Merry Christmas
  • Hah, yeah she's quality. I may start on Mrs Merton when I'm back in the smoke Friday, I never watched them when they aired.
  • Yeah likewise. I think she was fantastic but never really caught much of Mrs Merton.
  • I was invited to spend the day with my friends and their kids (boys, one newly four, the other nearly seven).

Had a lie in, opened the presents under the tree (one for the dog from my mum, one for me from my brother and his family) showered, dressed, and walked up to my friends.

My mate had texted in the morning saying there were things for me to help build. Right enough, I was barely in the door and the box for a slot-racing set was thrust into my hands. So I put that together, while drinking a couple of glasses of the mulled wine I’d brought up.

My mate’s missus has quite traditional hobbies; crochet, baking, sewing. Today she was wearing a skirt which she made herself for the day. As you might imagine, she’s a star in the kitchen, so her turkey with all the trimmings was delicious.

While they did the washing up, the two boys and I had a lengthy Nerf gun fight. I won.

We stopped, but they were still washing up, so the peace process failed and we descended rapidly into Nerf War II (which I also won, and retired undefeated).

We exchanged out presents. Unfortunately their intended present for me has not arrived but a) they gave me a Cineworld gift card as a backup, and b) my mate’s mum - who is in Canada visiting her other son and his family - knew I’d be there for Christmas, so she’d bought me a couple of gifts to open. They’re a sweet family.

Given the abundance of exciting toys on the go, I was worried the books I’d got them wouldn’t get much attention, but the eldest was immediately lost in his Lego Star Wars annual (I also got him a book all about space, his current favourite thing) and it turns out that the youngest has been watching the 2018 Grinch film on repeat all December, so the Dr. Seuss book and Grinch cuddly toy I got him went down waaay better than I could have hoped.

Wondered home, and I’m drip-feeding the dog the treats from my mum.

I’ll chalk up Christmas 2019 as a success.
  • Nice one Andy, glad you had a good one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aherne also did a small series with Craig Cash with Cash playing her son. Very offbeat and a bit weird but watchable.

Wifey played a blinder re todays' dinner. Both turkey and ham were God like. Honeyed parsnips and carrots + sprouts chopped and fried with bacon bits. Roast spuds in goose fat were the best yet. There was buttery mash and the pigs in blankets of course.

Wifey insists on a retro 70s melon/cherry starter drenched with Cointreau. We can't agree on any other starter due to tastes. I'd be for smoked salmon but I'd also be the only one eating it.

My pudding was splendid btw.  No room for the cheese so that will be for another day.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Reckon I've got one more turkey and stuffing sandwich in me and I could probably go one more round with the pavlova. After all, the world needs heroes...
    I find this hard to picture, stuffing is not something I'm familiar with. Saw it for the first time on the Bon Appétit Thanksgiving series, but it's mainly bread? With herbs? So you have a sandwich, and put bread and turkey on that? I'd probably eat it.

We went to It's a Wonderful Life at noon, which was amazing. Then we were all hungry, tried a couple places but they were closed. Ended up at a Buffalo Wild Wings, which is probably my favourite fast food chain together with In 'n Out. I love those wings.
    Decided to drive into a rich neighbourhood nearby on the way home, to watch some ridiculous Christmas decorations, I'll post photos if B took some good ones.
    Also ate all my secret Santa chocolate just now and don't think I'll actually need dinner.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Turkey and ham pie for lunch

I'm not sure I can cope
  • acemuzzy wrote:

I'm not sure I can cope

We were doing a turkey and ham Wellington in the restaurant for Christmas. Absolutely delicious. Is it a shortcrust or puff pastry pie?

SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Unclear atm, it's at the in-laws
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Reckon I've got one more turkey and stuffing sandwich in me and I could probably go one more round with the pavlova. After all, the world needs heroes...
    I find this hard to picture, stuffing is not something I'm familiar with. Saw it for the first time on the Bon Appétit Thanksgiving series, but it's mainly bread? With herbs? So you have a sandwich, and put bread and turkey on that? I'd probably eat it.

We went to It's a Wonderful Life at noon, which was amazing. Then we were all hungry, tried a couple places but they were closed. Ended up at a Buffalo Wild Wings, which is probably my favourite fast food chain together with In 'n Out. I love those wings.
    Decided to drive into a rich neighbourhood nearby on the way home, to watch some ridiculous Christmas decorations, I'll post photos if B took some good ones.
    Also ate all my secret Santa chocolate just now and don't think I'll actually need dinner.

