Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER THREAD
  • Roujin wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    I was half expecting Finn to confess his undying love, since the film was so busy pretending TLJ never happened.
    That is literally what I thought he was going to say. Didnt think he was going to mention that he is force sensitive.
    Yep, because your last dying words to a close friend being "BTW I GOT THE FORCE YO!" are so far down the list of things you would say in that situation it's hilarious that that is what he was going to say even if he didnt fancy Rey. My hot take is that this was a JJ mystery plot thread that never got resolved, was just there to add some extra something to the scene and he was never going to follow up on it until the interview questions came in. The big dummy.
    If a friend and I were about to die in quicksand, and with their last breath they revealed their big secret was that they can use the force, then the last words they'd have heard would have been me screaming "Well fucking use it to get us out of here you twat!". And to be honest when watching the film, i thought them stuck in quicksand would be a chance for Rey to show her powers by getting them out of it...instead of them all effectively drowning and escaping by a bizarre flukey 'tunnels under quicksand' setup.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    There are always tunnels under the quickrocks, always.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • No one ever really quicksand
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Rey can pull back a transport but can't levitate a few meat bags. What pish.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Skerret wrote:
    There are always tunnels under the quickrocks, always.

There's always money in the banana stand

*no touching*
    SFV - reddave360
  • Still not the worst quicksand scene in a modern sequel to a Lucas classic.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Quicksand scene in Krull is the genre standout I think. Robbie Coltrane looks so unphased by the whole thing, it's very realistic.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Still not the worst quicksand scene in a modern sequel to a Lucas classic.

Just rewatched some of the scene to which you refer. I'd forgotten how truly aweful that sequel is.
  • Just thinking of that quicksand scene (edit; star wars one!)...maybe it's my memory tricking me but did it not also look really weird and very obvious that they were in something 'different'? like in the middle of the dessert, someone dug out a small pond and filled it with maltesers.

Thinking about that scene generally, i think it sums the whole film up. conveniently and chaotically, they all end up landing in the same small patch of danger, there's a forced and rushed emotional/dramatic bit as they get ready to die, before a miraculous escape, "oo look there's the thing we needed", and move on to the next bit.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Every time someone suggests that Lucas could have made a better final trilogy for Star Wars, I’d like to make them rewatch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and the interviews with Spielberg & Lucas from the DVD extras, pausing on the moment where Lucas talks about having the idea to bring aliens into the story and Spielberg gives the BEST eyeroll.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Lucas is best served constrained by others. Worst thing that happened to him was success.
  • I have gone on record many a time as saying I don't think Aliens is an issue with Indy. Most everything else about that film is shite, but Ancient Aliens slip right into the Indy universe IMO.
  • I rewatched it over Christmas and can confirm that for me, the worst parts IN ORDER OF WORSTNESS are: Aliens, Little animated critters (including the monkeys but not the ants, the ants are okay), Shia LaBoeuf, Cate Blanchett’s accent, Cate Blanchett’s character, and the fridge incident.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I have gone on record many a time as saying I don't think Aliens is an issue with Indy. Most everything else about that film is shite, but Ancient Aliens slip right into the Indy universe IMO.

Yep, if you think God is any more plausible than little grey men...
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • There's a big canon of quasi-science and literature that deals with Ancient Alien theory, so it never seemed off to me. Temple of Doom didn't fit with 1 and 3 but was certainly from that tract of pseudo-archaeology that Indy dealt with.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I have gone on record many a time as saying I don't think Aliens is an issue with Indy. Most everything else about that film is shite, but Ancient Aliens slip right into the Indy universe IMO.

AGREE.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The worst parts were, all the bits that happened in it.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    The music was fine.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The music was not fine.
  • I didn't mind the aliens so much but I don't think Indie fits in a post-war era.
    The world shrunk massively in that era and it was no longer Indie's world. They did recognise this but not enough to just not make the movie.
    The comic books and serials moved on to sci-fi and space race stuff and Lucas' comment on that era was Star Wars.
    Bringing this conversation neatly full circle and back on topic.
  • I would prefer seeing further adventures of Indy, the nazis, and obscure Christian mythology. If anything, switching up to the obscure mythology of other major world religions would have been a better fit than casual communism and WOO ALIENS.
  • I think it relates more to the fears of the time. It was set in a period where Nazis were no longer a threat, but Reds and Space were.
  • True, and they had to address the fact that Harrison Ford is older now, so were forced to set it in that era. It’s logical, but that doesn’t change it being shit.
  • Also there's the whole mayans worshipping people from space thing and building weird temples dedicated to them which I think is strong enough to stand on it's own merits in the context of weird archeological/occult shit that the nazis were persuing. But they could also have just as easily worked in another local opponent a la Temple of Doom. I feel like they went with Nazis for 4 because it's familiar and the film was coming back after decades.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • This thread has gone off the rails
  • Revan from KOTOR is canon again.

Disney to get EA to make a new KOTOR? KOTOR film/Disney+ show?
  • Hahahahahaha omgggggg.

Disney are like "Shit, we took all the fan feedback on board and they still hated Episode 9, the little shits! Okay, okay, everybody be cool, we can still make our projected revenue and keep the shareholders happy and keep our jobs but we need to find something and quick. Fuck, okay, fuck, umm is there anything we can salvage back from the EU? Who is the most popular EU character? Oh fuck, it was fucking Boba Fett, oh jesus fucking christ, okay, okay, everybody calm down, what is the next most popular thing from the EU after Boba fucking Fett? Someone call fucking google and buy another chunk of analytics taken from the theforce.net...okay...here we go...okay it's KOTOR everybody, these fucking nerds fucking loved these RPGs back in the day apparently, and they already made two games? Well shit son, that sounds like two thirds of a BRAND NEW trilogy to me! Oh thank fuck, our bonuses will remain intact!"

And then everyone just does a load of coke, or something.
  • Interesting (the alleged reddit leak)...It makes sense....moostly. Its wonderfully comforting to me that JJ hated, nay utterly despised TLJ as much as I did. Would love to see the JJ cut. Disney back the fuck up on yo Star Wars dawg.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Revan from KOTOR is canon again.

Disney to get EA to make a new KOTOR? KOTOR film/Disney+ show?

Awesome. Hopefully there is an Old Republic movie coming or a triology. If you want to give the franchise a kick up the arse and give people more sith and jedi and battles then Old Republic is the way to go.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-06-star-wars-rise-of-the-skywalker-makes-the-old-republics-revan-canon

...Perhaps Lucasfilm's move to make Revan canon should come as no surprise, given it hinted as much in The Last Jedi. Eagle-eyed viewers of that movie may have noticed a subtle nod to Revan in the film. Inside Luke's home is a red crystal. According to the book, Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary, this is a "fragmented Sith lightsaber crystal..." that forms a part of a "recovered Jedi Crusader pendant". Jedi Crusaders were a renegade faction of the Jedi Order that battled against the Mandalorians 5000 years before the Star Wars movies. Its founder was Revan...
  • Roujin wrote:
    Also there's the whole mayans worshipping people from space thing and building weird temples dedicated to them which I think is strong enough to stand on it's own merits in the context of weird archeological/occult shit that the nazis were persuing. But they could also have just as easily worked in another local opponent a la Temple of Doom. I feel like they went with Nazis for 4 because it's familiar and the film was coming back after decades.

Indy 4 was shite. Hopefully indy 5 and the fate of atlantis will bring balance to the indy force. Besides odd numbered indy movies have always been better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!