Breath of the Wild 2: No, -You’re- Breathtaking!
‹ Previous1234
  • D9Dsk42XYAEsL9Z.jpg

The Legend of Zelda:

Breath of the Wild 2

So, a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild, then. That’s definitely the existing BotW landscape we see in the external shot, but I wonder if that shift/quake/explosion at Hyrule Castle is the catalyst for some sort of transformation of the landscape. I also wonder if the trailer is hinting at a Princess Zelda with more agency, possibly even as a playable character? Who knows.

Speculate away!
  • I'd like a return to the linear specific item to beat dungeon formula. That clearly won't happen, so I'll wish for a BotW type with the item/dungeon thing added back in. Shrines lacked personality and BotW lacked a feeling of magic. Bring both back and it could be a [10] for me.
  • Yeah I'm well up for this but proper dungeons please.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You’re ruining Keanu by associating him with a sequel to some bollocks.
  • I'll come back to this thread in 2021 when the game will probably be released
  • 'Proper' dungeons would be a step back. I really hope they don't go down that route. Keep pushing forward.

Other than that, I hope this would be one of the quirky/weird Zeldas. Like the equivalent of Majora's to Ocarina.

See you in 2 years.
  • I love linear Zelda but it's unlikely they'd go back. I'd quite like a return of the character changes from Majora. Would make it easier to create a game that could be approached in any order yet while still offering proper dungeons - this one requires a goron form, and so on. So what I want is: A Link Between Worlds in 3D with the scope of BotW and the form morphs of Majora's. I'll have a light and dark world too thanks.
  • I think they could do the open world but with dungeons thing. Breath of the Wild was good but I do wish the ancient dungeon things lasted a bit longer and were more involved.

I like that this is a sequel though because it means they can expand and improve on what they did with the first. There's quite a few little things that need fixing like the inventory management and so on.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    BotW is the most magical and wonderful game I've ever played, give thine heed a swift wobble young Mootsy. The linear dungeon thing will be covered by this year's Zelda remake, BotW2 can revel in more of the open world freedom to explore.

It is interesting what they're going to do to the landscape to make it worthwhile exploring again. It does feel like Zelda may be a playable character this time, maybe even a co-op partner where one of the two is AI controlled if you're offline.
  • Due to the speed of development my money is on some sort of majoras mask
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I’ve even got the MM mask in botw
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I should probably play this first one, now I actually own it...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I really should finish this now that I’ve owned it for ages. Only did the first dungeon.
  • Honestly I expect a remixed world due to some cataclysmic event. Same basic geography but maybe some excavated/exposed labyrinths or complex temples on par with the best of Skyward Sword. Maybe like the Divine BEasts only much longer, and gatekeeping story progression rather than world access.

The shrines in BOTW were (story wise) placed there as a trial for the hero to overcome. They were overcome canonically, so what else is there to discover must by necessity be new. I reckon its going to have a more organic feel to it than the shrines did, unless they go with some alternate reality mechanic.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • BotW is the most magical and wonderful game I've ever played, give thine heed a swift wobble young Mootsy.

I just never got that....flute boy lost woods windmill town feeling.
  • I think they could do the open world but with dungeons thing. Breath of the Wild was good but I do wish the ancient dungeon things lasted a bit longer and were more involved.

I like that this is a sequel though because it means they can expand and improve on what they did with the first. There's quite a few little things that need fixing like the inventory management and so on.

This.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    BotW is the most magical and wonderful game I've ever played, give thine heed a swift wobble young Mootsy.
    I just never got that....flute boy lost woods windmill town feeling.

go to rito village
  • at night
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The inventory, cooking and potion things need an upgrade. Other than that, there’s just a couple of design choices I’d like them to make - more unbreakable weapons and gear. And slightly longer, linear bits. Whether that’s dungeons or super-shrines or something like the island where you lose all your stuff, I don’t care much.
  • I didn’t realize people actually liked the dungeons in anything
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    ... says the German fetish club expert
  • I didn’t realize people actually liked the dungeons in anything

I was going to recommend Ancient Cistern from Skyward Sword.
    acemuzzy wrote:
    ... says the German fetish club expert

Now I'm definitely recommending Ancient Cistern from Skyward Sword.
  • Something like Sen’s Fortress from Dark Souls. Or Undead Burg. Or Cathedral from Souls 3. Etc etc. Basically a big BIG place to explore the inside of as well as the big Big BIG world to explore and lose yourself in.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Things I'd like to see:

1. A wider toolset - BotW gave you everything you needed at the beginning and I think that was a fantastic choice. But I'd also like more optional items that you can find in the world (like hookshots etc.) that can be used to solve puzzles in more ways. One of my favourite things about BotW was how you could get inventive and "break" puzzles, and I think a couple more items could help that. This is the Metroid fan in me speaking. A Link Between Worlds did this really well - utilising certain tools for certain dungeons, but giving you a lot of options outside of that. Similarly, Majora's Mask had some wonderful things you could do with certain masks. 

