Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER THREAD
  • “That’s not how the force works.”
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Horses for courses innit.
    Let me reiterate, I really didn't like TLJ, but RoS is somehow so much worse that when I compare the two, I sound like I actually like TLJ.

I think TLJ and Rise are both stupid, if maybe in different ways. The difference for me is TLJ is stupid and dull, which gives you time to think about the stupidity during the film. That it for me also completely breaks the story is the real blow though.
    Rise is stupid, but in the service of a fast moving roller-coaster ride. Also thanks to TLJ, I really didn't care anymore, so I was kind of up for anything. I don't think I'll be able to rewatch Rise much, i suspect all the stupidity, coincidence and convenience will be too much to enjoy it again and again...but at least i don't walk out of the film fealing like i'd been sucker-punched.

I saw this youtube thing yesterday where the guy talked about the sequel trilogy being "worse than the sum of it's parts" and that's where i am. Overall feeling is just huge disappointment and it's such a missed opportunity.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • For me, the prequels lowered the bar so far that I stopped caring. The franchise holds no special sauce. These sequels have just been generic fun blockbusters. As such, I’ve enjoyed them but have no desire to rewatch them.

Stopping to think about that, maybe it is a bit sad. Doesn’t reduce the impact or meaning of the OG trilogy though – I still have love for those.
  • It's sad that star wars 10 might not give us so many die hard fans crying at every little thing in the trailers. Those things are really funny.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Star Wars Episode X: The Legend of Babu Frik
  • The one thing I've not seen anyone noting is that with Palpy turning up in this, and being revealed to be the man behind the curtain, it now turns out that the trilogy of trilogies was actually all a story about defeating him.
  • I got the Star Wars sequel/spin off I always wanted with The Mandalorian so I am happy.
    More magic family rows with lightsabers was never top of my want list. The argument is that the Star Wars universe is limited but that has largely been because they have put these artificial limits in, the upshot is you either get soft reboots like TFA or try something different and it crumbles.

More stories about smugglers and bounty hunters, resistance groups and pantomime Generals ploz.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Horses for courses innit. ... Let me reiterate, I really didn't like TLJ, but RoS is somehow so much worse that when I compare the two, I sound like I actually like TLJ.
    I think TLJ and Rise are both stupid, if maybe in different ways. The difference for me is TLJ is stupid and dull, which gives you time to think about the stupidity during the film. That it for me also completely breaks the story is the real blow though. Rise is stupid, but in the service of a fast moving roller-coaster ride. Also thanks to TLJ, I really didn't care anymore, so I was kind of up for anything. I don't think I'll be able to rewatch Rise much, i suspect all the stupidity, coincidence and convenience will be too much to enjoy it again and again...but at least i don't walk out of the film fealing like i'd been sucker-punched.
    This is all bang on.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Star Wars Episode X: The Legend of Babu Frik
    Genuinely I would make a puppet star wars film now. A crew of absolute lunatic puppets. Guardians of the Galaxy but with puppets in the star wars universe. One film. Smaller stakes. Have them save a planet or something. Not a complete send up but obviously way less serious than the normal stuff. Then expand into a trilogy if it works. Would watch.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    More stories about smugglers and bounty hunters, resistance groups and pantomime Generals ploz.

Rogue One was brilliant.
  • 4 episodes in Mando is pretty good I must admit.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I got the Star Wars sequel/spin off I always wanted with The Mandalorian so I am happy. More magic family rows with lightsabers was never top of my want list. The argument is that the Star Wars universe is limited but that has largely been because they have put these artificial limits in, the upshot is you either get soft reboots like TFA or try something different and it crumbles. More stories about smugglers and bounty hunters, resistance groups and pantomime Generals ploz.

This is exactly why I so rated Rogue One compared to the other recent offerings. Shorn of all that space magic, sacred bloodlines, chosen one nonsense it was a really engaging look at another side of that universe.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    poprock wrote:

Rogue One was brilliant.

