Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER THREAD
  • The whole idea of the Sith TomTom was daft. Not as daft as the ancient knife which was a guide to how to find one on a crashed star base that presumably wasn’t crashed when the knife was forged, but only if you’re standing in the exact spot which Rey stood in when she figured it out.
  • Why wouldn't you?

Because there is no reason to assume it is. Is it really a massive stretch to think that it might be for Vader?
  • In a way yes because it was in the emperors secret room and darth Vader had one already on his home planet (where kylo gets it from)
    Edit: perhaps a palpatine family only lock like in bioshock.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I posted my bit for shit. I'm now lost in the lore so unsure if it's helped or hurted but I'll go back to reading this thread.
  • poprock wrote:
    The whole idea of the Sith TomTom was daft. Not as daft as the ancient knife which was a guide to how to find one on a crashed star base that presumably wasn’t crashed when the knife was forged, but only if you’re standing in the exact spot which Rey stood in when she figured it out.
    this.

the tomtom is daft but seemed simple to me. it tells the route through a 'maze'. if you know the route, you don't need the tomtom anymore...hence Rey transmitting the route back to the fleet when she went through. So I'd guess Palps would know the route. Why would he have had one on the death star, or was it put there after? Dunno.
    Maybe he did use it, then Snoke put it back on the death star for a laugh...they had 30 years to waste before their big comeback after all.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • poprock wrote:
    The whole idea of the Sith TomTom was daft. Not as daft as the ancient knife which was a guide to how to find one on a crashed star base that presumably wasn’t crashed when the knife was forged, but only if you’re standing in the exact spot which Rey stood in when she figured it out.

I don't know, I've started hunting for treasure by holding my bread knife at a certain angle and looking at old derelict buildings.

Nothing yet, but I'll keep you posted.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I actually like the idea of Palps being a clone on the Sith planet all along. He could have been stuck there after bumping off his old master Darth Reg the Wise, but he's badly wounded in doing so and on space life support.

He can't transfer his full life force into anyone but a tier 1 force dude, so he's stuck there. Palpatine or his clones or whatever are only able to take a fraction of the FULL POWER OF THE DARK SIDE, but it's enough to take over the galaxy and scour for an appropriate vessel.

Anakin is that vessel, but gets damaged in transit. Luke is next in line, but RotJ happens and he's had to start again with Snoke instead of Palps, still on the look out for Luke. Once Luke is out of action, and his Snoke form is gone, he turns to Kylo and Rey and lures them in to take one or the other.

He's like a fucking hermit crab looking for a bigger shell to contain more power, totally consumed by the need for yet more again. Even if he got Anakin/Luke/Rey or Kylo, he'd still be looking for a more powerful being.
  • Yeah I agree with that and if they had thought about it sooner they could have implemented it quite nicely into TLJ and maybe even a bit in TFA.
    The killing of Snoke could have been like a test before Palps reveals his location to Ren, then Rey kills him and Palps turns his attention to Rey.
    Palps could have told Rey about the Tom-Tom and dagger indirectly, like an episode of Derren Brown, rather than Rey just reading a book.
    Something like that.

It could have been much better implemented, even if I think digging too deep is a bit pointless.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's not that deep, just explaining the reasons for the character being where he is and giving him a simple motivation which flows through the films.
  • Average film.

Summary of the three episodes:

1) Hey, let's make a new trilogy and start by reminding people when Star Wars was good (so let's remake the 1st film)
    2) Now we've established the new characters, lets kill off some baggage and do something different
    3) Oh, fans didn't like change, let's fuck off all of the 2nd episode and remake the 2nd and 3rd films again, but as well as making two films in one we need to shoehorn in plot/backstory stuff that would normally have been in the 2nd episode

Impressions after watching:
    1: I came out thinking I'd seen it before but enjoyed it
    2: Enjoyed it, different
    3: I. Have. Seen. This. Before. I don't want to watch a remix of the first three films.

There are less fanservicey fictions on the internet than this epsiode. I was amazed they didn't go into a trash compactor when they went into the Death Star Star Destroyer. The fanservice stuff is for the first film, do something different for the others.

Have. Some. Balls. Disney. Next time, write some form of arc, and set some ground rules for writers and directors. Don't change tact in between each film.

I did like the end of the film, and I really enjoyed the Rey/Ren relationship throughout the three but overall, what a waste of time. Only the 2nd tried something different and they burned that from existence.