Stuffing is mainly sausage meat, flavoured with herbs, with breadcrumbs as a bit of a filler. Probably similar to meat loaf? The most common for Christmas is sage and onion, but you can do whatever flavour you like.

How did the beef turn out in the end nina?
  • I'll be expecting regular updates. Will they be serving it with mash, maybe a little jus? Public needs to know.

26th is always out 'light' dinner of the festive. I'll be grilling some seabass to go with a nice crisp salad.

After that, it's as you were and back to gorging on leftovers, crisps and chocolate.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

I'm not sure I can cope

Chips, egg, cold turkey and ham with pickles for us. Turkey and ham pie sounds amazing though.
  • Ah well, back to work today. Bloody Christmas football! St Mirren today which is mercifully close to home, then the Dundee derby tomorrow.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 24th - 1300 start
    25th - 1000 start
    26th - 0600 start

My body hates me. I'm so fucking shattered *cries*
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    After an absolute shit show of a year, personally and in the world, what an absolute delight Xmas 2019 was. Only thing I would change was that I would have liked my wife there, but we are both stubborn asshats and have never yet had an Xmas together as we want to be with our respective families, so I've made my peace there. Next year may be different but w/e.

Met at 1, a few drinks and opened presents. At this point there's no pretences - I want games, my sister wants vinyl, dad wants food and mum wants Amazon vouchers. So that was all dealt with.

Meal was, as mentioned elsewhere, fantastic. No wastage and great quality produce from valvona and local butchers. Following that, some quizzes and then two rounds of Sherlock Holmes consulting detective. 11pm taxi home (yo £27 from duddingston to Silverknowes.....) And a good night sleep.

Grand.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nina wrote:

Stuffing can be made of many things.

The basic one is made of breadcrumbs , sage and onion.

But you can add different things to this. Some add meat. At Christmastime you will get more exotic mixes containing chestnuts, cranberries and who knows what else.

At Thanksgiving in the US, oysters can be part of the stuffing too. Never tried that though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Stuffing is basically bread here, with herbs, onions and bits and bobs (cranberries this year, nice addition). Stuffing a turkey with sausage would be overkill.
  • Stuffing is high on the tier list of roast dinner components, I once had just a whole dish of stuffing for dinner. Love it. Any added fruit can get fucked tho, not for me thanks. Same with cheese.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't actually stuff the turkey with stuffing, it cooks much better without it. I bake the stuffing in a tray on its own.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Stuffing is a key pay of a Christmas meal for me. Second only to gravy, and slightly ahead of ham.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have ascended beyond fowl for Christmas lunch. Couldn't do it at present. Don't want a massive bird with stuffing at present. Give me a nice bespoke meal.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I have ascended beyond fowl for Christmas lunch. Couldn't do it at present. Don't want a massive bird with stuffing at present. Give me a nice bespoke meal.

Salmon and wedges here (potato & sweet potato). With a salad.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I just had a roast chicken leg and toast for breakfast. Magical.
  • Stuffing gives me absolutely evil never ending farts.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Sausage stuffing, turkey, stilton and bacon panini for lunch here, with home made plum chutney. It's like I'm trying to give myself gout.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce sandwich here. Going to my uncle's party today and I've seen trays of roast duck with all the pancake trimmings. Bit odd but I'll have a go.
  • I hate stuffing, evil stuff.
    Bloody stinks too.

I had slow cooked beef with mash, Yorkshires, veg, pigs in blankets, gravy.
    Yule log afterwards that only the fiance had some of.

Was meant to go visit family but was rough from the night before and kept getting visitors so fiancee went on her own.

Late night again and an early morning, got up hoovers round my guests who slept over (1 in spare room 1 on couch) then washed all the xmas dinner dishes etc.
    Can relax now and wait till fiancee eventually rises from her grave and watch footy all day.

Merry Christmas everyone.
  • No leftovers for me so I had a Lidl beef caserole + toast for breakfast and chicken goujons + kale mash for lunch.
  • One thing I'm not keen on at all is cranberry sauce. I can eat it, it's fine, but never actively seek it out and will avoid if optional. It sucks because I love xmas sandwiches in shops but every one of the fucker has cranberry sauce in it, I'd kill for just a turkey and stuffing sandwich.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Stuffing gives me absolutely evil never ending farts.

So true.

However just had turkey, horseradish and stuffing sandwich with a couple mimosas.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!