Being an actual Star Wars fan, this is bang on.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I loved its pathos. Showing how much effort and sacrifice went into a what amounted to a single throwaway line of dialogue in the ‘main’ storyline.
  • Yeah, having only ever seen Rogue One on a long-haul flight, I rewatched it over Christmas in HD on my big tellybox. And yes, it's really quite good. There's still a fair bit wrong with it, but I'd say it's easily the best of the Disney movies.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Rogue One is easily the best of the Disney films so far, although I'm going back to see RoS again tonight.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It's not perfect, but no movie is.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • It's not perfect …

Definitely not. Forrest Whittaker’s weird vocal stretch threatens to scupper the film early on.
  • I feel like i need to make myself rewatch Rogue One to see if I enjoy it more now in comparison to the recent movies, I just thought it was ok at the time but there were a lot of things i didn't like. I thought it tried too hard to link into the mainline films instead of being more isolated and reflect that 'throwaway line' in the originals, and it still carries on the chosen one/bloodline thing in a way which i'd prefer it didn't.
  • The one thing I've not seen anyone noting is that with Palpy turning up in this, and being revealed to be the man behind the curtain, it now turns out that the trilogy of trilogies was actually all a story about defeating him.

The phantom menace was really palps!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Kinda fucks up the Darth Vader arc though doesn't it? He basically redeemed himself by destroying Palpatine's force Skype receiver.

We are going with that "Palps was on the Sith planet all along and doing stuff with clones from the very beginning" take aren't we?
  • I thought about that but assuming Vader thought he was actually killing Palps then he still redeemed himself, even if he did know he still chose to save Luke rather than side with Palps.

I don't think it matters all that much. It has a bit less gravitas but then that was true even as early as TFA because it made it so he didn't actually end the Sith.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Star Wars -III: Palpatine The College Years.
    Things can only get better.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I presume Palps when he was at home pottered about in slippers and tidied up around his throne, then vacationed on the Death Star (which appears to be a planet destroying space station but is really his personal Club Med/Hedonism) but he had his membership revoked by the management so scuttled back home to recuperate under a sun lamp for a few decades.

He'd been cooking up the clone business since forever and the Death Star shenanigans was a bit of a sideshow, his plummeting down a shaft an inconvenience. Big deal for Vader and the sprog, mainly just annoying for Palpy. He plays the long game.

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • You...old sponge!
  • Palpy’s been spaffing out self-clones from his underground factory all along and killing one off down a shaft wasn’t a big deal. Presumably some sort of force-malarkey enabled him to transfer his consciousness/memories from one clone to the next. Dunno why he’s using the fucked-up clone with knackered hands and a robot meathook instead of one that has a functioning spine, but there you go.
  • monkey wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Horses for courses innit. ... Let me reiterate, I really didn't like TLJ, but RoS is somehow so much worse that when I comp C4are the two, I sound like I actually like TLJ.
    I think TLJ and Rise are both stupid, if maybe in different ways. The difference for me is TLJ is stupid and dull, which gives you time to think about the stupidity during the film. That it for me also completely breaks the story is the real blow though. Rise is stupid, but in the service of a fast moving roller-coaster ride. Also thanks to TLJ, I really didn't care anymore, so I was kind of up for anything. I don't think I'll be able to rewatch Rise much, i suspect all the stupidity, coincidence and convenience will be too much to enjoy it again and again...but at least i don't walk out of the film fealing like i'd been sucker-punched.
    This is all bang on.
    Yup totally agree. Ram, your outlook on the new trilogy sounds almost identical to mine. You have been able to communicate your thoughts in such an eloquent way that I have been unsuccessful in doing.well done that man!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Eloquent? Moi?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Palpy’s been spaffing out self-clones from his underground factory all along and killing one off down a shaft wasn’t a big deal. Presumably some sort of force-malarkey enabled him to transfer his consciousness/memories from one clone to the next. Dunno why he’s using the fucked-up clone with knackered hands and a robot meathook instead of one that has a functioning spine, but there you go.
    It's all about the presentation. He needs to set the mood.

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!