And what was Finn going to tell Rey? Actually, I don't care - it's one of the hundreds of underdeveloped scenes in the jam packed film.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Finn Rey thing you can find from JJ Abram earlier in the thread. Although it's also not worth it.
  • It's not that deep, just explaining the reasons for the character being where he is and giving him a simple motivation which flows through the films.

It's an interesting concept sparky...though i think I'd prefer the master hermit to maybe not have been palps? Palps was that vessel for that time, the hermit something different from before his time...Maybe it could have been that Reg character he keeps talking about in the prequels.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's not that deep, just explaining the reasons for the character being where he is and giving him a simple motivation which flows through the films.

It's an interesting concept sparky...though i think I'd prefer the master hermit to maybe not have been palps? Palps was that vessel for that time, the hermit something different from before his time...Maybe it could have been that Reg character he keeps talking about in the prequels.

I was keeping it as close to what we got as I could really. Keeping TFA and TLJ as is and working with what we had. It's more or less the same story but instead of mystery box bollocks you actually fleshed that shit out. Dunno how you do it without a big Palps monologue filling you in on the whole shebang towards the end like.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Darth Reg?

The Wise
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Aye fuck
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yo we found the Sith place...

DCFFB24-B-7690-4860-A358-817-D4-B3-FE5-B9.jpg
  • It’ll be interesting to see if they actually have created a timeline between Death Star 2 blowing up and The Force Awakens.

Specifically the time between Rey being left off Jakooine and where that bounty hunter taking her parents to palpatine (somehow)
  • There are cannon books that came out around the time of TFA iirc.
    I believe they cover the battle of Jakku that resulted in all the crashed ships Rey and her scavenger friends harvest.
  • Darth Reg?
    The Wise

finishedcard07.jpg
  • It's not that deep, just explaining the reasons for the character being where he is and giving him a simple motivation which flows through the films.
    I was keeping it as close to what we got as I could really. Keeping TFA and TLJ as is and working with what we had. It's more or less the same story but instead of mystery box bollocks you actually fleshed that shit out. Dunno how you do it without a big Palps monologue filling you in on the whole shebang towards the end like.
    aye, we're trying to build a palace from some rubble.
    just extrapolating from the nonsense we got, it's an interesting idea so just playing it out if it had actually been considered all along...
    in saying that, in general i hate the trope of "oh wait, you killed the bad guy, but secretly there's an even bigger baddie that was just pulling his strings" so if they'd shoe-horned that in at the last minute it would have irritated as much as bringing palps back, just in a different way.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Apparently when they shot Return of the Jedi, Lucas told Ian McDiarmid the Emperor died when he was flung down the reactor shaft (from a certain point of view obviously).
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    A certain point of view?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I think you had to stand on a certain spot and hold up a dagger...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I went to the public premiere of Episode 3 in Leicester Square. It was an all day thing that started with Episode 4 at about 7am, then 5, 6, 1 and 2 before 3. The proper premiere was happening in a neighbouring cinema and afterwards all the celebs including Lucas, Daniels, McGregor etc. came over to our cinema and came in and met with the audience. It was a great day for any Star Wars fan and my now wife even got to hug/grab Lucas. It was actually cool and nice, great atmosphere. Anyway, Lucas gave a short speech and the crowd started chanting “We want more” to which he replied (I’m
    paraphrasing here obviously): “Star Wars was the story of Anakin Skywalker. We started with his birth and it ends with his death. There will be no more.” True story.

FWIW I think there is truth in that JJ Reddit thing even if it did read like a child wrote it (which most of my posts here do also).
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just watched this. All sorts of silliness , and McGuffins and all the rest - and the Emperor shouldn't have been brought back - but it did show that the new trilogy was desperately lacking in a real bad guy. McDiarmuid was enjoyable yet again.

Could they not have just done a better job of Snoke and not killed him off?

But you know what? It felt like a Star Wars film. It makes the 2nd film look even worse. It shows they could have done a good job of this trilogy if they had had a good script and real proper bad guy. Sigh.

I'd watch this one again. I thought it was good and it made me feel like it was the early 80s again. So there.  John Williams is a genius.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    John Williams is a genius.

One thing about Star Wars we can all agree on. Hurrah!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I sat all through the credits just to listen.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The music has always been to the benefit of Star Wars.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The theme to Rey scavenging junk is up there as some of my favourite Star Wars music. Genius.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!