PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ^ I like the sound of that

edit1: fucking typical

edit2: down there, not up there
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Supergrass have a decent catalogue of songs, so perhaps they’re an option for a later vote.
    Alright
    The Forum Herald™
  • I liked Uncle’s suggestion of Madonna. Also thought about Lady Gaga as an option, or Wu-tang Clan. Beastie Boys? Björk?
  • There have been some good suggestions so far.

What I will say is I am more likely to select artists that offer a level of variety or re-invention in their back catalogue or are just generally the type of artist that have mass appeal. This is to try to keep as many people as possible posting and interested and discussion varied.
  • Led Zeppelin or Michael Jackson
  • Bowie would be a good shout then

Edit ha ha. Not because he wasn't a paedo but because his output changed so much.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Beastie Boys
    Dr Dre
  • Supergrass have a decent catalogue of songs, so perhaps they’re an option for a later vote.
    Spoiler:
  • Relistened to know your enemy and postcards

KYE is so uneven, and, in fact, I'll concede most is bad/subpar. But the highs are really high.

I love Let Roberson Sing, dead martyrs and masses against classes.

To the point I think my final answer is dead martyrs. That chorus.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Supergrass have a decent catalogue of songs, so perhaps they’re an option for a later vote.
    Spoiler:

Good song, I prefer
    Spoiler:
    though, if I had to pick.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Facewon wrote:
    Relistened to know your enemy and postcards

KYE is so uneven, and, in fact, I'll concede most is bad/subpar. But the highs are really high.

I like Ocean Spray (that trumpet and that personal lyric) and Miss Europa Disco Dancer (brain dead mutha fuckers).
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Facewon wrote:

I like Ocean Spray (that trumpet and that personal lyric) and Miss Europa Disco Dancer (brain dead mutha fuckers).

Unless the AU release is a different tracklisting, TMATC wasn't on KYE... At least in the UK.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Facewon wrote:

Unless the AU release is a different tracklisting, TMATC wasn't on KYE... At least in the UK.

It
    Was either a single only release or a greatest hits single?
    The Forum Herald™
  • It was single only, but also released on the Japanese and Australian versions of Know Your Enemy.
  • Problem solved

It was definitely on the singles/hits collection too
    The Forum Herald™
  • It was single only, but also released on the Japanese and Australian versions of Know Your Enemy.

Ah, I was wondering where it went on the tidal version.

Big loss to the record.

• I mean wow. Didn't even realise that, as far as leaving taste in the mouth, a banger that opens with noam sample is a big loss.
  • It was number one here .. Great single
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm waiting to get a haircut so may as well use the time to call this.

Motorcycle Emptiness wins.
    Seems to strike a chord with the proper fans of the band and the wider audience. Proper good track that.

A lot of good suggestions for the next artist. Some I will definitely pick at a later date.
    In the interest of picking an artist different to the last few while offering a decent amount of discussion.

The next artist is...

Madonna
  • Loads to choose from for me with Madonna.

Vogue, Justify my Love and Like a Prayer immediately come to mind.
  • Not a fan of Madonna, although Like a Prayer is a fantastic song.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Not a huge fan of Mads but she's got some cracking pop songs to choose from. I've got a soft spot for Ray of Light though (the song and the album) as it came out the year got together with my wife and she listened to it a lot at the time.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • She's done some out and out classics including Material girl, Like a Prayer, True Blue, Papa don't preach, Holiday, Like a Virgin, Borderline, Vogue, Hung up, heck I even like Dear Jesse!

Never been a huge fan but her back catalogue would see me buying a greatest hits if I didn't stream all my music now.

I love Borderline but it's True Blue for me, I think I've a dodgy punk cover of it somewhere too.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Tricky one this. I'll have to have a think about it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Like a Prayer, definitely.  Love it.  Then Material Girl, and probably a dozen other runners up worth mentioning.  

I say this almost every time someone mentions Madonna, but The Immaculate Collection is the most wonderfully titled best of ever.  Someone deserved a big Toblerone that day.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Not a huge fan of Mads but she's got some cracking pop songs to choose from. I've got a soft spot for Ray of Light though (the song and the album) as it came out the year got together with my wife and she listened to it a lot at the time.

Cracking album. I'm thinking the Power of Goodbye might be my favorite.
  • Oooh Madonna

Live to Tell
    Rain
    Drowned World/Substitute For Love
  • Madonna and Bowie are the two all-time pop chameleons, for me. Changing, reinventing, but always being essentially themselves. It’s their own takes on each stylistic turn, not pastiche or copying.

Which makes it hard to pick one Madge tune. Do I go with my favourite? Or the song I think is most ‘her’? I dunno.

Contenders:
    Open Your Heart – longing and desire opened out into pure joy. 
    Material Girl – comment on capitalism and excess wrapped up as a pop banger.
    Express Yourself – let’s be honest, she invented Lady Gaga with this one.
    Like a Virgin – it’s the one, the essence, the origin of Madonna.
    Like a Prayer – the best crafted slice; the production, the video, the calculated outrage.
    Frozen – unexpectedly beautiful, showing that pop can be brittle, sharp and cold.
    Ray of Light – don’t think, just dance.
    Cherish – Madonna tries out happiness for once, and nails it like the Beach Boys did.

But it’s none of those. 

It’s Papa Don’t Preach. Lyrically astounding, breathlessly performed, and catchy as hell. True pop perfection.
  • True Blue was one of the first cassettes I ever bought and it's a great great album.

Will have to think about this a bit though.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!