2. Loot changes - this is kinda tied to the above. The chest rewards for attacking camps / completing shrines were boring as fuck after the first few times. They were mainly similar armour and weapons to what you already had. There were some unique items, like gear to make you climb faster, and i'd like more of that - more weapons and armour that have unique properties that can let you change your playstyle and build. Because, frankly, getting yet another big flaming sword and having to go through and drop a weapon I had already picked up wasn't the most exciting.

3. Longer Shrines - this one is personal preference, obviously. Nintendo seem to have a design philosophy where they try things once or twice and then ditch it, so everything is "fresh" and "inventive". But, for me, it often feels underwhelming and disposable. Mario Odyssey (the worst 3D mario) did this a lot, and I hated it. So did BotW. I  know quite a few dungeons had a second room but they were always optional, and the rewards, as mentioned above, were pretty duff. I'd like Shrines with multiple rooms, with escalating rewards, that introduce a concept and really test you on it. BotW's best shrine was the Blue Flame one - where you had to carry a blue flame through the area, using different methods to get is across obstacles. More of that, please.

4. No more motion controls (outside of gyroscopic aiming) - Gyroscopic aiming is good. I liked it on Vita, I like it on Switch, it's a great way to optionally add aiming accuracy on a handheld console. But the motion controlled puzzles in BotW were almost all completely shit. Ditch them.

5. An improved combat system - the combat in BotW was decent, but it's been pretty comprehensively shown that the dodge / flurry attack timing is utterly borked. It makes perfecting a dodge or attack feel unsatisfying since often you don't get rewarded for it (and actually sometimes get punished), but if you dodge way too early you succeed. I know they want the game to be accessible, but it doesn't need to be like this - they could have 2 windows for dodges - one early with a shorter reward, and a "perfect" dodge reward with a longer window and increased damage. 

6. Less outdoor climbing and more traversal options - climbing in BotW is great, but those mountain textures aren't great, lets be honest. Furthermore, scoping out an area from above isn't really that worthwhile, outside of locating shrines, because the game struggled to draw enemies more than a few metres away, so when you sailed down you'd often pop into danger unknowingly. By comparison, more smaller interiors could force you to use climbing and traversal in inventive ways. Similarly, early in the game you can use a tree to create a bridge, but there's not that many opportunities to be that inventive later in the game. You can play around and get inventive, sure, but the actual overworld is a little more barren that i'd like and lacks caves / interiors which could have made it more interesting to explore.

7. Better voice acting - it sucked. 

8. General QoL changes - things like inventory management, changing weapons etc. were more fiddly than I would have liked. I think they can do better here. 

There's a lot of ways in which I think BotW can be improved, but it's still a really impressive game. I'm actually super happy they'll do a direct sequel and I think it was a game calling out for fine tuning and improvement on top of a really solid foundation. Excited.
  • If Elden Ring is actually gonna be open world, it might actually have a chance of being close to challenging BotW. Trust FromSoft to make it good.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    If Elden Ring is actually gonna be open world, it might actually have a chance of being close to challenging BotW. Trust FromSoft to make it good.

I expect it'll be more combat / build oriented and less about puzzle solving, plus different traversal mechanics. But yeah...I think it could deffo scratch that itch.
  • I basically want a perfect cross between BotW and more FromSoft stuff! Not the build related gameplay; but the world building, cohesive level and area design, lore etc and better combat.
  • A smaller, more tightly packed world would be good to see. The size of the map (and all those mountains to scope out routes into the distance) in BotW is one of its best features, but I don't see a need to repeat the same trick.
  • I feel like whatever philosophy they used to make breath of the wild sort of makes every decision in the game. I think if they wanted different kind of game they would have made a different map. If they’re iterating on breath of the wild I’d rather they made it the best version of that concept and focus on a wholly new thing for the next thing.
  • I remember people saying Nintendo had been hiring more level designers recently so perhaps that goes hand in hand with BotW having a different focus. I agree Vela that shrines will likely not be a heavy focus because of what they meant to the narrative of BotW, a game I still need to actually uh, finish.
  • I think it would be great if they get a bit weird like Majora, it certainly seems to be that recipe both in terms of it being a sequel and definitely a darker tone in that trailer.

Other than that I'm happy to gobble up whatever Nintendo think is best to put on a plate.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!