting down stuff that you might be in for an hour or so until it gets uncomfortable. Sometimes I play a game in VR for an hour and then an hour on monitor. When I do go roomscale the biggest thing is pushing all the sofas back to make a big playspace. With Quest you can, as Scout points out, go outside for massive area. I'd love to play Budget Cuts in a field.
  • VTOL VR is ace.
  • Ooops wrong thread.
  • Bit pissed. Available for Oculus, just not Quest. It really is great though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!